• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a forgiving, mid-radius carving ski

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Now I did! Thank you for the PM! I finally bought a new pair of rally's. They should be here in a few days, and I can't wait to hug... unwrap them.

Thank you all so much, seriously. I have a real good feeling about these skis. Hopefully my next avatar will show a much deeper edging angle :)
Need pics of unboxing!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I much rather see @Mendieta reaction during the first few dozen turns on a hard pack groomer.

I am pretty sure it will alternate between Nice, Whoa and OH SH*****T. If it doesn't, you are doing it wrong. :D

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
That would be a good one. It would help a great number of people. IMO, skiers who are over-geared vs. under-geared, out number them 10 to one. And it holds back their skiing.
Just another opinion.

This was me for a few years on my Kenjas and nobody ever said boo to me about them because I looked OK on them and was in control. I loved the perceived stability they gave me. That was until a trip to Big Sky where I was demoing junior skis (K2 Bad Seed), a friend mentioned I wasn't bending them well. I then had an ahah moment where I knew if I wasn't bending the Bad Seeds well, I definitely wasn't bending my Kenjas well either. So traded the Kenjas for the Yumis and the difference in my skiing the next year was night and day. Wish I had been on a more appropriate ski to begin with.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wish I had been on a more appropriate ski to begin with.
When I talk to a customer about their boots, during a boot fit, I often talk to them about the right flex in the boot for their physiology.
When I say, "You flex into your boot, which engages the tip of the ski, the ski bends, which makes the turn." I usually use body language to emphasize what I'm saying.
The normal response is, "Oh wow, maybe I need new skis too"
Most people don't know, until they know. Ya know? ;)

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ok, Ladies and gentlement, Presenting ...

( Please play @skibob 's suggested soundtrack )

And rejoice.

Step 1: She's here!
20170918_154939.jpg

Step 2: She took off her dress!
20170918_155603.jpg

Step 3: She's so ... beautiful!
20170918_160235.jpg

Step 4: Wait, they are twins!!
20170918_160424.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The OP said:

"Looking for a forgiving, mid-radius carving ski"

The sharper the ski, the less forgiving. I'd recommend a 1/2 unless you anticipate skiing outrageously hard snow. That may be what they came with. If you aren't getting the grip you want you can go to a 1/3 but know that the sharper the ski the less it is prone to letting you slarve a turn which is what I would equate with 'forgiveness'.

As important as the bevels is the flatness of the ski, but being a moderately high level Head product, I'd expect it to arrive with its base in good shape. By contrast, many indie skis come seriously concave and with less than desireable base condition.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The OP said:

The sharper the ski, the less forgiving. I'd recommend a 1/2 unless you anticipate skiing outrageously hard snow. That may be what they came with. If you aren't getting the grip you want you can go to a 1/3 but know that the sharper the ski the less it is prone to letting you slarve a turn which is what I would equate with 'forgiveness'.

As important as the bevels is the flatness of the ski, but being a moderately high level Head product, I'd expect it to arrive with its base in good shape. By contrast, many indie skis come seriously concave and with less than desireable base condition.
^^^^^ This!

And this :toast

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The OP said:

Yeah, the bases look beautiful, and flat to me, but i'll have them checked. In view of what you are all saying, I think it makes sense to start with 1/2 as I transition from a 90mm forgiving ski, and once I'm used to the new skis, next tune up I go 1/3.

I know these are demo bindings, so probably easy to move around, but any thoughts on mount point?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah, the bases look beautiful, and flat to me, but i'll have them checked. In view of what you are all saying, I think it makes sense to start with 1/2 as I transition from a 90mm forgiving ski, and once I'm used to the new skis, next tune up I go 1/3.

I know these are demo bindings, so probably easy to move around, but any thoughts on mount point?
Wouldn't worry about it. Start out with boot center on the mark. After awhile, just adjust them fore/aft one click and geek out on the difference.