• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Grumpy Shop Guy Insulted My Boots

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Dude, at this point, this is the funnies page.

If someone can't figure out that was humor, they should stay the hell away from their engine. Common sense not so common. :nono:
Yeah, I know your joking, but I've read many of your posts, and stupid you are not. Other folks might not know you (from your posts) as well, and have learned to never underestimate the possible stupidity of humans.

The Ski Boot Doctor

Booting up
Skier
I shop guy once said that my boot liners smelled too much.
That's embarrassing!

I know skiers who still won't wear socks. I hope that's not your case. The insides of your liner get damp from sweat. The dampness is also under the insole. Water may enter the shell, making the outside of the liner wet. Every skier should know how to remove the liners and insoles. Pour the water out of the shell and dry the liners using a boot dryer. Don't be the person with smelly boots.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know skiers who still won't wear socks. I hope that's not your case.
Many years ago, a bunch of skiers I used to ski with had an on-snow boot day with an insider from Dalbello. Don't ask me how it worked, but the night before, he set up eveyone's boots, and insisted that no one should be wearing socks if they wanted a proper fit. The benefits cited were improved circulation, better response from the boot and better feel.
The latest Zipfits are even designed to be skied without socks.

Your approach to socks seems rather different - I note that on your website, you say "Be sure to put on a pair of medium weight SKI socks". What's your thinking there? Doesn't medium weight make for a pretty imprecise fit?

Last edited:
TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That whole no socks thing was never a thing for me.

We have some eucalyptus smelling spray that is like a miracle for taking that stink away... My boots may be broken but they don't smell. Robin's, on the other hand, pheww!

James

Out There
Instructor
Bowling shoe spray, or:

317F8784-B266-49ED-B122-936E6CD04DCB.jpeg

BB20D445-CB7B-4A2E-8A0B-B9B585BF3C3A.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Should have asked Doc for a second opinion..

1675297862722.png

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My Technica Cochise got dissed by the boot fitter / shop owner at a place I won't name but we had an amusing exchange that went something like this...

Well, a little back story is necessary first. One of my boots has developed a tear in the plastic shell where it bends forward and I asked if it could be fixed. The answer is no it cannot and that is the answer I expected. After looking at it and telling me I need new boots. OK I agree. He went on to say - these boots are only a few years old and they cracked... these are "entry level boots".

"Uh these boots are at least 8-years old and I have over 200 days in them and they are hybrids but they are not what I would call entry level."
"No they're entry level boots."
"A lot of patrollers love these boots."
"Patrollers don't ski."
"They ski."
"Well I guess I don't know what I'm talking about."
"I didn't say that. Thanks for checking them out."

He could have easily sold me a pair of boots if he hadn't insulted my Technica's but also he is more of a racing skier and probably hates the hybrid models and he ticked me off enough that I wouldn't give him my custom.

Just wanted to vent.
Take said "Entry level boot" and show him how "Entry level" it is when you plant it in a well deserved locations. Ask him how "Entry Level" it feels as some pulls it from same said deserved location.

:ogcool:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
This story reminds me of when my wife and I got engaged a looong time ago. I had purchased the engagement ring at a retailer but it did not have a matching wedding ring with it. We went to local, downtown jewelry store and asked about having a custom band made that would match the engagement ring. After looking over the ring the owner of the store says "we can make a band. Of course, it will be much nicer than your ring". The guy was lucky to survive the encounter as I pretty much had to hold my now wife back to keep her from going across the table and ripping his throat out like a velociraptor.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I just realized I don’t really … wash … my feet. Are you supposed to? Doesn’t the shower do it for you?
Shampoo on the head and it washes everything else on the way down:huh: Nice seeing you yesterday...next time we'll have to actually ski together.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shampoo on the head and it washes everything else on the way down:huh:
Granted I'm anal, but I think there needs to be friction involved. Soapy water would seem to cut the other way. I'm more perplexed about whether I need to fully remove the prior day's underarm deodorant given I'll be putting on another layer a few minutes later.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
“ dittioed”. How many people here know what that is? :D
I do but I haven’t heard that in years. Actually we had ditto machines in the early 80’s at my college even though more modern means were in use then.
I can smell the fresh ink right now. I loved that smell as a child.
But I've never loved the smell of dirty rotten feet. I wash mine.
And spray them with hydrogen peroxide just to make sure.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
You must have gotten rid of the yellow boots of yesteryear. They were eight years old back then. But you could ski them!

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You must have gotten rid of the yellow boots of yesteryear. They were eight years old back then. But you could ski them!
If you're speaking of my old , circa 1989 yellow Lange Tii's, I retired them at the ripe, and I mean ripe, old age of 25. Now some of those years I barely skied at all, but some I skied 60+ days. The liners were well packed and were disintegrating. The shells would outlast any apocalypse and are I Imagine doing just fine in some landfill somewhere. Why you could dig those suckers out today and ski in them!

After affixing some Gorilla tape to my Technicas I think they will last another 10 years or so... well at least a few weeks so I can do some boot shopping!

Sponsor

Staff online