• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Grumpy Shop Guy Insulted My Boots

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I used to pour a new quart through to wash out the “sludge” in the pan. Or that little bit you know is in the bottom. Then put the drain plug back in.
It’s definitely not all out though.
So you're washing your feet...is what you're saying... :roflmao:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Feet washing while standing up ........ still able to do it, but it's a high risk endeavor.
Time to buy a bench/stool

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Jerry Seinfeld himself has assured us that "the runoff" takes care of the lower extremities.
<smh> Years ago, during a visit to the dermatologist for a case of contact dermatitis, I was advised to wash 4 areas -- face, pits, groin, and feet -- and that the runoff would sufficiently clean the rest.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I was in college, the boot seller (seller, not fitter) measured my feet and said, "Whoa, you got some big feet!" I just looked at him and said, well, I would tip over otherwise? (For the record, I am 5'9" and wear a women's 9.5, which I don't think is anything but normal for my height.)
I'm shorter than you with the same size foot.
I’ve a college friend whose mom was about your height or taller, whose shoe size was the same as mine. I mean, yeah, my feet are flippers for someone my size, but how on earth does someone who is 5’9” have a 6.5 dress shoe size??
-
@SBrown did you happen to be wearing a solid color turtleneck sweater at the time because I get the idea he said feet but was thinking something entirely different ogwink :cool:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't share his conviction..I wish I did..so much dithering... Next up, is ALLLL of the oil drained when I do an oil change? Is it enough? What's left in there?

Remove both the oil pan drain plug and the oil filter. Let drain for 30 minute. Start up the engine and let idle for 5 more minute to get every drop of oil from the upper oil galleries. Worked every time. :ogcool: :ogbiggrin:

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Hah, must be the curse of the Cochise!

Last guy I saw get thrown out of a boot shop was wearing Cochise. This was in Chamonix. I’m on the bench, which holds prob 3 people on that side. A Norwegian guy late 20’s comes in wearing a belt full of caribiners. Not an entry level skier.

While the shop owner works on me and another person, the kid starts asking about things. He calls his boots Cochaise, as if it’s French. (To the annoyance of the bootfitter, but he let it slide at the time)
They go back and forth, with the level of irritation rising. The Cochise wearer wants a footbed and some other work, but since he has some sort of sponsorship, he could get free bootwork done, and he wonders if it’s worth it to go back for it. That’s in Norway!
The cost they were talking here is €100-150.

I tried telling the kid it was going to cost him more than that to go to Norway and back. But he wouldn’t give it up. After the “most people here get a job…”, comment, it kept going downhill. It was somewhat entertaining. It became clear the kid either was not going to pay for service, or the hassle in providing that service really wasn’t worth it. So, he told him to leave!

So the Cochise’s walked out the door. The boots were never insulted. Neither was the wearer really, but I’m sure he thought so.
I’m with the shop on this one. The guy sounds…

Wearing hardware around town is also a tell, a Chamonix thing among a certain segment…. people actually mountaineering put it on when about to go into alpine terrain and take it off immediately after (and would have more than carabiners).

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Remove both the oil pan drain plug and the oil filter. Let drain for 30 minute. Start up the engine and let idle for 5 more minute to get every drop of oil from the upper oil galleries. Worked every time. :ogcool: :ogbiggrin:
too complicated. and feels a little like playing russian roulette with your engine block. having said that, i knew someone who was doing an oil change on an air cooled 911 - he buttoned everything up, went for a 5 mile drive, and then remembered that he didn't actually add any oil after he drained it. he claimed that there was no damage. and no, it was not me. maybe engine oil is over-rated after all.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just realized I don’t really … wash … my feet. Are you supposed to? Doesn’t the shower do it for you?
that is what i am going to go with from now on

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I used to pour a new quart through to wash out the “sludge” in the pan. Or that little bit you know is in the bottom. Then put the drain plug back in.
It’s definitely not all out though.
You're not helping. Don't say it's not all out!!! It's ALLLL out, right?!?!

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Finders, minders and grinders, they all have their roles (though my FIL was a one-man shop architect, and very successful, and perhaps the kindest, quietest guy you'd ever meet). As a kid, Mrs. K would help put the dittoed proposals together from the dining room table.
“ dittioed”. How many people here know what that is? :D
I do but I haven’t heard that in years. Actually we had ditto machines in the early 80’s at my college even though more modern means were in use then.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oy. I imagine your engine builder loved it.

I was an engine lubrication design and development engineer for about eight years at one of the Big Three. I just let it get hot, drain it for ten minutes while I change the filter, put the plug back in and fill it up.

Run it with no oil? No. Just... no.

James

Out There
Instructor

I was an engine lubrication design and development engineer for about eight years. I just let it get hot, drain it for ten minutes while I change the filter, put the plug back in and fill it up.
Lol. No worries?
Maybe you should be a lubrication therapist! Judging by the endless oil threads on the internet, there’s a good market for it.
@scott43 could be your first client.

How about an auto trans? It stays in the torque converter.
My one brilliant plan to get it all out was to disconnect the cooler line. With a pail marked in qts, i started and stopped the motor. Originally going by 1 qt at a time, that was too quick, so I did 2 qts. Two ot, stop, two in. Then go beyond the capacity by a couple qts. Just to be sure.
I think it worked. But that was on a relatively simple vehicle where it’s easy to get to the parts.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I was an engine lubrication design and development engineer for about eight years at one of the Big Three. I just let it get hot, drain it for ten minutes while I change the filter, put the plug back in and fill it up.

Run it with no oil? No. Just... no.

Dude, at this point, this is the funnies page.

If someone can't figure out that was humor, they should stay the hell away from their engine. Common sense not so common. :nono:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hah, must be the curse of the Cochise!

So the Cochise’s walked out the door. The boots were never insulted. Neither was the wearer really, but I’m sure he thought so.
Politeness goes a long way in France , especially where foreigners are concerned. People complain about this sometimes and sometimes rightly so but I’ve found politeness and courtesy are just expected and valued culturally. I’ve been to France many times and my French is …not very good but I’ve never had a really bad experience because a little effort goes a long way. .

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If someone can't figure out that was humor, they should stay the hell away from their engine.
Performance art. You know, humorless engineers?...

Yes, I'm not Andy Kaufman, that's why I'm still an engineer.

Sponsor

Staff online