• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to tell?...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Visible deformation without a 5 foot lever attached to the bottom? That’s almost certainly going to fold under any of the technically inclined skis we recommended him in his other thread. Which he should still get, because skill building is fun (or that’s what I keep telling myself when the snow sucks)

I am a strong proponent for softer boots (within reason). That said, I have seen many boots deformed in the instep (2nd lower clog buckle) area due to interference between cuff & lower clog.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Boot temperature matters. Mine ski terribly right after lunch, unless I bring the temperature back down by packing snow on them. Standing still too long during spring also makes them too soft. The fit also seems to degrade when it is warm - they feel looser around the foot generally.

Point being - flex tests only work to a point at room temperature.

This 'getting too soft with temperature thing' seems to be getting worse over the years. So I guess at some point I'll know they are toast when they feel too soft to pressure the ski without falling over even when it's cold? I have about 120 days on them over 7 seasons. Hoping to get a few more years out of them.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Awesome! Glad you got new boots.

Re: whether you were overflexing the 90 ones - if I understood what you’re saying correctly it would be way more motion than I think of as acceptable for myself at room temp. One way you could know that you are overflexing a boot is if the forward motion stops because the shell upper/cuff bumps into the lower/clog. What I’m going to call (possibly somewhat inaccurately) bellowing around the second buckle is also a concern to me.

The Technica sounds like the right kind of thing, so you could try the lean test in both and see what’s different about the feeling you get.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Awesome! Glad you got new boots.

Re: whether you were overflexing the 90 ones - if I understood what you’re saying correctly it would be way more motion than I think of as acceptable for myself at room temp. One way you could know that you are overflexing a boot is if the forward motion stops because the shell upper/cuff bumps into the lower/clog. What I’m going to call (possibly somewhat inaccurately) bellowing around the second buckle is also a concern to me.

The Technica sounds like the right kind of thing, so you could try the lean test in both and see what’s different about the feeling you get.
Thanks. I'm hoping it clears up, or helps rather, an issue I recall having in the beginning of the season (haven't tried since then).

When I use Carv, there's a mode for fore/aft balance drills where it calls out the ratio as you are skiing. The optimal ratio according to the app (as far as I recall) is 60/40 front/rear respectively. I coiuld never seem to get over the 40s, maybe 50s on average. Sometimes I would press into the older boots almost at a comically exaggerated level to see if it would change the ratio and it wouldn't for the most part. I'm wondering if this flex issue plays into that.

That's not why I replaced the boots obviously but it popped into my mind when I was pressing into the old ones watching them kind of deform at the cuff.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Thanks. I'm hoping it clears up, or helps rather, an issue I recall having in the beginning of the season (haven't tried since then).

When I use Carv, there's a mode for fore/aft balance drills where it calls out the ratio as you are skiing. The optimal ratio according to the app (as far as I recall) is 60/40 front/rear respectively. I coiuld never seem to get over the 40s, maybe 50s on average. Sometimes I would press into the older boots almost at a comically exaggerated level to see if it would change the ratio and it wouldn't for the most part. I'm wondering if this flex issue plays into that.

That's not why I replaced the boots obviously but it popped into my mind when I was pressing into the old ones watching them kind of deform at the cuff.
Crushing the cuff and getting forward are not necessarily the same thing. If you are crushing the cuff but your knee is bent, your hips can be behind the heel piece and are aft.

Carv also doesn't (can't) measure cuff pressure.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Crushing the cuff and getting forward are not necessarily the same thing. If you are crushing the cuff but your knee is bent, your hips can be behind the heel piece and are aft.

Carv also doesn't (can't) measure cuff pressure.
No I wasn't suggesting it measures cuff pressure. The idea being if the cuff doesn't stay stiff enough, then possibly the front of the foot doesn't get the full weight transfer that's intended.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The idea being if the cuff doesn't stay stiff enough, then possibly the front of the foot doesn't get the full weight transfer that's intended.

What Seldom is trying to tell you is that ^this is an unnecessary idea.

Absent the ski boot, you and everyone else in this thread can balance on the balls of their feet, which would be 100% weight transfer to the front.

So why not just do that in the ski boot?

The Ski Boot Doctor

Booting up
Skier
Hi All,

I've asked questions her in the past and they were very direct problems I was trying to address, but maybe there's a better way to ask.

What should I be looking for to know a boot has been fit properly? I currently look for

1. Comfort - little to no discomfort while using
2. Snugness - feeling like it's supporting me.
3. Flex - feeling like I can press forward a little (this one is hard to figure out as easy as it sounds)

Is there anything else?

Thanks

~GA
Dear GA,

I am a podiatrist who has been custom-fitting ski boots and making ski boot orthotics for 35 years. Instead of me typing a two-page answer to your question, please go to my ski boot fitting website www.TheBootDoctor.com ...Your boot fitter should be well-versed with all the information on my website, as will you if you read the information. Questions? Contact me through my website.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Dear GA,

I am a podiatrist who has been custom-fitting ski boots and making ski boot orthotics for 35 years. Instead of me typing a two-page answer to your question, please go to my ski boot fitting website www.TheBootDoctor.com ...Your boot fitter should be well-versed with all the information on my website, as will you if you read the information. Questions? Contact me through my website.
Thanls for the info, I think the bootfitter worked it out.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Tried the Mach1 120 MVs out today. A couple of hot spots popped up. Most notable on the forward outside of the foot. They are pushing out the front outsides tonight and they showed me how to let the ankle/cuff area be let out with an Allen key...so we'll see if that alleviates some ankle/fibula discomfort.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I was in the Tecnica Mach I 120LV for a number of years. They were tight, tight, tight and my skiing was way more precise which was the goal. But over time my feet changed shape and I was enlarging the toe box every year just to keep up. The liner in the LV series is pretty thin and consequently, very cold too.

I'm in a Salomon S-MAX 130 now which is a bit more generous, skis just as well and is much warmer. It's only taken me 8 seasons to dial in my boots...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Finally was able to ski my Mach 1 120 MV WITH SKI SOCKS on this afternoon (hill open from 12:30 until 4:30), after skiing them 12 times sans socks. Left foot great, right foot still looked abused on the little toe side. Getting there! At least with the socks I have an easier time getting them on and off; skin seems to stick to the liner and the socks are a little slippery. The boots have a tendancy to try and bite my feet when I take them off, so much better with socks.

Sidas heaters and boot gloves last Friday night, -33.5 C without the windchill. Much warmer this afternoon.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I currently have the Full Tilt Wrap Liner which I think in awesome for getting in and out of the boot (shell opens up and very easy). Does anyone know what boot vendors make boots with factory liners that are of this style (open up in the front vs a tongue style). I really prefer that kind of liner unless there's a technical downside to it.
I don't know that this has been addressed, but overlap liners are used in Cabrio boots like the Full Tilt (now K2 Revolver and Method) and Dalbello boots that have a tongue part of the shell. These are often called 3-piece shells.

Otherwise I've never seen them with a typical 2-piece ski boots. The overlap liner is too bulky for most boot shells.

Went with Technica Mach 1 120 MV. They feel very good so far (very snug but not painful). Going to demo some skis next week (first time back on skis in 5 weeks)... We'll see how it goes.

I went from a Full Tilt to a Mach 1, LV in my case. Both good boots, for my needs the Tecnina has more adjustability re: canting and alignment, not to mention replacement soles and canting shims. Hope they work well for you.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
No I wasn't suggesting it measures cuff pressure. The idea being if the cuff doesn't stay stiff enough, then possibly the front of the foot doesn't get the full weight transfer that's intended.

As other have pointed out, CARV does not measure cuff pressure. In fact...

1675641772942.png

That's in the comments on this CARV vid. Worth watching the section at 2:45.

Sponsor