• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Now that Epicski is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sad. I'm just not. There is no "why". I'm just not all that upset, sad, grieving or feeling the loss. Maybe I will admit to a little bit of "good riddance."

I joined Epicski in 2011. I was mending from a tib-fib spiral fracture and missing out on all the fun of the epic (yes, ironic) 2011 La Niña that year. I was planning all kinds of trip ideas, trying to stay excited and motivated, and some Goggle searches directed me to Epicski. So.....

.....fast forward to a few more years, a few Gatherings, a few local meetups with people passing through....

...and then the whole MTN purchase, and the events leading to the creation of Pugski. Since then I have been on Pugski way more than I was on Epicski, and almost annoyed I felt compelled to keep checking Epicski for new posts to threads I'd been subscribed. I kept trying to get that down to none, and always thwarted. Now, I am relieved of that obsessive burden.

Also, I'm just not that sentimental. Yes there were lots of informative threads, and silly threads, and lots worth remembering, and archived information, which I almost never bothered with.

And there it is. The archived threads were never as important to me as what is/was happening in the now.

Moving forward, there is still a great place (here) to post questions, support friends through agonizing decisions of which ski to buy or where to go that (the significant other of your choice) would like, and various tales of injury, woe and recovery.

There are still Gatherings.

So I have to ask myself, what have I really lost, with the 404'ing of Epicski? Not a thing.

Maybe I'm a minority report kind of person, but the only thing that was lost was the emotional attachment to "what was."
What is gained is a renewed focus on "what is" and "what comes next."

I mean no disrespect for those that feel the loss of an important part of their digital lives. But that's my point. It's a digital life, not a real life. There is quite a lot of research, for example, that people who spend time online with social media friends to the exclusion of time with IRL friends, typically end up more isolated and with poor emotional and physical health. OTOH, use of social media to aid in organizing and arranging IRL enhances wellness.

I think what I'm trying to say is: the people are more important than the site. So be helpful, be kind and generous, be great, be important. The old site is nothing compared to the capacity each of us have to grow.

Last edited:

jhkc

Booting up
Skier
just found out EpicSki has died. I just joined pugski a few minutes ago. One change I have noticed (or perhaps I haven't found it yet) is a place where people put information about various ski hills - the reviews and "unofficial guides". As a newbie skier who looks for information about various places, wanting to learn about a place before I go, those were great sources of information (and entertainment).
Also I haven't found as much Canadian content here as I did over there. Maybe that will change with the migration of some people from the north. But so far, searches for a couple of my favourite ski hills in British Columbia have come up empty. :**(

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi jhkc, there is a place to find some of the information you're looking for, but perhaps there isn't as much content (yet) for places in Canada. Pugski is growing, and with it, the information will grow.
Many of the members here are the same members who created resort information on Epic.
Please join in and help as we grow.
You'll see some stuff here, and the subforum for the Unofficial Guides that some members brought here.

Resort and Travel

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think what I'm trying to say is: the people are more important than the site. So be helpful, be kind and generous, be great, be important. The old site is nothing compared to the capacity each of us have to grow.

Yes, the content is the glue that held the people together. We are at Mothers Day at A-Basin Week and yesterday there were 20 or so people that flew, drive, rode in from all over the country to spend time and ski together and it it wasn't for Epicski, we would not have known each other. During our toast to Epic, I know I got choked up and had trouble completing what I wanted to say. Someone requoted/praphrased Dr. Suess and said "Don't cry because it ended, be happy that it happened". This is very true too.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I did a ski related search this morning and the first five results were all dead links to Epic. I know in six months most of that will disappear but geez they really dominated.

Creative destruction is a good thing but it's messy.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I was pretty bummed for awhile. (David is a mental health professional driving on a closed course, after all. As the car commercials say, "do not attempt.")

The two week suspension was very good for me. It gave me time to "process" what was happening. It also gave me a chance to save a couple things and realize there wasn't really all that much I wanted to keep. I'm ready to move on now.

And as everyone has pointed out, and I have said myself, it's about the community, not where it is hosted.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Grief has no timeline. It was never the community for me that theskidiva and now pugski are, but I sympathize with those who had a history there and feel the loss more acutely.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No regret/loss here.

I just got driven away by the constant "if you're for it, I'm against it" responders.

Of course, they were a minority, but a VERY vocal, immature minority.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I will respectfully disagree on these. I'd prefer not being compared to other sites.
I see the point but I stopped frequenting those other places for strong reasons. So, at least at a personal level we did compare and make decisions based on those comparisons.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Like @mdf, the two weeks helped. However, it remains to be seen if I end up here, elsewhere, or doing something more productive with my time.

I've realized the forum software here (and on some other forums that have never clicked) doesn't show the snip of current conversation that used to drag me into topics that I wasn't subscribed to. I spent some time looking around last night, and apparently most forum software doesn't do that. Too bad. I find it much easier to scroll post stuff and mark it all read.

You also can't explain, if you so desire, why you "like" a post. Which was something else I'd gotten used to.

So, need to get used to a new place.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ultimately, regardless of individual preference, fewer choices and fewer options sucks for the consumers, but not so much for the suppliers. If there is sufficient demand for a different product offering more like the one that just left the market, an entrepreneur will step up and make that happen.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Like @mdf, the two weeks helped. However, it remains to be seen if I end up here, elsewhere, or doing something more productive with my time.

I've realized the forum software here (and on some other forums that have never clicked) doesn't show the snip of current conversation that used to drag me into topics that I wasn't subscribed to. I spent some time looking around last night, and apparently most forum software doesn't do that. Too bad. I find it much easier to scroll post stuff and mark it all read.

You also can't explain, if you so desire, why you "like" a post. Which was something else I'd gotten used to.

So, need to get used to a new place.
There is a new posts and a recent post button/link
As a ski forum aholic, I mourn, but also welcome the loss of additional threads to waste my time on.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I know about those links, but they only show the name of the thread, NOT the snip of the most recent post. Epic used to display the snip of the most recent post in the thread listing. Just a user interface observation. If you use desktop, you can hover, but that isn't available in the mobile world....Actually, I see via hover, that this is just the first post, so the functionality seems to be missing...or not implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online