• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Humans. SMH

Cooperation and compromise seem to have gone by the wayside, replaced by extreme activism with disregard for consequences.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes!
I get kind of freaked out when I see hunters carrying guns out on the trails, because the thought goes through my overactive mind, "what if he decided to make me target practice?" And I've seen some pretty sketch looking dudes out there hunting. I hate to stereotype, but it's true.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yikes!
I get kind of freaked out when I see hunters carrying guns out on the trails, because the thought goes through my overactive mind, "what if he decided to make me target practice?" And I've seen some pretty sketch looking dudes out there hunting. I hate to stereotype, but it's true.

I have never seen hunters while out riding or hiking, but I do hear guns - I think they're from some hillsides where target practice is safe. Shooting a human is still murder, and I just don't think that's terribly common, so I'm more worried about accidental shootings. I like wearing bright colors (obviously), and when I remember, the dogs wear hunter orange bandanas so that they're clearly associated with a human.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
PS I just ordered the Garmin InReach Explorer+. It allows a breadcrumb trail as well as SOS (straight to emergency services) and custom texts, so you can tell your point of contact, "I'm running late but expect to be home just after dark" or whatever. You can even interact with the SOS people to explain the exact situation so that they don't send an outsized response team. It's not cheap, and you have to pay a monthly subscription, just like a cell phone (but unlike a cell, SOS doesn't work unless you're paid up). I got a little nervous during my last hike, realizing that I was alone, I could easily twist an ankle or worse, the route was not well marked, I was out of cell service, and there was no evidence of other humans on that section of the trail. (I took heed and turned around - I plan to hike it next week with another human.) Eric can also use it if, dog forbid, he crashes while flying. Most of my outdoor recreation is solo. Most of it is also in areas with a lot of other people, and for some reason I've always been with other people when I've been hurt, but .... I would feel pretty stupid being gnawed on by a mountain lion or freezing to death overnight for want of such a device.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never seen hunters while out riding or hiking, but I do hear guns - I think they're from some hillsides where target practice is safe. Shooting a human is still murder, and I just don't think that's terribly common, so I'm more worried about accidental shootings. I like wearing bright colors (obviously), and when I remember, the dogs wear hunter orange bandanas so that they're clearly associated with a human.

Interestingly, I saw a couple of hunters on Soda Creek last Saturday. It unnerved me at the time but then I totally forgot until I read this post given what happened a short bit later.

This Saturday should be a fun although looking to be a bit wet. My run group does an annual adventure run and this year they are running on the Midland Bike Trail outside of Buena Vista. It actually sets up a great ride for me as they have 3 distance options. I think there are 8, 15 and 18 mile options. I'll drive to the start of the short distance, head out toward the long distance runners for a bit then turn around and finish back downhill. Someone will then shuttle me back to my car. Some people will stay overnight in BV and others will drive home after. I won't have anyone actually riding with me but I'll see my friends and be able to support them as needed as well.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3467351/midland-bike-trail-out-and-back

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
apparently, there's more to this terrible story. He was reportedly shot several times and there was a report of someone threatening bikers with an Axe.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/09/19/tim-watkins-bicyclist-shooting/

I know the son of a friend reported being threatened by a guy with an axe who was driving too fast down Mt. Herman Rd., had to swerve to avoid this young man and his friend who stopped their vehicle to check after the guy went off the road, and he apparently emerged from his car and threatened them with the axe. I suspect this story is growing/merging with Tim's murder.

The Denver CBS station also appears to be reporting things differently than we are hearing locally in terms of location. I took this screen shot from comments in the Singletrack article:

IMG_8376.PNG

We have heard he was found in Limbaugh Canyon, which is a trail on the backside of Mt. Herman. If the location reported by this station is correct, that's basically the edge of a local neighborhood and right where I ride several times a week. That area is reasonably heavily trafficked and has never been mentioned locally that I am aware of - I need to do a little more local report reading.

Mt. Herman road is an access to the Rampart Range from Monument - it had really been cleaned up in recent years including banning shooting, but there does appear to be an ongoing increase in homeless camps. It's that latter issue that has had us cautioning our older boys to stay out of that area, which until now had earned us a lot of eye rolling.

It's both really sad and sobering. I need to see what else has been reported locally, if anything.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, the big storm that's rolling in held off long enough for me to hop on a 2018 Trek Fuel EX 9.9 today. They brought no 27.5+ bikes, so my goal for today was to determine if I would prefer a smaller frame. I believe I do! That 29er felt like a whole different animal in the 15.5 inch frame. As in, no question, I want to stick with a 29er, and those XR4 tires (still 2.4 width) were that much more confidence inspiring. Everything just felt more centered and balanced with the smaller frame, I was able to really stay up over the bike on climbs without having to lower my chest as much; I was able to sprint up some stuff like a jack rabbit that I think would have taken quite a bit more effort on my 17.5 inch bike. So, looks like I'll be ordering a new Fuel EX 9.8 but in a 15.5" frame. I think it will give me the added nimbleness that I've kind of been missing without going to a smaller wheel size, because I do rather love the 29 inch wheels for so many things.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That 29er felt like a whole different animal in the 15.5 inch frame.

So ... when you commented in person that you thought my Small looked, er, small for me, and maybe I should be on a medium ...?

Now you see why, all things equal, I prefer a smaller bike! ogsmile

(Do the eyes of that smiley look soulless and terrifying? Am I reading too much into it?)

I have done one climb that was somewhat steep and paved where the small bike felt weird because I was *so* far out in front of the handlebars while pedaling. But I haven't had that feeling since then.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So ... when you commented in person that you thought my Small looked, er, small for me, and maybe I should be on a medium ...?

Now you see why, all things equal, I prefer a smaller bike! ogsmile

(Do the eyes of that smiley look soulless and terrifying? Am I reading too much into it?)

I have done one climb that was somewhat steep and paved where the small bike felt weird because I was *so* far out in front of the handlebars while pedaling. But I haven't had that feeling since then.
Maybe! To be fair, I'll need more time on the smaller bike to determine if I REALLY like it better. I hear over and over "go bigger" but I'm kind of thinking maybe with a smaller wheel, yes, but with a bigger wheel? Maybe that's the difference. I did ride a Yeti in a small very briefly, and it felt REALLY small, yet, that's what they recommend for my height.

Gonna get this thing ordered and hope for some fun fall riding on it! If I end up NOT liking it, I'll sell it and order the bigger one again. I do think it's going to help my shoulders feel better. Plus, I can play with fit and stuff on it and get it dialed in. I think I'll like it that much better.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ugh. Broke my rear derailleur today. Big stick jumped up and lodged between spokes and derailleur and just snapped it in 2. I stopped pedaling as soon as I felt resistance but the damage was done.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ugh. Broke my rear derailleur today. Big stick jumped up and lodged between spokes and derailleur and just snapped it in 2. I stopped pedaling as soon as I felt resistance but the damage was done.

Boo!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Feels great to be back on the local dirt, after a 2.5 week fire-related closure. The dirt is perfect brown velcro, and with shorter, cooler days, it should stay primo for several more days.

No actual bike pix today, but here is an example of what the brave and courageous were building in the woods a few miles west of town, just in case. For reference, this used to be a segment of trail where you could easily clip you bars on treesl

Fire Break.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Feels great to be back on the local dirt, after a 2.5 week fire-related closure. The dirt is perfect brown velcro, and with shorter, cooler days, it should stay primo for several more days.

No actual bike pix today, but here is an example of what the brave and courageous were building in the woods a few miles west of town, just in case. For reference, this used to be a segment of trail where you could easily clip you bars on treesl

View attachment 30084

I appreciate the effort, but I wonder if it had to go quite so .... wide?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I appreciate the effort, but I wonder if it had to go quite so .... wide?

Yes. An unseasonably huge set of storm fronts came to our rescue. Otherwise, this was it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I met up with @kimmyt and her kiddos at the Valmont Bike Park this morning. I had fun chasing Kiddo #1 around the pump track. I think he had even more fun, though, being chased! As long as I never caught up .... lots of good track stand practice ogwink I also checked out the dual slalom course. I wasn't sure if I should, but it wasn't roped off or otherwise marked off limits. It's listed as "Large," but I am living proof that you can ride the whole thing without getting any air. The sprinklers started just as I began my second descent. It felt nice, but water being sprayed on my sunglasses was ... challenging.

I don't know why I haven't been to VBP in years. It's a lot of fun, especially now that it's not as hot during the day!

Attach55512_20170922_134609.jpg

Attach55511_20170922_134609.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ That looks similar to the Wanoga Pump Track in Bend. A great way to kill a few minutes, while waiting for the inevitable late arrival for big shuttle rides.

Sponsor

Staff online