• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Roxa Ski Boot discomfort

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....I was measured and he boots are the correct size.
I put on a pair of Salomon XPro 90’s (size 27.5 with footbed) and they feel WAY more comfortable. They’re just stiff and uncomfortable for freestyle skiing. My footbeds are to short for those boots though. :(

You sound like you need a good bootfitter, not store clerk, not a high school kid who loves to ski, not a casual skier who has a part-time job at the ski shop, but a professional bootfitter, to help you get the right boot. You won't find one at a big box store. I wonder what "measured" means above? I have had bootfitters put me in boots that don't fit after putting my foot on that metal brannock device that measures feet. You may be having the same problem.

Your foot is 3-dimensional. The plastic shell of the boot needs to fit all three dimensions of your foot snugly. The liner adjusts to the permutations of your foot's shape and keeps your foot warm. The shell is able to be adjusted by the bootfitter, usually at no extra cost, to bulge out where you have bulging outward bones. A boot shell cannot be made smaller, only larger in spots. Keep that in mind.

So you need a boot with the right length, width, and height (aka "volume"), and a bootfitter who will do the shaping if it's necessary. There are other factors built into a boot too, but those three determine the fit itself.

Please do not go to a longer boot that your current footbed is too short in, because it feels more "comfortable." After a couple of weeks of skiing, you will regret it.

Last edited:
TS
E

EpicSkier14

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
You sound like you need a good bootfitter, not store clerk, not a high school kid who loves to ski, not a casual skier who has a part-time job at the ski shop, but a professional bootfitter, to help you get the right boot. You won't find one at a big box store. I wonder what "measured" means above? I have had bootfitters put me in boots that don't fit after putting my foot on that metal brannock device that measures feet. You may be having the same problem.

Your foot is 3-dimensional. The plastic shell of the boot needs to fit all three dimensions of your foot snugly. The liner adjusts to the permutations of your foot's shape and keeps your foot warm. The shell is able to be adjusted by the bootfitter, usually at no extra cost, to bulge out where you have bulging outward bones. A boot shell cannot be made smaller, only larger in spots. Keep that in mind.

So you need a boot with the right length, width, and height (aka "volume"), and a bootfitter who will do the shaping if it's necessary. There are other factors built into a boot too, but those three determine the fit itself.

Please do not go to a longer boot that your current footbed is too short in, because it feels more "comfortable." After a couple of weeks of skiing, you will regret it.
Okay. Yes, he put my foot on this flat metal piece with numbers to measure my feet. I didn’t get the boot from him however. I’ve really never gone to a proper Bootfitter. The reason the footbed is to small for the Salomons is because I think the Roxas liner was a little bit shorter, but I’m not sure. Since the ski season here is almost over I’ll probablt wait until next season to get New properly fitted boots.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
I put on a pair of Salomon XPro 90’s (size 27.5 with footbed) and they feel WAY more comfortable. They’re just stiff and uncomfortable for freestyle skiing. My footbeds are to short for those boots though. :([/QUOTE

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Why does it take so many posts to uncover that the OP needs some basic help from a boot fitter?

Doesn’t anyone out here want to know if he is a real 26 or a 27? Does it matter if he is A width or a EEE width? Curious about his Heel/instep dimensions? How about his age? Weight? Height? Where he skis? what skis he is attempting to drive with a low flex boot? Is anyone curious about his ankle range of motion? What the footbed type and brand and model is? And whether the footbed trim is anywhere close to his actual foot size? Or what the bootboard looks like in the bottom of the Roxa?

I guess it doesn’t really matter, is prolly just as easy to adjust the cuff alignment, throw out the footbed and call it good...

February cynicism and sarcasm starting to take over my boot fitting skills...

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
Why does it take so many posts to uncover that the OP needs some basic help from a boot fitter?

Doesn’t anyone out here want to know if he is a real 26 or a 27? Does it matter if he is A width or a EEE width? Curious about his Heel/instep dimensions? How about his age? Weight? Height? Where he skis? what skis he is attempting to drive with a low flex boot? Is anyone curious about his ankle range of motion? What the footbed type and brand and model is? And whether the footbed trim is anywhere close to his actual foot size? Or what the bootboard looks like in the bottom of the Roxa?

I guess it doesn’t really matter, is prolly just as easy to adjust the cuff alignment, throw out the footbed and call it good...

February cynicism and sarcasm starting to take over my boot fitting skills...
Thank you and I really do appreciate it. I’m 14, 6’1, 145 and have a 9.5 shoe size. And I would say I have a high arch. The skis I’m trying to drive at the Line Tom Wallisch Pro. The footbed is the “Tactical” from Patriot footbeds. Here is a pic of the bootboard.

Attachments

• 24EDC1FE-E65E-4642-8429-3205CE8961E1.jpeg
    24EDC1FE-E65E-4642-8429-3205CE8961E1.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 38FF4CAF-5BFE-492F-8A44-37C45E6831A9.jpeg
    38FF4CAF-5BFE-492F-8A44-37C45E6831A9.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 12

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Thank you! What size are the Roxa boots? Being 14tears old and owning size 9.5 shoes, basically means that you are going to measure 25.5 or just into the 26 range on the brannock, The boots you buying are not only the wrong shape, but the wrong size! Do whatever it takes to find a real boot fitter where you live or where you ski.

Where do you live, where do you ski? We can direct you to a guy that can really help you to have the best chance of being the best skier you can be. And also have happy feet...

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
Thank you! What size are the Roxa boots? Being 14tears old and owning size 9.5 shoes, basically means that you are going to measure 25.5 or just into the 26 range on the brannock, The boots you buying are not only the wrong shape, but the wrong size! Do whatever it takes to find a real boot fitter where you live or where you ski.

Where do you live, where do you ski? We can direct you to a guy that can really help you to have the best chance of being the best skier you can be. And also have happy feet...
They are a 27.5 (9.5). I live in Maine, and ski at the Camden Snow Bowl.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
My dad who has the same size put the Roxas on. He has the same problem. Looks that is one of the only Roxa boots made with the tongue design. Going to go to a bootfitter and try to get a newer pair of Roxas and return these ones.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My dad who has the same size put the Roxas on. He has the same problem. Looks that is one of the only Roxa boots made with the tongue design. Going to go to a bootfitter and try to get a newer pair of Roxas and return these ones.
If you go to a good boot fitter, don't go with any preconceptions or brand in mind. The fitter will look at your feet, stance, and should ask about your skiing and find the right boot for you.

If there's no particular reason you need Roxa (like getting them free or being required to get them) then let the boot fitter pick the brand.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
If you go to a good boot fitter, don't go with any preconceptions or brand in mind. The fitter will look at your feet, stance, and should ask about your skiing and find the right boot for you.

If there's no particular reason you need Roxa (like getting them free or being required to get them) then let the boot fitter pick the brand.
I like to do Freestyle skiing so I think a freestyle boot like Roxas would fit my skiing good. Of course if they don’t fit right, they wouldn’t be good at all.

TS
E

EpicSkier14

Skier
Thank you everyone for your help and time. I will be returning the Roxa boots and going to a boot fitter next season. I talked to a bootfitter at a ski demo and he wasn’t in favor of Roxa. He wants to get me in a pair of Dalbello’s.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you everyone for your help and time. I will be returning the Roxa boots and going to a boot fitter next season. I talked to a bootfitter at a ski demo and he wasn’t in favor of Roxa. He wants to get me in a pair of Dalbello’s.

Did he look at your feet to make that assessment? Or is he just a fan of Dalbello?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
OK... sorry to harp on this. Perhaps he's got a good eye and made an assessment based on your body type. But try not to go in with a particular brand in mind - if he does the right things, he'll find the right boot for your anatomy. (Or possibly several that would work, depending on how hard a fit you are.)

Good luck next season, and I hope you get it sorted! Getting boots that fit well and correctly can make a big difference. :)