• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to tell?...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yep. I mean outside of wcup or high level racing, who in their right mind would go through a bootfitting again after 40 days? I’d have to get the boot for free.

I mean, were they just spraying for the sake of noise and spittle, to get in peoples heads about gear reliance, some other reason? or did they have a genuine, evidence-based case to make?

Does he sell boots on the side? :ogcool:

If they are, haven't they just shot the value of their own sales stock in the ...foot?

James

Out There
Instructor
or did they have a genuine, evidence-based case to make?
I mean we’re talking psia here. The ‘s’ isn’t for science. No, based on “feelings” of the boot. Springiness I think. I got this second hand. But it wasn’t said just once to the person.

The sad thing is people buy this stuff. It’s incredibly hard to make a case against stuff like this once they buy the concept.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No, based on “feelings” of the boot. Springiness I think. I got this second hand. But it wasn’t said just once to the person.

I am perfectly willing to allow that this person has better sensitivity to their boot than I do. IF I take that as true, I can see that they might be able to sense the difference between a fresh, full-dose-of-moulding-plasticisers boot and one that has been through 40 days of thermocycling down to VT/QC ski temps. Which gives away my notion of what actually might be going on.

James

Out There
Instructor
I am perfectly willing to allow that this person has better sensitivity to their boot than I do. IF I take that as true, I can see that they might be able to sense the difference between a fresh, full-dose-of-moulding-plasticisers boot and one that has been through 40 days of thermocycling down to VT/QC ski temps. Which gives away my notion of what actually might be going on.
That’s pretty much how I interpreted it. However, the person’s comment was, “no, like done. It’s no good anymore.” I will try to get more clarification.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I currently have the Full Tilt Wrap Liner which I think in awesome for getting in and out of the boot (shell opens up and very easy). Does anyone know what boot vendors make boots with factory liners that are of this style (open up in the front vs a tongue style). I really prefer that kind of liner unless there's a technical downside to it.
I skied Intuition liners with Full Tilts last season. Pretty good, but I found the heel pocket lacking and had to compensate by periodically cranking the buckles. My current boots and liners have a better heel pocket with much better heel hold-down that I get the same performance with less cuff tension.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm trying on my Fischer 90s and I'm able to compress the boots but it's not clear of I'm "folding" the boot like others describe and how much force to apply to make that happen. What should I look for?

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
In my experience, “folding” them is more of a feeling you get on snow when you need to make a quick course correction and the flex bottoms out before your skis turn. How much are you able to compress the boot? Visibly? Just by closing the ankle?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep. I mean outside of wcup or high level racing, who in their right mind would go through a bootfitting again after 40 days? I’d have to get the boot for free.

If I had to go through the whole nightmare of the bootfitting every 40 days, I’d just give up skiing.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
In my experience, “folding” them is more of a feeling you get on snow when you need to make a quick course correction and the flex bottoms out before your skis turn. How much are you able to compress the boot? Visibly? Just by closing the ankle?
The shape of the boot changes visibly, the plastic near the #2 buckle on the top of the foot toward the leg folds upward a little and other deformations, but I'm also pressing hard against the tounge.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The shape of the boot changes visibly, the plastic near the #2 buckle on the top of the foot toward the leg folds upward a little and other deformations, but I'm also pressing hard against the tounge.

Eh, the real issue is how much feedback that boot will give you on snow.

Will you be able to feel pressure against the tips?

Or will it essentially be a rollerblade bootie - no feedback until you're out of degrees of motion.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier

Or will it essentially be a rollerblade bootie - no feedback until you're out of degrees of motion.
Visible deformation without a 5 foot lever attached to the bottom? That’s almost certainly going to fold under any of the technically inclined skis we recommended him in his other thread. Which he should still get, because skill building is fun (or that’s what I keep telling myself when the snow sucks)

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier

How is this determined in a boot fitting environment?

James

Out There
Instructor
Lot of boots flex by deformation. That in itself means nothing.

James

Out There
Instructor
Can we just all agree that 90 flex is not for 200+ guy and be over with all this?
I thought that was a given already?

The whole marry the boots thing is a ctock. Be willing to walk away. But you’ve got to start somewhere. Trying to find the perfect boot…

Sponsor

Staff online