• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to tell?...

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tried the Mach1 120 MVs out today. A couple of hot spots popped up. Most notable on the forward outside of the foot. They are pushing out the front outsides tonight and they showed me how to let the ankle/cuff area be let out with an Allen key...so we'll see if that alleviates some ankle/fibula discomfort.

Sounds pretty normal. It usually gets better (unfortunately not always). In case you haven’t noticed yet most people on the forum have some degree of PTSD from the painful initial sessions in new ski boots.

I assume you were doing this, but it’s more important than you might expect to wear a sock of the same thickness you wore to the fitting when skiing the boot initially. The only ski socks I use are smartwool ultra thin socks and I tried not to wear newer, thicker socks of the same model in new liners.

James

Out There
Instructor
As other have pointed out, CARV does not measure cuff pressure. In fact...

View attachment 191583

That's in the comments on this CARV vid. Worth watching the section at 2:45.

I didn’t see the comment about increasing heel pressure by being forward into the shin.

The demo with the skeleton tibia I don’t get. “You can see…” the heel of the boot lifts up as the tibia is pressed forward. Yeah, that’s because there’s no foot pressure, no one is standing in it. You’d have to go pretty far flexing your boot inside on the floor to get the heel up I would think.

What’s the statement on the heel? I don’t see how you increase heel pressure by being absurdly forward. I could see, at some point the shin gets pushed back, increasing from what was there, but it still has to be less than standing centered.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I could see, at some point the shin gets pushed back
From other stuff of his I've seen, it's also something he talks about. Tibia hits the top of the cuff and the pelvis moves back.

The demo with the skeleton tibia I don’t get. “You can see…” the heel of the boot lifts up as the tibia is pressed forward. Yeah, that’s because there’s no foot pressure, no one is standing in it. You’d have to go pretty far flexing your boot inside on the floor to get the heel up I would think.
Translated into the lightening of the tail of the ski I think is his point - as in a shovel-heavy short turn. dolphin turn, nose wheely, whatever.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I didn’t see the comment about increasing heel pressure by being forward into the shin.

The image is a comment that should appear in the comments section of the CARV vid. (Assuming all us youtube users see the same comments.) The comment references content in the BPS site pay to view.

You’d have to go pretty far flexing your boot inside on the floor to get the heel up I would think.

It really doesn't take much. Go put ski boots on, clip in to skis in the lounge, put one ski forward (like Paula on the bottom of a turn) and lean on the cuff of the boot that is behind. Not hard to bend the behind ski a little to get the tail light or even off the floor.

What’s the statement on the heel? I don’t see how you increase heel pressure by being absurdly forward. I could see, at some point the shin gets pushed back, increasing from what was there, but it still has to be less than standing centered.

As I understand it: the heel lifts and the CARV sensors lift with them so still registering pressure. The cuff is "supporting" at the front so less pressure registering on the balls of the feet than would be the case if the cuff wasn't involved.

Is this a weakness of CARV? Sort of depends. I listen to lots of random instructors who recommend skiing through the soles of the feet and not using the boot for extra support (at least most of the time.) It makes sense since we have 100,000 – 200,000 sensors in the sole of each foot, making our feet among the most nerve rich parts of the body. The shins are a lot less effective at sensing.

Sponsor

Staff online