• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pop-up Free Experience

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m so old that before I retired after 30 years of teaching middle school, students would come into my room saying “my mom was in your class when she went here!”
At 29 years in, I have started to have kids of parents that I previously had in class. Telling the kids to say hi to their dads/moms does age me a bit….lol. Although the kids (1st/2nd graders) think I’m only in my 20’s/30’s…much younger than my current age…so I have that going for me…..lol.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m so old that before I retired after 30 years of teaching middle school, students would come into my room saying “my mom was in your class when she went here!”
My first grade teacher (Mrs Stewart) attended my sister's wedding the summer that she retired. I recall hearing a conversation she had with someone, on what made her decide to retire.

Mrs Stewart: Well, I taught children, then I taught their children. When I started teaching their grandchildren, I knew it was time to retire.

Last edited:

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As you may or may not know, SkiTalk.com cannot exist without paid advertising along with your community support. When we launched SkiTalk back in 2015 it was with the grassroots support of the community to get it going. Since then we have been able to subsidize the initial support with advertising dollars but unfortunately with rising operation costs, it still is not enough for us to get to you the content that you have come to expect from us.

While we do not like the fact that we have to expand into other adverting partners that might infringe upon your experience we would like to offer you a "pop up free experience" while you are spending time on your favorite site.

SkiTalk has long offered different donation levels and we would like to offer anyone who contributes $50 per year or more the option of not having pop up ads. Readers who contribute $100 a year or more will also receive a SkiTalk swag pack as a thank you for your generosity. Members who are already contributing/donating to the site are grandfathered with the pop up free option and the higher level contributors will receive the swag package upon renewal.

When you donate you will receive a SkiTalk Supporter badge...

As Uncle Louie said, while folks were generous in helping the site get off the ground, it has now been put on our shoulders to keep it going and we need your help and support for that to continue to happen. So, for those unhappy about the pop-ups, this is your chance to put your money where you mouth is. ;)

If I donate US $100 ( NZ $167 ) will you send the swag to me here in NZ please?

Seahaven

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At 29 years in, I have started to have kids of parents that I previously had in class. Telling the kids to say hi to their dads/moms does age me a bit….lol. Although the kids (1st/2nd graders) think I’m only in my 20’s/30’s…much younger than my current age…so I have that going for me…..lol.
I had a student a couple of years ago who asked if I was going through a mid-life crisis. I told them it was very sweet of them to think I was only at the halfway point of my life.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I didn’t see the FIS helmet sticker requirement on the ski gear list this season. Is this a league by league thing? Maybe we need a general teen school and club race thread where we can ask all our dumb parent questions -op’s question isn't dumb, just mine.

lol how the heck did i post here?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok we need adds. Fine, no problem but do the adds have to overlap the functional buttons on the site? I hope not.
Until we can find one that pays better, yes.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I donated money a month or two ago to get rid of the pop ups. They seem to be back today with a vengeance. They now overlap the thread lists so much so that you cannot read the tread titles in the different forums. This is on a computer, not a phone. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

EDIT: And there does not seem to be a way to close the ad. It just floats there in front.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So I donated money a month or two ago to get rid of the pop ups. They seem to be back today with a vengeance. They now overlap the thread lists so much so that you cannot read the tread titles in the different forums. This is on a computer, not a phone. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

EDIT: And there does not seem to be a way to close the ad. It just floats there in front.
That should not be the case. @Dwight?

Can you send over some screenshots please.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

There is something going on. I don't know the timeframe of fixing it.

Sorry about this.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It does seem better since I originally notified you earlier today. Kinks and blips happen, its all part of the Matrix.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It does seem better since I originally notified you earlier today. Kinks and blips happen, its all part of the Matrix.
Thank you for being understanding. Our ad person was working on some things in the back end and had a glitch.
This shouldn't happen again.

We really appreciate you letting us know ASAP

Sponsor

Staff online