• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pop-up Free Experience

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know this was a joke but it's actually kind of interesting when you think about how much money "people who have a lot of money" really have. I.e., for 99.99% of us we are not going to spend a huge chunk of our retirement savings on SkiTalk. However, for the other 0.01% $100K is chump change. If one of those people were to step up you'd be a fair bit ahead. Obviously you'd need someone very savvy to find and woo the person, and a plan for kickbacks / tax evasion. I mean philanthropy breaks. Who has a background as a Major Gifts Officer for a big university or charity?
Not I but I did imagine of a non profit structure where this chat platform is part of a larger cause to enable those who dont have an extra $50 to go skiing or get some warm gloves. It would take some effort.
Saying that, I will deal with the ads since I only gave $25 and put the other $25 to one of the local ski cause groups.Its true I wont miss the money, but I am not rich and act accordingly.

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your post mentions that $50 or more allows for the “option” of not getting pop-ups. Is this something we have to disable in our account settings?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Your post mentions that $50 or more allows for the “option” of not getting pop-ups. Is this something we have to disable in our account settings?
Its automatic.
You will still see the usual ads but not the pop ups that started in early September.

FWIW, Phil and I have not disabled the pop up on our own accounts because we feel we need to see what everyone else sees.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The first wave of swag packs are going out today. A special thanks for the Supporters who felt it was better served for us to reinvest the swag and shipping costs back into the site.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m so old that before I retired after 30 years of teaching middle school, students would come into my room saying “my mom was in your class when she went here!”

Reactions: BC.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Donated. Thanks to @Philpug and @Tricia for all you've done to build this site and community.

As I've gotten older and thought more about the content I consume and enjoy, I've gotten much more comfortable with financially supporting the people creating that content to maximize the chance I get to continue to enjoy it in the future.

I completely get that people will have different views on whether they should donate to the site, whether it's affordable, what value they get out of it etc. If you choose not to donate though, it seems to be in slightly poor taste to use the thread publicizing the donation opportunity as your forum to explain why you don't think it's a good idea to donate.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ ok so maybe its time to close this down lest it become a one sided pugathon. Unless that’s what you donated for )
I find that the personal comments and different views add some value.

Reactions: mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^ ok so maybe its time to close this down lest it become a one sided pugathon. Unless that’s what you donated for )
I find that the personal comments and different views add some value.
I have no problem with those who don't believe in or don't want to donate expressing their opinion.
I just wanted to make it clear that there was a sizable "willing to donate" group on the other side, and encourage those on the fence.

Sponsor

Staff online