• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Grumpy Shop Guy Insulted My Boots

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My Technica Cochise got dissed by the boot fitter / shop owner at a place I won't name but we had an amusing exchange that went something like this...

Well, a little back story is necessary first. One of my boots has developed a tear in the plastic shell where it bends forward and I asked if it could be fixed. The answer is no it cannot and that is the answer I expected. After looking at it and telling me I need new boots. OK I agree. He went on to say - these boots are only a few years old and they cracked... these are "entry level boots".

"Uh these boots are at least 8-years old and I have over 200 days in them and they are hybrids but they are not what I would call entry level."
"No they're entry level boots."
"A lot of patrollers love these boots."
"Patrollers don't ski."
"They ski."
"Well I guess I don't know what I'm talking about."
"I didn't say that. Thanks for checking them out."

He could have easily sold me a pair of boots if he hadn't insulted my Technica's but also he is more of a racing skier and probably hates the hybrid models and he ticked me off enough that I wouldn't give him my custom.

Just wanted to vent.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But the real question is, how does your boots feel about being insulted. Boots got feelings too. :ogbiggrin:

Seriously, the guy was out of line. If I am the owner, I would fired him in a heartbeat.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Didn't you replace you Tii's with these? What would have said about them.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think he is the owner. lol

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Didn't you replace you Tii's with these? What would have said about them.
Yes they are my first post Tii boots. He probably would have loved the Langes. They were bricks.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was in college, the boot seller (seller, not fitter) measured my feet and said, "Whoa, you got some big feet!" I just looked at him and said, well, I would tip over otherwise? (For the record, I am 5'9" and wear a women's 9.5, which I don't think is anything but normal for my height.)

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve run across boot fitters/shop owners like this person

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Retail can seriously grind ya down, even the greatest folk can have a bad day and say stupid shat….

I almost got ground down my first day.

I started a garage renovation business back in 2003 before it was "a thing". I spent about 4 months of time and 6 figures of capital on everything I would need, including a home show display that knocked people out when they walked by. I still had never actually done an epoxy floor but I put together some big samples to sell from. The show was quite the success and I had about 15 really solid retail appointments booked. The best lead was this lady who lived two counties away so I paired her up with this other guy who was also way out in the sticks and an hour's drive beyond the first appointment.

Appointment #1 was supposed to be easy money but when I got there she seemed almost surprised to see me. I spent an hour sweating my ass off in her messy garage trying to come up with an inspired design. She went back in the house where it was cool. When I coaxed her out of the house and showed her the floor samples her only comment was "that looks like vomit". Without another word I packed up my stuff and drove off. That was my first retail in-home sales attempt for the new venture.

It took me another hour of driving to find the next appointment. Nothing but trailers, cattle gates and the occasional mailbox to reference but I eventually found the cattle gate I was looking for. I live on the coast and I had driven almost to the middle of the state for appointment #2. I considered turning around and going home. Based on the neighborhood, or lack of it, I didn't have a lot of confidence in this one - the guy was an outlandish character who looked like an aging professional wrestler; an easy 6'-6" tall dude with blond grey hair and a plus sized African American wife in a skin tight leopard skin outfit. Back at the home show you could see them coming down the crowded aisles from anywhere in the building. They really were a pair to look at but finally they walked into my display, asked some questions and made an appointment. Their address was a long way away, but I was determined to run down every retail opportunity I had.

The gate had a code which he had given me. The driveway was exceedingly long, well paved and quite wide with an intermittent white stripe down the middle. Curious choice... then I noticed the blue lights on either side and realized the driveway doubles as his runway. At the end of the runway, hidden by some giant live oaks was the house and the air conditioned 8 car garage. It was brutally hot so they insisted I come inside and have some iced tea before we measured the space. They were some of the nicest clients I ever encountered and after enduring the country club witch earlier in the day I was ecstatic to make a good sale at full retail.

Retail is weird and retail remodeling seems to bring out the best and worst in people.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All I can say is I would have been taken to the back room and given a talking to at either of the shops I worked at if I spoke to a customer like that. And that was long before Yelp makes that kind of attitude costly.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I started a garage renovation business back in 2003 before it was "a thing". I spent about 4 months of time and 6 figures of capital on everything I would need, including a home show display that knocked people out when they walked by. I still had never actually done an epoxy floor but I put together some big samples to sell from. The show was quite the success and I had about 15 really solid retail appointments booked. The best lead was this lady who lived two counties away so I paired her up with this other guy who was also way out in the sticks and an hour's drive beyond the first appointment.

Appointment #1 was supposed to be easy money but when I got there she seemed almost surprised to see me. I spent an hour sweating my ass off in her messy garage trying to come up with an inspired design. She went back in the house where it was cool. When I coaxed her out of the house and showed her the floor samples her only comment was "that looks like vomit". Without another word I packed up my stuff and drove off. That was my first retail in-home sales attempt for the new venture.

It took me another hour of driving to find the next appointment. Nothing but trailers, cattle gates and the occasional mailbox to reference but I eventually found the cattle gate I was looking for. I live on the coast and I had driven almost to the middle of the state for appointment #2. I considered turning around and going home. Based on the neighborhood, or lack of it, I didn't have a lot of confidence in this one - the guy was an outlandish character who looked like an aging professional wrestler; an easy 6'-6" tall dude with blond grey hair and a plus sized African American wife in a skin tight leopard skin outfit. Back at the home show you could see them coming down the crowded aisles from anywhere in the building. They really were a pair to look at but finally they walked into my display, asked some questions and made an appointment. Their address was a long way away, but I was determined to run down every retail opportunity I had.

The gate had a code which he had given me. The driveway was exceedingly long, well paved and quite wide with an intermittent white stripe down the middle. Curious choice... then I noticed the blue lights on either side and realized the driveway doubles as his runway. At the end of the runway, hidden by some giant live oaks was the house and the air conditioned 8 car garage. It was brutally hot so they insisted I come inside and have some iced tea before we measured the space. They were some of the nicest clients I ever encountered and after enduring the country club witch earlier in the day I was ecstatic to make a good sale at full retail.

Retail is weird and retail remodeling seems to bring out the best and worst in people.
Yes. I once had customers like that, also a couple. They looked like they’d never seen snow before let alone skied but despite the obvious hairpiece and being somewhat overdressed, they turned out to be lovely, interesting people and none of the other people on the floor wanted to deal with them .They were going to the Europe for several months it turned out and wanted to buy new equipment in the states so they could get used to it. . Turns out he had grown up in Switzerland and she spent part of her youth in Japan and they had just sold their business . I sold them everything skis boots everything-including Bogner. Complete head to toe outfitting. On the way out the guy tried to tip me- I said I can’t except it. About 2 months later a postcard arrived at the shop from Val Thorens I think - Having a wonderful time, love the equipment so happy , have a great time in college etc. it was unexpectedly gratifying to get that postcard . Moral of the story- don’t judge a book….you know the rest.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Now I remembered why we only did public sector work.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
When a young man, I worked in sports stores & ski shops to pay for college. Saw my fair share of really awful sales people.

I always tried to do the right thing for customers. Despite that, my natural awkwardness got me in trouble a few times. An example from the 70s:

I was working in a ski shop when a couple in their 30s walked in. The guy brought his girlfriend in to buy some new ski boots. The young woman was so gorgeous I had a hard time staying focused and struggled to form complete sentences for a while. Anyway, after a few awkward moments, I got the young woman to sit down and take off her shoes & socks so I could evaluate her feet. I let out a gasp when I saw her bare feet. The boyfriend laughed and said something like "yeah, they're pretty ugly". They truly were. I tried to maintain composure but they burst out laughing & I eventually joined in. Things went fine after that & she got some new boots.

Ironic wrinkle to the story: years later, I ended up marrying the guy's sister. His girlfriend had become his wife - and she never let me forget my reaction to seeing her feet years earlier.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
you probably went into a local ski shop, often they hire kids who are as old as some boots so not unexpected. I wouldn't slag the employee, if they knew it wouldn't have been an issue.

I receive odd advice in business frequently. (I usually just bite my tongue even if encouraging it can be entertaining.)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
When I was in college, the boot seller (seller, not fitter) measured my feet and said, "Whoa, you got some big feet!" I just looked at him and said, well, I would tip over otherwise? (For the record, I am 5'9" and wear a women's 9.5, which I don't think is anything but normal for my height.)
I'm shorter than you with the same size foot.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
you probably went into a local ski shop, often they hire kids who are as old as some boots so not unexpected. I wouldn't slag the employee, if they knew it wouldn't have been an issue.

I receive odd advice in business frequently. (I usually just bite my tongue even if encouraging it can be entertaining.)
It was a long established ski shop adjacent to a major mountain that has been doing business for decades. I believe he is a skilled tech who has been working on skis and fitting boots forever and I believe his partners are the people people there.

Sponsor

Staff online