• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Now that Epicski is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think what I'm trying to say is: the people are more important than the site. So be helpful, be kind and generous, be great, be important. The old site is nothing compared to the capacity each of us have to grow.

David, I feel like I just got a free introductory consultation. You're good!

So, need to get used to a new place.

Me too and I feel a little like the new kid in school. Although I joined here shortly after the start-up, I don't know all the usernames and associated personalities like the old place; who to be careful with, who has thick skin. Or conversely, how will my peeves and foibles be received? Then ski season comes around again and all is well.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
David, I feel like I just got a free introductory consultation. You're good!

I don't know all the usernames and associated personalities like the old place; who to be careful with, who has thick skin. Or conversely, how will my peeves and foibles be received? Then ski season comes around again and all is well.

Phil and Trisch IMHO have been doing a great job keeping things on a relatively tight leash with the 'who to be careful with' side of things. I don't think it's nearly as big an issue here. Speaking only for myself and IMHO, on Epic it was, and the problematic lack of judicious moderation there won't be missed.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Now that EpicSki is gone I have one less bell to answer and one less place to get and share info at.
For today's latest from Mt Bachelor and the loss of EpicSki please go see my latest video at my YouTube channel (Sagina1999)
The title can be searched as well "Mt Bachelor's Never Ending Winter Plus The End of EpicSki Com May 13th 2017"
Happy skiing everyone!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil and Trisch IMHO have been doing a great job keeping things on a relatively tight leash with the 'who to be careful with' side of things. I don't think it's nearly as big an issue here. Speaking only for myself and IMHO, on Epic it was, and the problematic lack of judicious moderation there won't be missed.

Our goal is...."Ski talk at a higher level". I will tell you it is being noticed by the industry. In our meetings at SIA, we were told more than a few times that the tone that we are projecting is what the industry likes. These are from people that would keep Epic at arms length. While skiing is our main subject, there si still auto, food, music ect that will retain your attention when you want a break from 24/7 talk. IF someone wants to taunt, bait or just stur the pot there are other sites that you can do that anf that is where we have a short leash.

Wooley12

Putting on skis
Skier
The color yellow makes me sad. FWIW, I'm Wooley in all of my forums. That said, I wish this place nothing but the best.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
If someone wants Epic 2.0 bad enough, they'll figure out how to make it happen, but I don't want it to happen here.

I truly believe that having the phrase, "Ski Talk at a Higher Level" on the main page actually encourages participants to do just that. I've seen it happen in other areas where the people in charge make a statement about the group that actually creates an expectation that people feel they need to measure up to.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
We have a saying in the British Commonwealth when a monarch dies and a new monarch is crowned. It might apply here:

"The King is dead...Long live the King.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Have to agree with Phil, I also met a lot of people on EpicSki over the years. Hopefully that will continue here.

I'll never for get the day Phil jumped out of his car because he was happy to see me, when I was working at Okemo's skier drop off and locked his car with the key's in it, he was half dressed BTW.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Dave B brought a LARGE EpicSki banner to the MidAtlantic Gathering at Timberline 4S this year. I have a hunch he bought it with his own money. We all signed it, even the teens and kids. I asked him twice to make sure it was OK before we put a PubSki sticker in the middle of it. I guess we need a bigger sticker now.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Like @mdf, the two weeks helped. However, it remains to be seen if I end up here, elsewhere, or doing something more productive with my time.

I've realized the forum software here (and on some other forums that have never clicked) doesn't show the snip of current conversation that used to drag me into topics that I wasn't subscribed to. I spent some time looking around last night, and apparently most forum software doesn't do that. Too bad. I find it much easier to scroll post stuff and mark it all read.

You also can't explain, if you so desire, why you "like" a post. Which was something else I'd gotten used to.

This describes my feelings. I'm not sure why, but I still feel a little like one of my favorite ski resorts closed their doors (silly, isn't it?). I appreciate that we can have posts like this to still at least discuss the past as we look to the future.

Speaking of the past, I sincerely believe that I got the very last post in over there...so I've got that going for me...which is nice.

The future is now.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have to agree with Phil, I also met a lot of people on EpicSki over the years. Hopefully that will continue here.

I'll never for get the day Phil jumped out of his car because he was happy to see me, when I was working at Okemo's skier drop off and locked his car with the key's in it, he was half dressed BTW.
Max!!!!
We skied Okemo last month. You were on my mind.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Like @mdf, the two weeks helped. However, it remains to be seen if I end up here, elsewhere, or doing something more productive with my time.

I've realized the forum software here (and on some other forums that have never clicked) doesn't show the snip of current conversation that used to drag me into topics that I wasn't subscribed to. I spent some time looking around last night, and apparently most forum software doesn't do that. Too bad. I find it much easier to scroll post stuff and mark it all read.

You also can't explain, if you so desire, why you "like" a post. Which was something else I'd gotten used to.

You can hover your mouse over any Thread title in a list of threads and see a snippet of the OP's post. I hovered the mouse over 'Great Screen Names' and the pop-up appeared:

upload_2017-5-15_16-6-33.png

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ Oh, nevermind. I posted and then saw you knew this. :doh:

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
I'm not sad. I'm just not. There is no "why". I'm just not all that upset, sad, grieving or feeling the loss. Maybe I will admit to a little bit of "good riddance."

I joined Epicski in 2011. I was mending from a tib-fib spiral fracture and missing out on all the fun of the epic (yes, ironic) 2011 La Niña that year. I was planning all kinds of trip ideas, trying to stay excited and motivated, and some Goggle searches directed me to Epicski. So.....

.....fast forward to a few more years, a few Gatherings, a few local meetups with people passing through....

...and then the whole MTN purchase, and the events leading to the creation of Pugski. Since then I have been on Pugski way more than I was on Epicski, and almost annoyed I felt compelled to keep checking Epicski for new posts to threads I'd been subscribed. I kept trying to get that down to none, and always thwarted. Now, I am relieved of that obsessive burden.

Also, I'm just not that sentimental. Yes there were lots of informative threads, and silly threads, and lots worth remembering, and archived information, which I almost never bothered with.

And there it is. The archived threads were never as important to me as what is/was happening in the now.

Moving forward, there is still a great place (here) to post questions, support friends through agonizing decisions of which ski to buy or where to go that (the significant other of your choice) would like, and various tales of injury, woe and recovery.

There are still Gatherings.

So I have to ask myself, what have I really lost, with the 404'ing of Epicski? Not a thing.

Maybe I'm a minority report kind of person, but the only thing that was lost was the emotional attachment to "what was."
What is gained is a renewed focus on "what is" and "what comes next."

I mean no disrespect for those that feel the loss of an important part of their digital lives. But that's my point. It's a digital life, not a real life. There is quite a lot of research, for example, that people who spend time online with social media friends to the exclusion of time with IRL friends, typically end up more isolated and with poor emotional and physical health. OTOH, use of social media to aid in organizing and arranging IRL enhances wellness.

I think what I'm trying to say is: the people are more important than the site. So be helpful, be kind and generous, be great, be important. The old site is nothing compared to the capacity each of us have to grow.
Personally from my short time here, I think Pugski has been much more friendly. EpicSKi had some great guys but, generally I found the people of EpicSki to be somewhat hostile and I felt as If I had to be very very careful with what I said in order to not upset any fellow skiers. So far being on PugSki I feel like I am part of a friendly community, instead of a hostile world.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Dave B brought a LARGE EpicSki banner to the MidAtlantic Gathering at Timberline 4S this year. I have a hunch he bought it with his own money. We all signed it, even the teens and kids. I asked him twice to make sure it was OK before we put a PubSki sticker in the middle of it. I guess we need a bigger sticker now.

Yep, that was me... but I'm thinking if we get the Mid-A Gathering organized on here next season we won't need a sticker - I'll just get another banner made...

(And I think it's "PugSki".... "PubSki" would be a different site - probably - though some of the conversation here makes me wonder.... ogwink)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, that was me... but I'm thinking if we get the Mid-A Gathering organized on here next season we won't need a sticker - I'll just get another banner made...

(And I think it's "PugSki".... "PubSki" would be a different site - probably - though some of the conversation here makes me wonder.... ogwink)
We are a ski site with a liquor emoticons:flask::toast:rocks::bloodymary::mojito::margarita:...Pubski might be a bar site with skiing ones. :Teleb::daffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January