• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a forgiving, mid-radius carving ski

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
In view of what you are all saying, I think it makes sense to start with 1/2 as I transition from a 90mm forgiving ski, and once I'm used to the new skis, next tune up I go 1/3.

Perfect plan, and you won't need a full re-grind just to reset the edge. You will feel a big difference when you go to a 3, especially if it's hard pack.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the bases look beautiful, and flat to me, but i'll have them checked. In view of what you are all saying, I think it makes sense to start with 1/2 as I transition from a 90mm forgiving ski, and once I'm used to the new skis, next tune up I go 1/3.

I know these are demo bindings, so probably easy to move around, but any thoughts on mount point?
ok lol I found the thread......yes, start with the neutral mount and 1/2. The skis likely came 1/2. Just wax em and keep em sharp. If you really get hooked on high speed carving you'll start tuning them for it. All my carvers/racers are .5/3 The E80's I'm currently training my son on are stock 1/2. My Souls are 1/2 and the new Renouns I will tune to 1/3. Until you really start edging and stepping on the gas pedal consistently and with purpose and passion you won't really benefit from a higher side bevel. Doesn't matter what bevel you have if you can't engage it. Conversely speaking, tuning your base to .5 will cause you problems and some ugly crashes with legs going in opposite directions until you get centered over the ski right. Boot cuff alignment/canting are important. You will likely never adjust your mount negative. If anything you will end up moving it a little forward. If you find yourself getting thrown into the back seat a lot yet you feel like you're out in front of it and shouldn't be getting tossed then move the mount forward. They may engage a little quicker than you're used to but it should help you stay in front of it. At least this has been my experience. I have no formal training and make no claim to expertise lol.

Those are some pretty skis. Learning to hook it up and fly across the fall line is a lot of fun. It's addictive. Before you know it you'll be standing on an almost fully extended downhill leg with all you got trying to put that hip to the snow. LOL This could be life altering...... :yahoo:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I like a 0.5 base,3 side tune, but since you specifically asked for a "forgiving" ski, go for 1,3 or a 1,2 if you are sure you won't be skiing any ice, or if you are going to spend all of your time in moguls.

If they came with a specific tune (e.g. 1,2) , wait until you need a base grind to change the base angle.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Great minds must think alike:). I received my 2018 Head Super Shape i Rally a week or so back. In fact it was my search for reviews of the Ski that led me to Pugski.com.

I hemmed and hawed over the 170 vs the 163. I’m 5-8 and a muscular athletic 184 and I like to really drive a ski at high speed and edge angles as well as make quick short radius turns on the groomed and the bumps. I was also looking for a more “technical” frontside ski.

Ultimately I settled on the 170. The 10% early rise/rocker and the fact that I will Ski it in some powder, packed powder, trees and probably some crud as I will be on this ski a lot unless it dumps then I will break out my K2 Pinacles. I decided to give myself some additional base although I think the 163 would have been a lot of fun, can’t wait to jump into them!

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I just tried them out! Firm conditions at Mt Rose.

Boy, these things are fast. A lot of fun, and I appreciate the crowd putting me on these and not anything faster or more demanding. They are fast, quick edge to edge, easy to pivot and forgiving for their pedigree.

They can be run flat but they don't particularly like it. I am not sure it is safe, as the edges tend to engage easily, even with a 1* 2* tune.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

Boy, these things are fast. A lot of fun, and I appreciate the crowd putting me on these and not anything faster or more demanding. They are fast, quick edge to edge, easy to pivot and forgiving for their pedigree.

They can be run flat but they don't particularly like it. I am not sure it is safe, as the edges tend to engage easily, even with a 1* 2* tune.

My hunch is the more days and hours, the more you're like them. Kind of hard to have a ski with a short radius, and a lot of sidecut that likes to run flat and straight. I think you'll adopt a ski style, when you might have formerly "run straight", where you very gently pressure them edge to edge, and effectively ski "fairly straight", with nice gentle turns and some edge angle....but nothing like you'll turn them when you learn to get them up un edge, work them, bend them, etc. Gentle movement.

Many of us first realized this when SL skis were first made in the 165cm length, with the tight radius. I recall skiing a pair of my son's, and thinking that ALL they wanted to do was be up on edge, strongly carving one turn shape, unless a lot of effort went into more of a bend. But certainly not running straight and flat. So, we adopted to the gentle rolling of the ankles and knees on things like runouts, cat tracks, etc.

My hunch is that you'll love these, and they'll be a great game improvement tool for you. The fact that they will pivot, skid, slarve, etc. is really a plus. Because they will also carve on a lot of different surfaces and terrain!

Have fun!!

Last edited:
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
My hunch is the more days and hours, the more you're like them. Kin of hard to have a ski with a short radius, and a lot of sidecut that likes to run flat and straight. I think you'll adopt a ski style, when you might have formerly "run straight", where you very gently pressure them edge to edge, and effective ski "fairly straight", with nice gentle turns and some edge angle....but nothing like you'll turn them when you learn to get them up un edge, work them, bend them, etc.

Many of us first realized this when SL skis were first made in the 165cm length, with the tight radius. I recall skiing a pair of my son's, and thinking that ALL they anted to do was be up on edge, strongly carving one turn shape, unless a lot of effort the more of a bend. But certainly not running straight ad flat. So, we adopted to the gentle rolling of the ankles and knees on things like runout, cat tracks, etc.

My hunch is that you'll love these, and they'll be a great game improvement tool for you. The fact that they will pivot, skid, slarve, etc. is really a plus. Because they will also carve on a lot of different surfaces and terrain!

Have fun!!

Yes, exactly, I always have them on edges, even if slightly so on a catwalk.

I am loving them, I made some carved turns where I see them on edge cutting through the snow. It is beautiful. And freaking fast, i am tryitng to complete the turns but on steeper runs I tend to go ugly. OTOH, we are going all over the place with my son and I don't want to bore him :)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I am sure that many of your friends and ski companions have pointed this out, but the way to feel in control more on a ski like thesis to make smaller turns, at slower speed, and to take the skis out of the fall line a bit more. Sounds easy. No always. However, these are a nice mix, IMO, of performance and forgiveness. So you can skid a turn and take them out of the fall line {or stop}. You can pivot if you are in steeper, bumpier spots.

Basically you'll feel comfortable controlling the skis, and at the same time, you'll feel like you're advancing your technique and skiing. I really thinks they were a good choice! I know a number of people who are on the ski, not all "experts".

Have fun!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've pretty much been skiing my Rally's every day so far this season. Spent one day demoing and took my Kenjas out 2 other days but other than that it's been the Rally all the way. I ski on a lot of ice and hard pack and these things are truly amazing. Easy to ski and hold an edge like a rabid dog. As winter goes on I'll ski them less but I'm duly impressed by these skis and I'm grateful to have a great ski for boiler plate and packed powder days. Rally's are overlapping with my Stockli Laser AXs but I teach in my Rally's and free ski in the Stocklis so it all works out. I just bought a pair of 2016 Rally's and my 2014s are up for sale. I have gotten suggestions for skis over the years but none of them were the right ski until these. With the Rally's the ball was hit out of the park. I love hearing how many people like the Rally, makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sorry just to see you in passing

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, exactly, I always have them on edges, even if slightly so on a catwalk.

I am loving them, I made some carved turns where I see them on edge cutting through the snow. It is beautiful. And freaking fast, i am tryitng to complete the turns but on steeper runs I tend to go ugly. OTOH, we are going all over the place with my son and I don't want to bore him :)
Have fun with the skis. It will be nice to see you on them.

And better things happen when a ski's on edge.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So, today we had some variable snow after a few inches of fresh overnight (at Mt Rose), over hard, old snow. Here are a few snaps from a low resolution video. I love how these things reward getting put on the edges

upload_2017-12-20_19-5-7.png

upload_2017-12-20_19-7-49.png

upload_2017-12-20_19-9-35.png

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It was some good skiing today.