• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSA: Tech Tip, How to Use a Ski Rack in Two Easy Steps.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait --- you step OVER them?

I find some satisfaction stepping right on them. I'm also using my poles for balance and sometimes the tips of my poles "rest" on the top surface of the skis that are strewn about.
You could just take the time to turn them all over so the bases are up. Then offenders can’t easily find their skis. This works best when the snow is a little soft as the bindings can dig into the snow and the ski bases are flat.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've skied Killington, Pico, Keystone, and Loveland so far this season. Only resort I saw people leaving skis in the snow and not using the racks was at Loveland. They did have signs indicating where to leave them and that seemed to work.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I get it when the racks are full or aren't out but then leave them off to the side somewhere.

These are the same people who don't put carts in the corral.

Last edited by a moderator:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am guessing this is because they weren't staffing their ski check, and/or don't have enough racks. Here's the fence and snow in the morning... around lunch time, a lot of that area between the patio and fence was full of skis.

The other way to look at it - it was to keep the people on the terrain park runout from whizzing through standing crowds.

Keeping unattended skis behind the fence is a secondary objective.

Have you been to 7S much of late? This is very much a 7S style crowd management idea, transplanted via VR.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
A twist to this was Friday where I put my skis in a rack to have a beer with friends. When heading out I could not find the ski rack much less my skis, which threw me for a loop. Then I see them thrown together with a bunch of others on a smaller rack. Someone had moved all of the skis from a couple racks which were then moved 100 feet away and were empty. WTF?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A twist to this was Friday where I put my skis in a rack to have a beer with friends. When heading out I could not find the ski rack much less my skis, which threw me for a loop. Then I see them thrown together with a bunch of others on a smaller rack. Someone had moved all of the skis from a couple racks which were then moved 100 feet away and were empty. WTF?

LOL, I was at a ski area where all the RFID gates and at least one ski rack were mounted on snowboards

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
…and then she got up (miraculously) and proceeded to leave her skis on the snow.

This is after she came in too hot, was scrubbing speed to do a hockey stop but ran over a pair of skis on the snow.

Last edited:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not just Bay Area people ... it is an epidemic all over. Lazyness and lack of consideration for others. If you want to park your skis and not use the racks, fine. But don't leave them in front of the racks blocking them so other have to step over them.
Just step on them and do your best to damage them without hurting yourself. That will teach them.

Or if you're feeling petty, pick up some random ski (not the set, but just one of them), and relocate them somewhere else.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
True story.....
At Aspen several years ago, we watched a woman ski up to the door of the restaurant, click out of her skis and just walk in, leaving her skis and poles RIGHT THERE!
Phil picked them up and put them in the rack.
I bet she spent some time looking for her skis when she came out.

I thought.... maybe she had to pee really bad.

Sponsor

Staff online