• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a forgiving, mid-radius carving ski

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting in that our friend who is with Bomber Ski Co. and a former ski racer and instructor wants me to ski on very short skis for my height this year as he feels it wil help me learn faster.

As an "Old Pro", I tend to listen to those I feel are experts and leave my intuition out of the decision making :)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Interesting in that our friend who is with Bomber Ski Co. and a former ski racer and instructor wants me to ski on very short skis for my height this year as he feels it wil help me learn faster.

As an "Old Pro", I tend to listen to those I feel are experts and leave my intuition out of the decision making :)

I skied soft skis too short for me for my first 3 years. It helps a lot with development, maneuverability and comfort level.

Going shorter is indeed great advice. Way to go :)

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With my level of suckage (I mean I am a newbie) the last thing I need is equipment holding me back
You wouldn't start out someone with blades and a 8.5* driver all with stiff shafts? Depending on the person, you might not even start them off with a full set of clubs. I am a firm believer is setting someone up for success. There is a BIG difference in giving room for growth and over gearing.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The mountain where I teach is loaded with PSIA level 2 and 3 instructors and supervisors so I have some great mentors. Skiing too short skis for me for a few years was the best thing I ever did. That and taking frequent lessons which is something I will always do. I also consider taking my level 1 a 2 day intense clinic which was an amazing experience. Skiing with the examiner for 2 solid days was one of the many game changing things about last season. I also mainly skied the same skis all the time. All these things along with clinics and lots of hard work made a huge difference. Good job @Mendieta you've got some great peeps advising you.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
That would be a good one. It would help a great number of people. IMO, skiers who are over-geared vs. under-geared, out number them 10 to one. And it holds back their skiing.
Just another opinion.

(at the risk of hijacking my own thread) Great point. It could be combined with over-terraining. It's very, very similar IMHO. They will hold you back in similar ways. It's often said that one should choose the ski for the conditions one skis, not what one would wish to (i.e., powder). One should also choose gear and terrain for the current skills, perhaps a half notch higher, not three :)

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
This perspective may help. Please read @Mendieta's original post. Consider that he is relatively new to skiing, and has something like 60-70 days under his belt. He is seeking a ski to essentially help him further improve his skills. He loves the sport, and works hard at it.

He also tends to ski in the area of the Tahoe Basin. He has skied with @Philpug, and PP's suggesting a easy to ski, and rewarding, versatile carver. One that will give him the feedback when he does it right, and will not hammer him when he no doubt does not. He's climbing up a learning curve.

One of our adult kids lives there. One lives in the High Rockies. We ski predominantly at our home at Sugarloaf in Maine. The three are entirely different in terms of the weather and their snow surfaces. I think considering where he skis is important. He also often skis with his child or children. So having a ski that will be "OK" when he skids, slides, smears would probably be good.

IMO, he's not looking for a high performance carver, a citizen race ski, etc. Think easy, game improvement carver. Something that he can grow with and ski for a few seasons.

I suspect that there is good reason why Phil recommended the Rally as one choice. For a "carver", it's both versatile and forgiving. Skis well in all sorts of terrain. Bumps, trees, even fresh soft snow.

My vote is for the Rally as well, or a Blizzard Quattro TI in 7.4 and 174cm, they simply work and are far more forgiving than a citizen racer.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There are some really nice skis in the 70-80 range that are set for intermediate/advanced skiers with touch of early rise. They would be best discribed as glolam skis (SL/GS) hybrids.

My son who has a set does very well on the (20 days max experience and it improved his level of confidence. I initially expected them to be too much but was surprised. I later skied them and was surprised I liked them as they actually preformed very well (considering I have a strong preference for full race skis as I find most other skis too wimpy). I believe they are Rossi Experience 76 or 78 (I'm sure some can correct the name with me getting down yet).

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm glad things seem to be coming up Rally so I don't have to feel guilty not selling you my Titans. Having skied with you I think the consensus advice here is really good.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Someone very knowledgeable just pm'd me suggesting I might want to look at the Rally in a 163cm for myself. Great advice, I'll take it. I'm stoked because I'm not a small girl and most women's skis frankly don't work for me. Someone suggesting a men's ski was like a breath of fresh air. I'll be looking for a 2016 or 17 model over the course of this coming season. Time to push the sales of the couple pairs of skis I'm selling. Gotta make room :)

:beercheer::daffy:

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
(at the risk of hijacking my own thread) Great point. It could be combined with over-terraining. It's very, very similar IMHO. They will hold you back in similar ways. It's often said that one should choose the ski for the conditions one skis, not what one would wish to (i.e., powder). One should also choose gear and terrain for the current skills, perhaps a half notch higher, not three :)

I agree. This is something I've worked very hard on. Staying on blue or even green terrain whilst working on stuff. I only recently started getting into a bit of trees and spring bumps with that occasional black run. However, I spend most of my time on groomers working on stuff usually skiing the same pair or two of skis. I love lessons and drills and just cruising. I love your attitude.

:crossfingers:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Funny, I've been lusting after a front side carver too and was intent on demoing the iRally next year but I also thought the Rossi Pusuit 600 CAM (or 700 perhaps) would be another ski to try out. I seem to like Rossi skis as I already have the E88 and the Sky 7. I haven't seen any "Bro Deals" on the Heads, maybe by February when I get to Montana there will be something at less than full retail.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
This over-gearing question is interesting. I replaced Dynastar Legend 4800s with Contact 4x4s, which are stiffer skis than I think I knew at the time. Not sure it was helpful.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
@Mendieta did you find the rally yet?

Now I did! Thank you for the PM! I finally bought a new pair of rally's. They should be here in a few days, and I can't wait to hug... unwrap them.

Thank you all so much, seriously. I have a real good feeling about these skis. Hopefully my next avatar will show a much deeper edging angle :)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I really like my Rossi E83s when I want to get a good carve on. It is important to me for a recreational ski to be able to slarve out turns to control speed so the E83s forgiveness fits my bill. for a forgiving mid-radius carver.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Now I did! Thank you for the PM! I finally bought a new pair of rally's. They should be here in a few days, and I can't wait to hug... unwrap them.

Thank you all so much, seriously. I have a real good feeling about these skis. Hopefully my next avatar will show a much deeper edging angle :)
Awesome sauce!
This is what you'll be saying for the next couple months: isitskiseasonyet isitskiseasonyet isitskiseasonyet!
New skis always add to the anticipation even more.

Sponsor

Staff online