• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Roxa Ski Boot discomfort

EpicSkier14

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi Everyone!

I recently purchased a pair of Roxa Freebird 8 ski boots with an Intuition Power Wrap Liner. I like the boots, but I cannot cram my foot in when there’s a footbed inside. The boots are the right size. Any thought? Should I not use a footbed? Thank you in advance!

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
Yes, with the footbed in to see if more room would be created. It’s way to tight still with a footbed.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What socks are you using? The same weight as the ones when you got the boos molded?

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
Yes. They are medium weight. The brand is Point 6.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
974C48DB-D1D9-4CA9-9769-A3554E508979.jpeg
I also have a bad pressure point where the arrows are.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
DIY or shop mould? If shop moulded, take the boots back and talk to them.
Shop mould. The shop guy said to ski in them today and see how they feel. He thinks the footbeds might to thick. I messaged the company I got the boots from and they said not to use footbeds with intuition liner.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Yes. They are medium weight. The brand is Point 6.

In my old boots I started with an ultra light weight wool sock, then a light weight, then medium weight.

I am now in a size smaller but wider last boot with about 25 days and still wearing an ultra light sock.

So try a thinner sock.

Also, if you have the stock liners, then how do your feet feel with those in your shell?

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
In my old boots I started with an ultra light weight wool sock, then a light weight, then medium weight.

I am now in a size smaller but wider last boot with about 25 days and still wearing an ultra light sock.

So try a thinner sock.

Also, if you have the stock liners, then how do your feet feel with those in your shell?
Feels WAY better with just the liner and shell. Still a bit tight in the tow area. Wondering if that will pack out a bit from breaking the boots in?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Shop mould. The shop guy said to ski in them today and see how they feel. He thinks the footbeds might to thick. I messaged the company I got the boots from and they said not to use footbeds with intuition liner.

Thinning the footbed is one avenue of attack. Start with a thinner (much thinner than your Point 6) sock, though.

If you don't use the footbed, the overall fit will be looser, and the liner will pack out faster. Not a terribly good option, IMO.

Feels WAY better with just the liner and shell. Still a bit tight in the tow area. Wondering if that will pack out a bit from breaking the boots in?

Yes, it can pack out, but you don't want it to. What you do want to pack out is the heel-side foam, so your entire foot sits further back in the boot. And you will get more room for your foot while putting the boot on.

If the toe packs out and you're not using a footbed, your foot will be sliding forward and crunching your toes. That's a self-perpetuating cycle of misery.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
Thinning the footbed is one avenue of attack. Start with a thinner (much thinner than your Point 6) sock, though.

If you don't use the footbed, the overall fit will be looser, and the liner will pack out faster. Not a terribly good option, IMO.

Yes, it can pack out, but you don't want it to. What you do want to pack out is the heel-side foam, so your entire foot sits further back in the boot.

If the toe packs out and you're not using a footbed, your foot will be sliding forward and crunching your toes. That's a self-perpetuating cycle of misery.
How do I pack out the heel? I think I’m going to try to use them without footbeds for today to see how they feel. I also do have a pair of lighter socks I can try. They’re way to big but I suppose they’ll work for now :huh:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
How do I pack out the heel? I think I’m going to try to use them without footbeds for today to see how they feel

1) Ski them for ~10 days with the footbed, making sure you pull up the liner and get the heel down and far back. That first week of use can be quite ouchy - but the liner will be super comfortable for the next 25 weeks of skiing after that.

2) Remould, getting the heel back as far as you can. Get the middle buckle of the boot SUPER tight.

Good luck. That liner can be incredibly comfortable, and incredibly easy to get on (think ooozing into your boot) but it is a process.

Oh, and, again, thinner socks. I was given some MW point 6 socks once, and they are a decent hiking sock.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
1) Ski them for ~10 days with the footbed, making sure you pull up the liner and get the heel down and far back.
2) Remould, getting the heel back as far as you can. Get the middle buckle of the boot SUPER tight.

Good luck. That liner can be seriously comfortable, and incredibly easy to get on (think ooozing into your boot) but it is a process.

Oh, and, again, thinner socks. I was given some MW point 6 socks once, and they are a decent hiking sock.
So you recommend I tough out the discomfort for a week? What if there’s no improvement in that time? Tried some thinnner socks and they feel better. Going skiing in the boots in about an hour! Also, I do have thinner footbeds that came stock in another pair of boots. Should I use these initially?

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So you recommend I tough out the discomfort for a week? What if there’s no improvement in that time? Tried some thinnner socks and they feel better. Going skiing in the boots in about an hour!

Yes, with possible footbed thinning. If there is no improvement, remould.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
footbed + belt sander -> thinner footbed.
Ohhhhh okay. Should I use a pair of thinner footbeds that came with another pair of boots initially? I’m just dreading cramming my foot into the boot with the thicker footbed. I can barely stand in them let alone ski haha

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A lot of us have been there and done that: standing or sitting around is actually hardest. Skiing in them is a huge improvement.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
Okay. I plan to get some thins or super thin socks today and ski with the footbeds.

Sponsor

Staff online