• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Now that Epicski is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
I can't follow technical discussions about skiing if the post goes above about five sentences. Need an in-person instructor, and less verbiage. So FOR ME I've found it's not worth asking, as I usually can't follow the clarification either. Or perhaps am unwilling to invest the time to fully grok it.
Ok, so everyone should limit themselves to four sentences?
You can always create your own alternate thread discussing other threads where there's a requirement to post in Haikus.

The other thing is no one's getting paid to write things here. It's not tv commentating. I'll gladly interpret threads based on what tv commentators get paid per word.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
when a good guy finally goes ballistic, moderators may think they have no choice but to finally act against the good guy, when it's their fault this happened in the first place.

I've seen this happen often enough. As you say, LF, there might be no specific rule, so while moderators are made aware of what's going on (through flags), they have no real ground to act, much though they'd like to. And when an otherwise blameless member goes ballistic and breaks a rule, mods have to step in — but the pm is usually understanding: "I get it; that person is being an ass; it's really his fault, and I'm sorry to have to mod your post; in the future you can hit the ignore button."

Problems could occur when members refused to ignore someone they particularly hated. The hated person would dangle a bait, staying strictly within posting guidelines, and the member would rise to it.

Before I became a mod, I decided that it was best to say what I had to say and let it go. If someone with that kind of ego needed the last word, fine — if my opinion held water, people I care about will agree. No further comment from me is going to change Mr. or Ms. Ego's opinion.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I like to think that friends sometimes tell friends things that are difficult for them to hear. I'll tell them things I won't say to random person on lift. We are probably somewhere in between those two extremes here. But I think to @Bogatyr point you can say, "I disagree, I think its like x" or "No, you're not considering y". I'll say that to your face or online. Contrast that with "Only an idiot, completely devoid of knowledge of physics would think the world is so simple as . . . " I wouldn't say that online and I certainly wouldn't say it to your face. Because I'm just not that kind of jerk. Not that kind :).

I know that much
:hug:

Oh, I meant a lift conversation as in @markojp 's post, taking the lift with your ski buddies, not with strangers. Good point about the wider use of courage. Now, even stuff like that, stuff that is difficult for the other person to hear, wouldn't that be a phone call, or a PM?I know I discussed stuff that is not particularly easy for me or others, in private, with some of you. If in doubt, I PM :)

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ok, so everyone should limit themselves to four sentences?
You can always create your own alternate thread discussing other threads where there's a requirement to post in Haikus.

The other thing is no one's getting paid to write things here. It's not tv commentating. I'll gladly interpret threads based on what tv commentators get paid per word.
So IMO this is a great example of an asshat comment. Monique clearly states that "FOR ME" she doesnt like long technical discussions lasting > 5 sentences. Then in the next paragraph she states that these discussions are still worthy. Just not for her. Yet you reply with this^^^???

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
Just brainstorming: how about a 'this thread has become utterly pointless' button that after a certain number of clicks from members automatically locks it - temporarily or permanently.

Also, imagine me clicking on that button madly right now.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So IMO this is a great example of an asshat comment. Monique clearly states that "FOR ME" she doesnt like long technical discussions lasting > 5 sentences. Then in the next paragraph she states that these discussions are still worthy. Just not for her. Yet you reply with this^^^???

:popcorn:

Rule 1a?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just brainstorming: how about a 'this thread has become utterly pointless' button that after a certain number of clicks from members automatically locks it - temporarily or permanently.

Also, imagine me clicking on that button madly right now.
You're right. Its time.

Status
Not open for further replies.