• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Thanks for the ride report @Monique! Sounds like you're having fun and making some breakthroughs. I had to work all weekend, so it's good to hear about and see pics of other people's rides. Can't wait to get on my bike again!

Yeah, I'm having a great time procrastinating rather than looking for a job! /facepalm ... but at least I'm making progress at *something*?

Something funny - Garmin Connect identified a segment in my ride. I'm not sure what climb it represents exactly, but apparently I'm ranked 87 ... out of 87!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Garmin Connect identified a segment in my ride. I'm not sure what climb it represents exactly, but apparently I'm ranked 87 ... out of 87!
I do Strava, and on one of the downhill segments I was 2879 out of 3052. And that was a PR for me! Levi Leipheimer was #8 on that segment. I'm pretty competitive, so I'm sure I'll ride the brakes a little less the next time around!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I do Strava, and on one of the downhill segments I was 2879 out of 3052. And that was a PR for me! Levi Leipheimer was #8 on that segment. I'm pretty competitive, so I'm sure I'll ride the brakes a little less the next time around!

Upon closer inspection, it looks like it's the climb up Hay Trail, the mellow, consistent climb. I appear to be 6.5 minutes behind the next slowest person! I bet that guy is happy he's not last anymore, if he ever looks ;-)

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Upon closer inspection, it looks like it's the climb up Hay Trail, the mellow, consistent climb. I appear to be 6.5 minutes behind the next slowest person! I bet that guy is happy he's not last anymore, if he ever looks ;-)
You have to get him next time (or at least close the gap) :)

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
A local mountain biker has been missing on a ride since Thursday and was finally found today with the death being treated as suspicious. This appears to be the Limbaugh Canyon area of Mt. Herman near Monument.

http://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-front-range/missing-cyclist-palmer-lake-monument-1056359.html

We often caution our sons to avoid some of this area due to the urban interface issues and known homeless camps. They always roll their eyes and assure that it will be all right.

This is pretty shocking - my wife knew him, although not well.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Crazy fifty year old kids playing on bikes.

20170918_110813.jpg
FullSizeRender-2-03.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No pics -- yet -- but we're finally getting rain in Hood River, which means:

1. Trails of better quality than we've seen since June, and

2. We've been released from Level 1 Evacuation Alert Status (the lowest, but still) due to the massive Eagle Creek Forest Fire six miles to our west (between us, Portland, the Columbia River, and the Bull Run Watershed that supplies Portland with it's drinking water).

Kids and fireworks. AAARRRGGGHHH!

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
A local mountain biker has been missing on a ride since Thursday and was finally found today with the death being treated as suspicious. This appears to be the Limbaugh Canyon area of Mt. Herman near Monument.

http://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-front-range/missing-cyclist-palmer-lake-monument-1056359.html

We often caution our sons to avoid some of this area due to the urban interface issues and known homeless camps. They always roll their eyes and assure that it will be all right.

This is pretty shocking - my wife knew him, although not well.

I just read the whole thread. Wow. Sucks.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It is a bit alarming. I ride solo frequently. I let people know when and where, but in a situation similar to this, that is equivalent to touring backcountry with a beacon: they'll know where to find the body. We have a large number of transients and squatters around here. I have not seen them while biking or felt threatened other than fire danger from reckless fire pits. It will be informative to see how this incident unfolds.

My condolences to Tim's family and friends.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That is awful.

As I scrambled up a rock face on a "hike" today (I'd misread the cairns), it occurred to me that I'm spending an awful lot of time solo on trails, often out of cell range. Like Doug, I usually just text my husband before I go, saying where I'll be. But I think it's time to finally buy a Spot (or whatever seems best in that realm - I remember reading some comparison reviews) so that I can provide a breadcrumb trail. And send a distress signal if I break my ankle or something.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I often road ride alone. I stopped going into the hills by myself after a frightening incident with a car that backed wildly back up a winding road towards me when I was stopped on the side of the road in a remote area. I've had patients from who live around the hills I ride in, and they always tell me not to go alone (meth labs and meth users).

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our Hood River trails were formally released from fire danger closure yesterday at noon.

Too muddy right now to take advantage of, but the woods are going to be full of thankful, joyous riders this weekend.

That new trail in the form of a 100 foot wide contingency firebreak several miles west of town is going to be a bit unnerving to see, though also confidence inspiring!

Pics to follow on Monday.......

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
apparently, there's more to this terrible story. He was reportedly shot several times and there was a report of someone threatening bikers with an Axe.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/09/19/tim-watkins-bicyclist-shooting/

I don't see anything about an axe in that article (or in the video) ... was that from some other news source?

Kinda reminds me of Mike Vandeman, who posted on mountain biking newsgroups back in the day to yell at us - then was convicted of attacking mountain bikers with a saw on the trail. And searching about him got me here, from last year: http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/20/police-blm-mountain-bike-trail-sabotage-eagle/ "Police went up to the area where Dirt Surfer, Boneyard and Redneck Ridge meet late Thursday and removed eight boards spiked with nails and several sections of trail laced with barbed wire, Barrett said."

WTF??

You'd think a person couldn't be shot for riding a bike, but then with your axe comment, I wonder.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Mike Vandeman..there's blast from the past.. I once did a MTB race where hikers had destroyed the trail markings to deliberately destroy the race. Like really folks??

Sponsor

Staff online