• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ever wonder? - random ski related questions

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
View attachment 39701 View attachment 39702

I don't mind the cute animal one's on a child, but IMHO these two covers are just horrible!!!!

I wear one of these when I’m skiing with my family, so they can quickly identify me. I always ski “cleanup”, and they used to complain that I looked like everyone else.

It’s not embarrassing if you don’t care.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Ever Wonder how a group that is so concerned about the safety of their bindings and the safety of their helmets could ride a chair lift and not put the bar down? But that's just me and talk about another thread.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ever Wonder how a group that is so concerned about the safety of their bindings and the safety of their helmets could ride a chair lift and not put the bar down? But that's just me and talk about another thread.

So they can safely huck their carcass down terrain like this for bragging rights.

Kachina Peak.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
So they can safely huck their carcass down terrain like this for bragging rights.

View attachment 39930
KG that is a great photo but I do not see a chair?

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
Since I'm in a fine mood today.......what compels people to throw mardi gras beads, bras, and other undergarments in trees next to the lift??

I have often wondered about this same thing. Could some of our members enlighten us on this subject.:huh: Could adult beverages be involved?

About those bra trees..... how do women wriggle out of their bras under all their ski gear?

When I took my nephew skiing at around 7 years old, I got that question. I didn't give him an answer back then either...:ogcool:

We are too old and clueless and generally pathetic. No one is going to tell us. If you have to ask ...

The adult beverages are typically involved the night before. The woman isn't wearing the bra/undergarment to start the ski day because it's in the possession of the guy who shared the alcoholic beverages with her last night. That's how it's supposed to work.

Although some of the bra trees I've seen have bras that clearly came off of middle school students, so I'm sincerely hoping that isn't the case for those.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Based on the type of bra usually dangling, I've thought they bought the bra especially to be thrown in the tree and carried it in their coat to do so. Alternatively, the bra was so uncomfortable that they took it off the last time they took their coat off and, once again, took it out of a pocket. Because it's easy to remove a bra that has the standard hook set up and to stay clothed while doing so. The hookless kind is doable for some, but not me.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

KG that is a great photo but I do not see a chair?

We are men. We don't need no sticking chair. :D

That was hike to terrain until a few years back. They put a chair up there since.

Kachina Peak w lift.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've thought they bought the bra especially to be thrown in the tree and carried it in their coat to do so.

So it's sort of like adding a stone to a cairn as you pass: It started out meaning something but now it's mostly just something people do because the people before them did it. That's what I think I'm hearing. Of course cairns have an actual purpose, and don't amount to gaudy littering ... Now where's my shaking stick?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm sure this has been answered before but it has been bugging me for a while. On the lift cable, what are the white paint marks near where the chairs clip on? What is their purpose?

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm sure this has been answered before but it has been bugging me for a while. On the lift cable, what are the white paint marks near where the chairs clip on? What is their purpose?

I always thought that was a spacing assistance for when they took them off over the summer. But maybe it's an "avoid" spot to reduce cable wear in one area?

Fun fact.. Those clamps on the lift cable holding that metal bucket which suspends you sometimes a hundred feet above rocky cliffs.. Well, they aren't clamped ALL the way down on the cable as tightly as most people think, They are set to a particular torque which allows them to start sliding down the cable if they hit something solid.. Those white marks are to show where they were initially clamped at the beginning of the season.. If they rattle too far down the cable past the mark that is a clue to check the torque..

See how these chairs stacked up when one got stuck somehow? This was NOT a detachable chairlift.. First one jammed at the previous tower and the next four got pushed in to eachother as their claws allowed the cable to slide along instead of snapping the whole cable. That was how the equipment was supposed to work when a chair jams at a tower like that..

Tussey-Mountain-893256.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/chairlifts-collide-ski-lift-malfunction-injuring-51843323

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fun fact.. Those clamps on the lift cable holding that metal bucket which suspends you sometimes a hundred feet above rocky cliffs.. Well, they aren't clamped ALL the way down on the cable as tightly as most people think, They are set to a particular torque which allows them to start sliding down the cable if they hit something solid.. Those white marks are to show where they were initially clamped at the beginning of the season.. If they rattle too far down the cable past the mark that is a clue to check the torque..

See how these chairs stacked up when one got stuck somehow? This was NOT a detachable chairlift.. First one jammed at the previous tower and the next four got pushed in to eachother as their claws allowed the cable to slide along instead of snapping the whole cable. That was how the equipment was supposed to work when a chair jams at a tower like that..

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/chairlifts-collide-ski-lift-malfunction-injuring-51843323

This is as I feared now I will be gauging how far chairs are sliding on every chairlift I ride now. Maybe it is better to be ignorant of these things?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
With the price of new ski boots at an all time high, why has the price of used ski boots stayed about the same around $50, even if they have only been used for a few days? That includes all performance levels, not only beginner boots.

Because it's less than one day ticket price ...and that (one ski day) is the amount of risk we're willing to undertake with them?

Uncle-A

Skier
Because it's less than one day ticket price ...and that (one ski day) is the amount of risk we're willing to undertake with them?
But is it cheaper than a season rental? Most people are buying their boots too large anyway because most used boots are for growing feet so it is not just a one day price.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But is it cheaper than a season rental? Most people are buying their boots too large anyway because most used boots are for growing feet so it is not just a one day price.

Not at the swaps here, >90% of MP25-30 boots are priced under $100, and it can't all be hugeous footed late teens, can it?

Cheaper, no. But I reckon that's a mindset thing.

Sponsor

Staff online