• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m convinced Goose is going to have a crappy trip...just from his sheer will.
Hope his bad mojo is gone before I go two weeks later..
Nope WC68 I wont have a crappy trip. Baring something unfortunate beyond my control, Im excited even just to see the beauti of the box canyon in itself. That alone is worth the plane fair imo.
I could have a good time skiing on Pocono slush or boiler plate so Im sure Ill have a great skiing most anything out there :)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Nope WC68 I wont have a crappy trip. Baring something unfortunate beyond my control, Im excited even just to see the beauti of the box canyon in itself. That alone is worth the plane fair imo.
I could have a good time skiing on Pocono slush or boiler plate so Im sure Ill have a great skiing most anything out there :)
That's the spirit! :)

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Goose..I am going to stay positive by saying that your posts are very “entertaining”......I can only imagine your discussions with your financial advisor. He/she must be a saint!
well, unfortunately there isn't too much to discuss. I only wish I had such a problem..lol
But fwiw I have been known to make a car salesmen want to quit their job.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
well, unfortunately there isn't too much to discuss. I only wish I had such a problem..lol
But fwiw I have been known to make a car salesmen want to quit their job.

Lol......now that’s funny!......I do get a kick out of your posts.........keep it up, have a great trip.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
28070413_10213098016836505_5488778565662874898_o - Copy.jpg 27973189_10213113071172854_5510120958117127268_n - Copy.jpg 27973011_10213097966835255_430888858057345385_n - Copy.jpg 28168830_10213097914913957_6626015239962549704_n - Copy.jpg 28070413_10213098016836505_5488778565662874898_o - Copy.jpg 27973189_10213113071172854_5510120958117127268_n - Copy.jpg 27973011_10213097966835255_430888858057345385_n - Copy.jpg 28168830_10213097914913957_6626015239962549704_n - Copy.jpg

Hope you get some snow and blue sky days. The views are Spectacular!! Revelation Bowl opened last Sunday it was skiing fine!
Monday was a howling snow storm, dropped 9-11 inches making Tuesday a dreamy powder soft bump day.
27973189_10213113071172854_5510120958117127268_n - Copy.jpg 27973011_10213097966835255_430888858057345385_n - Copy.jpg

Some of the lower chutes opened, (the top is still wind blown). more of the woods were open and hey a little jump here and there, those that went first bared the rocks.. I came home unscathed and had a great few days.. Here's to a snowy fun trip for you @Goose

Last edited:
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 40198 View attachment 40199 View attachment 40200 View attachment 40201 View attachment 40198 View attachment 40199 View attachment 40200 View attachment 40201

Hope you get some snow and blue sky days. The views are Spectacular!! Revelation Bowl opened last Sunday it was skiing fine!
Monday was a howling snow storm, dropped 9-11 inches making Tuesday a dreamy powder soft bump day.
View attachment 40199 View attachment 40200

Some of the lower chutes opened, (the top is still wind blown). more of the woods were open and hey a little jump here and there, those that went first bared the rocks.. I came home unscathed and had a great few days.. Here's to a snowy fun trip for you @Goose
wow!.. awesome pics . thanks for sharing. I wish I was there now..lol
A question. How covered is Rev Bowl? Or perhaps better asked.....does it have a base worthy of standing up for some time?
I saw a pic today that showed just a little tall grass/weed sticking through. I just wonder "if" little to no snow would fall between now and the 10th....would that still be skiing or perhaps better asked still be skiing well? My kids (not young) but never had the pleasure of a wide open bowl and id like them to experience that. Your thoughts please? Again...beautiful pics :)

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
A question. How covered is Rev Bowl? Or perhaps better asked.....does it have a base worthy of standing up for some time?
I saw a pic today that showed just a little tall grass/weed sticking through. I just wonder "if" little to no snow would fall between now and the 10th....would that still be skiing or perhaps better asked still be skiing well? My kids (not young) but never had the pleasure of a wide open bowl and id like them to experience that. Your thoughts please? Again...beautiful pics :)

There is Plenty of snow..Here's more photos. They groomed the center off the Revelation lift and the portion to the right (when you get off lift from main Mt)
There were no rocks on the face, nor to the right. Only to the left of the lift a few 'saplings' (in my prior photo) but since I was there they got another 10-15" !!!

Here's looking down from the top of the bowl: You will have a blast. the views are just incredible!! If you have a go-pro take it!! I took some phone videos but a go pro would capture it all better.
It is VERY steep and FUN 28059150_10213097915473971_8951026893110473787_n - Copy.jpg

27868035_10213097920074086_614752906080376653_n - Copy.jpg

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier

We just skied Rev Bowl yesterday and will hit it again today. It's skiing really well. In fact, the entire mountain is skiing just fine. We got a few inches and that's all you need to really have a great day.

The views are amazing, the food is great so far, and the people are nice. Barring some extreme snow loss, I'm sure you're gonna have a great time.

There are other concerns other than snow. The altitude adjustment is a real thing. We had to quit early yesterday because my son had a bad headache. So make sure you hydrate and consider ibuprofen for everyone.

Also, be patient. My kids are pretty good skiers and have skied out West twice before but they needed a lot of breaks and my daughter (grumbles out loud) pretty much did not want to do anything without a lot of coaxing and a hot chocolate break after every run.

Consider the Plunge Lift area to get everyone used to the terrain before heading up into the bowls.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Telluride is pretty good about not opening terrain unless it is a quality product. Wouldn't want to piss off the trust funders that fly in from NY on their private jets.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Also, Goose, it's a pretty challenging mountain. There will be plenty of stuff that an Eastener who has never been skiing in the West may very well be intimidated by. There are some double blues here that would be double blacks at some of our hills. No exaggeration. It's a steep hill overall so there will be plenty to ski that will challenge you.

There is stuff that is closed that looks pretty good to me. Mostly some of the stuff off of Apex. I am hitting some roots and rocks on some of the off piste but it's still all good. There's tons of stuff with good coverage. At least for this New Yorker who flew coach to get here.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Goose in regards to Altitude, not sure if you've researched or have been exposed before
@hespeler is spot on- drink Lots of water start a week before you go.
This year I read on Pugski about taking Ginko Biloba. I've been taking that before I go and while I'm out West,
I have to say it's working for me being a flat lander (1200ft) I noticed a difference taking the ginko worked well for me.
While I was in Taos, a friend had the bad headaches. (we were sleeping at 9400ft) a local suggested chlorophyll and more water...
I do forgo alcohol for a couple days although I am not a big drinker anyways,
I'd always rather ski then feel crappy but a beer after skiing sure tastes good! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Goose in regards to Altitude, not sure if you've researched or have been exposed before
@hespeler is spot on- drink Lots of water start a week before you go.
This year I read on Pugski about taking Ginko Biloba. I've been taking that before I go and while I'm out West,
I have to say it's working for me being a flat lander (1200ft) I noticed a difference taking the ginko worked well for me.
While I was in Taos, a friend had the bad headaches. (we were sleeping at 9400ft) a local suggested chlorophyll and more water...
I do forgo alcohol for a couple days although I am not a big drinker anyways,
I'd always rather ski then feel crappy but a beer after skiing sure tastes good! Can't wait to hear about your trip!
yup thanks. Ive done all the research one can do about it and Ive done it over again..lol
. Ive been exposed but many years ago in the 80's in the alps on a couple occasions .
Fwiw not a big drinker either so that shouldn't be an issue. Not to say I wont have some scotch or type of whisky and a few brews in the fridge while there.

WC68

Booting up
Skier
. Ive been exposed but many years ago in the 80's in the alps on a couple occasions .
Fwiw not a big drinker either so that shouldn't be an issue. Not to say I wont have some scotch or type of whisky and a few brews in the fridge while there.

The alps aren’t high altitude compared to the Rockies. I’m sure you know that. The altitude is for real if you aren’t used to it. My wife, smartly has already decided she’s not skiing the first day this year.
We’ve had bad experiences with drinking/partying the night of arrival and trying to ski the next mornin...hah

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
FWIW, @Philpug had altitude sickness when he was in Colorado last week, and he'd never had it before.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Just to stay in tune with the spirit of this thread. We're supposed to get some light snow tomorrow and of course the next chance for a storm is on Sunday, the day after we leave. Story of my skiing life...lol.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
yea, Ive read up all I can about it. In the end what can you do? Just be smart, take it easy, drink a lot of water to prevent dehydration, lay off the booze, and you just go and cross your fingers and hope for the best.

This thing gets people and not others. It also gets people who never got it before, people who take pre travel products also still get it. There isn't much you can do. I could have stayed in Montrose the first night after landing at the 5500 ft but then realized someone from sea level can also get it at 5500ft too. If that happens then we'd be stuck in Montrose. I was/am worried about this but what can you do? Be smart , drink water, take it easy, and deal with it if it happens. We only have 6 days (4 free days) and it would be a bummer for any of us to be sick for even 2 of them. After all the reading Ive done about it.....it just is what it is. There isn't much you can do.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Just returned from Telluride and I can honestly say it was the best ski vacation of my life! The mountain, the town, the food, and certainly not least the scenery made for an awesome time.

It definitely helped that we traveled with a couple of other families from our neighborhood and all the kids had a great time skiing with each other. After a few days of instruction they were out-skiing mom and dad (darn short skis).

I can also honestly say that the mountain does need a refresh. They got about 3-4 inches the wknd we arrived (last Saturday) and the mountain skied great until about Thursday. Some of the off-piste is pretty thin (East Coast good to go) and some of the groomers started to get legit icey.

That said Rev Bowl skied well all week. Just have to give it some time in the morning to soften up. But on Friday I was noticing some more grass poking through in some areas.

We hiked to Genevieve and skied that on I think Tuesday and glad we got it in because I probably wouldn't have went in there later in the week. The trees were thin in spots but still fun.

I was able to push myself and skied some of the runs I wanted to do but if there was more snow I would have hit more.

Hopefully they will be on the high end of what's predicted tomorrow and if they get a good amount next wknd the mountain will be great.

I came back with a sunburn like I was on a beach vacation. The sun is strong over there and there's plenty of it. Now it's back to gloomy Gotham...

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just returned from Telluride and I can honestly say it was the best ski vacation of my life! The mountain, the town, the food, and certainly not least the scenery made for an awesome time.

I can also honestly say that the mountain does need a refresh. They got about 3-4 inches the wknd we arrived (last Saturday) and the mountain skied great until about Thursday. Some of the off-piste is pretty thin (East Coast good to go) and some of the groomers started to get legit icey.

That said Rev Bowl skied well all week. Just have to give it some time in the morning to soften up. But on Friday I was noticing some more grass poking through in some areas.

We hiked to Genevieve and skied that on I think Tuesday and glad we got it in because I probably wouldn't have went in there later in the week. The trees were thin in spots but still fun.

I was able to push myself and skied some of the runs I wanted to do but if there was more snow I would have hit more.

Hopefully they will be on the high end of what's predicted tomorrow and if they get a good amount next wknd the mountain will be great.

I came back with a sunburn like I was on a beach vacation. The sun is strong over there and there's plenty of it. Now it's back to gloomy Gotham...

Thanks for the update. As you are aware there was/is practically nothing snow wise that helped since nor anything coming so whatever was a bit problematic would be even more so now. Its just the nature of that beast this year. Maybe we get lucky with the next system. Who knows but the troubling part is that while opensnow talks about snow,possibilities other weather stations are talking rainy mix for sunday/Monday. I spoke with a rep yesterday to go over some my trip details and reconfirming things,etc,,, and then talking the mountain the person said there are runs and areas that have no manmade snow help and are thin. Eve some green and double green (for the wife) were not able to be groomed due to lack of base and some grasses sticking through. Not to inspiring to get her up higher on the mountain. And if we get any wet/rainy mix she probably not even going to bother.

You mention rev bowl being thin and nearly two weeks with little to add is probably even thinner now and certainly by next week. I mean these are the things that were to be somewhat disappointing. What can ya do? A good feruary helped put them on the map again after the worst start but now past week or two and through this week its probably gone backwards a bit. But Im locked and going and I'll make the most of whatever it is I get dealt. Im sure we'll have fun skiing baring rain..lol.
But imo no longer expecting much as for anything so very different from east coast conditions. I mean there just hasnt been the snows recently enough. We'll have a ton more to ski than my usual 200 acre hill of course and im sure the scenery is beautiful but as for being on the snow runs what can I really expect but packed powder at best with some possibly even icy due to winds and skied off terrain. I honestly I just don't know. It is what it is. Im in and we are going and what will be will be. The beauty itself may be all that is needed to inspire and appreciate where we are. I know it will for me but hope the fam finds that somewhat magical too. Of course they no nothing of this entire thread..lol

Sponsor