• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And yes, like everyone else, I was wearing shorts. Typical summer gear. Sigh.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Waterton Canyon up to and including the Colorado Trail decently warm and free of snow and ice, and pretty dry! Yes, that is today Dec. 9.

IMG_9570.jpeg

Skiing not good? No problem.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm sort of jealous of you guys riding, but not that jealous. I hope you are all skiing soon.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm sort of jealous of you guys riding, but not that jealous. I hope you are all skiing soon.

ME TOO!

Gonna ski tomorrow, primarily because I'm signed up for the lesson group and know it will be good for me. (It would be better for my knee, though, to leave it alone till we have some soft snow.)

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Started mtn biking in May this year, so complete rookie at this. Have been thinking about it for years but diden't have any space to store an expensive bike in a smallish apartment with two kids. Last autum we upgraded to a chained house and now I'm finally mtb biking (at least inbetween when the task of totally refurbusing 3 floors doesn't suck out all energy....)

Live with trails just literaly out the door. On monday was opening night at the local ski resort, and I was out cycling. Who would have thougth I could get that hooked on biking :)

_MG_0471.jpg

Perfect conditions, ~15 cm of snow that had been laying there for a while and had been stomped flat by hikers and dog walkers during the weekend. Deep frozen and dry conditions, very welcome after a wet and muddy october and november. Excellent traction with Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro, at least until every time the front wheel got outside the narrow stomped path. Lots of balance training ;-) I'm somehow less scared of falling on snow, even a very thin layer of snow. I guess I'm going to find out some day that falling on 10 cm of snow on a rocks still feels like falling on rocks...

_MG_0469.jpg

5500 Lumens on snow can turn night into day.

Did ski on tuesday night. The night after opening night and then there were no lift lines :) So not totally giving up on skiing.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, snow can abrade pretty badly, too ... But you're probably already wearing full-length pants and shirt for that.

What's a chained house? I haven't heard that term before.

And welcome to the MTB thread!

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well, snow can abrade pretty badly, too ... But you're probably already wearing full-length pants and shirt for that.
Well, yes, but it's was the first time biking without knee and elbow pads because it diden't work with the warm clothes. Counting on the snow to do it's job.

What's a chained house? I haven't heard that term before.
Well according to google the term does not exist. A failed attempt at directly translating from norwegian ;-) Row house or linked house is probably the proper term.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, yes, but it's was the first time biking without knee and elbow pads because it diden't work with the warm clothes. Counting on the snow to do it's job.

Well according to google the term does not exist. A failed attempt at directly translating from norwegian ;-) Row house or linked house is probably the proper term.

Well, just don't fall ;-) Or develop layers of scabs and scars on my knee, like I do ... (don't do that)

Yes, "row house" sounds like the right term. But "chained house" makes just as much sense ...

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Even though I was staying Fri and Sat night only an hour from Squaw, I brought my mountain bike and rode both weekend days instead of trying to go skiing. I knew there was mountain biking in the Harmony Ridge area 5 mi. E of Nevada City, CA, but did not realize how extensive it was. We stayed (and friend's wife's 60th birthday was held) at the Harmony Ridge Lodge. Nearly across the highway is the store and a couple of parking areas for mountain bikers. On Sat, I rode E on the Pioneer Trail 5 miles and climbed 500' in about an hour before turning around and doing the (mostly) descent in exactly 30 min. The trail is on N side of the highway and in some places too close to the highway, but still a good ride. You can continue 8 more miles to 5000', but I did not have enough time. Area will be even better when Ol' Republic brewing opens in the Old 5 Mile House across from the store and next to the Lodge.
5080PioneerTrail.JPG
5086PioneerTrail.jpg

On Sunday, I found trail that ran on S side of highway between where we stayed and the highway which dropped 600' over 5 miles to Scotts Flat Lake where my wife picked me up. Very nice trail with some flow areas and some tight switchback turns. A couple of spots were a little muddy from rain a week ago, but most of the ride was in good shape and downhill though a forest of oak, cedar and fir. Temps were high enough that some bugs were out and it was too dark in the trees most of the way to use shades so I caught a couple of bugs in my eyes.
5089TurnOnWay2ScottsFlatLake.JPG
5091Trail2ScottsFlatLake.JPG

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Live with trails just literaly out the door. On monday was opening night at the local ski resort, and I was out cycling. Who would have thought I could get that hooked on biking :).

I got hooked the same way, a couple decades ago, and it hasn't let up yet, so hang on to your hat!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our skiing on Mt. Hood is nearly nonexistent, so I took the trusty Fuel EX to Echo, Oregon and rode every inch of their ~ 24 miles of single track.

Wednesday. Me. Zero others. Perfect dirt. Great decorations!

Echo Jan 18.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid