• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSA: Tech Tip, How to Use a Ski Rack in Two Easy Steps.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Way too many stupid people from the bay area
Not just Bay Area people ... it is an epidemic all over. Lazyness and lack of consideration for others. If you want to park your skis and not use the racks, fine. But don't leave them in front of the racks blocking them so other have to step over them.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Bay area tourists and city folks are bringing their rentals into the lodge, splitting their 10year old k2s, or putting on a bike chain lock, since they're afraid of theft.
In my opinion it's the regulars that are the worst offenders, a bit like dogs peeing on something to show dominance and they own the place. The local teams and athletes, who should have the most knowledge of etiquette, are the worst offenders as they are so accustomed to just leaving their gear on snow next to the starting areas and finish.

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not just Bay Area people ... it is an epidemic all over. Lazyness and lack of consideration for others. If you want to park your skis and not use the racks, fine. But don't leave them in front of the racks blocking them so other have to step over them.

Wait --- you step OVER them?

I find some satisfaction stepping right on them. I'm also using my poles for balance and sometimes the tips of my poles "rest" on the top surface of the skis that are strewn about.

goaliedad

Getting off the lift
Skier
I will admit on quiet midweek days where I'm simply running into the bathroom, I'll leave my skis flat on the snow, but always well away from where anyone would need to walk. Definitely a good concise video though ... just missing the "follow me for more recipes" part ;-)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not just Bay Area people ... it is an epidemic all over.

Here's a new development... Whitetail in PA yesterday had an orange fence set up, with signs saying "please place all equipment behind fence". I.e. they cordoned off the snow near the patio for people to drop equipment onto.

I am guessing this is because they weren't staffing their ski check, and/or don't have enough racks. Here's the fence and snow in the morning... around lunch time, a lot of that area between the patio and fence was full of skis.

Whitetail 022424 004 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

I don't know if this is the new norm, or staffing issues, or what... I haven't been there much the last couple of seasons. But the ski check used to be really nice. It's at the far end of the patio in the pic - you used to hand your skis to folks and they'd give you a number... it was free but they encouraged tips/donations. And they don't have a ton of racks on the patio area. And the race teams did used to leave their skis on the snow anyway, to lots of folks consternation - I guess they're leaning into that. I think it kind of sucks, and looks terrible compared to how it could be.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
lol I went on a rant to my daughter yesterday about the minefield of skis laying around the base lodge

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
We need a Phil PSA for people stopping in front of lift accesses or stopping in them to wait for friends....it's like a group of people who stop inside or outside main entrance to chat or hang while everyone else has to navigate around them.
Better know as a GAPER!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All it takes is one lazy, inconsiderate, and entitled person to leave their skies on the snow in front of a ski rack or the lodge, and the rest of the lemmings that pass for humans will follow. And since we no longer discipline our children, this is only the beginning.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And since we no longer discipline our children, this is only the beginning.
Sadly, it is a good amount of kids skis I see all over that we have to walk over and navigate around. But the question is, where did they learn these poor habits?

This is from earlier this season. Another mountain's race team was training at Mt. Rose, the team left their gear, bags and skis out on the snow ... but it was off to the side so people didn't have to climb over it. I got no problem with that. IMG_4007.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was just gonna say the race team kids are notorious for doing that. Right in front of the lodge or over by the lift corral. It might be a passive aggressive thing aka just acting like entitled asshats.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly, it is a good amount of kids skis I see all over that we have to walk over and navigate around. But the question is, where did they learn these poor habits?

This is from earlier this season. Another mountain's race team was training at Mt. Rose, the team left their gear, bags and skis out on the snow ... but it was off to the side so people didn't have to climb over it. I got no problem with that. View attachment 226958

I was just gonna say the race team kids are notorious for doing that. Right in front of the lodge or over by the lift corral. It might be a passive aggressive thing aka just acting like entitled asshats.

The Team Summit head devo coach used to put racers’ skis left out like this in trash cans to teach them the lesson.

Sponsor

Staff online