• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ever wonder? - random ski related questions

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Not at the swaps here, >90% of MP25-30 boots are priced under $100, and it can't all be hugeous footed late teens, can it?

Cheaper, no. But I reckon that's a mindset thing.
Most of the swap boots around here are under $50 not under $100, I would be happy if I could get close to $100.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I always thought that was a spacing assistance for when they took them off over the summer. But maybe it's an "avoid" spot to reduce cable wear in one area?

I noticed in Taos that they have several marks spaced along the cable per chair, of different colors. I assume that was each seasons clamp spot over several seasons, and each was a couple of feet in front the next. So it does seem like they moved them to a "fresh" spot each year.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I always thought that was a spacing assistance for when they took them off over the summer. But maybe it's an "avoid" spot to reduce cable wear in one area?
They take them off in the summer by you?

David

Skier
But is it cheaper than a season rental? Most people are buying their boots too large anyway because most used boots are for growing feet so it is not just a one day price.
Never been to a ski swap huh?

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I noticed in Taos that they have several marks spaced along the cable per chair, of different colors. I assume that was each seasons clamp spot over several seasons, and each was a couple of feet in front the next. So it does seem like they moved them to a "fresh" spot each year.

Nope. the answer is below..

Fun fact.. Those clamps on the lift cable holding that metal bucket which suspends you sometimes a hundred feet above rocky cliffs.. Well, they aren't clamped ALL the way down on the cable as tightly as most people think, They are set to a particular torque which allows them to start sliding down the cable if they hit something solid.. Those white marks are to show where they were initially clamped at the beginning of the season.. If they rattle too far down the cable past the mark that is a clue to check the torque..

See how these chairs stacked up when one got stuck somehow? This was NOT a detachable chairlift.. First one jammed at the previous tower and the next four got pushed in to eachother as their claws allowed the cable to slide along instead of snapping the whole cable. That was how the equipment was supposed to work when a chair jams at a tower like that..

Tussey-Mountain-893256.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/chairlifts-collide-ski-lift-malfunction-injuring-51843323

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Not sure why you say "nope". Your response and mine aren't in conflict.

If there's more than one mark, It's more likely that they check and mark them about once a month. I doubt the paint would still be visible after an entire year out on the elements with all the duress the cable endures going round and round the bullwheels and over all the rollers all day every day..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If there's more than one mark, It's more likely that they check and mark them about once a month. I doubt the paint would still be visible after an entire year out on the elements with all the duress the cable endures going round and round the bullwheels and over all the rollers all day every day..

Hmmm.... each mark was a bit longer than the chair clamp and spaced a couple of feet in front of the next mark. And the same several marks/colors for each chair. If it was monthly checks, why would the marks have been spaced the way they were?

Uncle-A

Skier
Never been to a ski swap huh?
Not sure if you are saying that "You" or "I have never" because I have been to many, the last one this fall in NJ and could not get $59.00 for a very good pair of 27.5 Technica Boots.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hmmm.... each mark was a bit longer than the chair clamp and spaced a couple of feet in front of the next mark. And the same several marks/colors for each chair. If it was monthly checks, why would the marks have been spaced the way they were?

I would imagine the farther up the marks are the older they are.. Chair slides back down the rope about a foot per month and gets a new mark farther back?? The point is that the chairs are designed to slide down the haul rope under stress rather than stretch and break the cable. The accident at Tussley was a kinda horrific example of this design. The drive motor should have been stopped well before the first two chairs stacked up. But the results were far less catastrophic than they would have been had the cable snapped when the first chair got stuck in the rollers..

David

Skier
Not sure if you are saying that "You" or "I have never" because I have been to many, the last one this fall in NJ and could not get $59.00 for a very good pair of 27.5 Technica Boots.
"Most used boots are for frowing feet."?
I used to work and run 2 a year for 15 years and I still go to at least 1 a year. While there are always a lot of boots for growing feet there are as many or more for adults...at least around here!

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
"Most used boots are for frowing feet."?
I used to work and run 2 a year for 15 years and I still go to at least 1 a year. While there are always a lot of boots for growing feet there are as many or more for adults...at least around here!

It's a testimonial to how often people buy the wrong boot then buy another pair. Most who give up on skiing don't bother with swaps. They either try to sell them online or just donate them somewhere. Only worth the trouble of a ski swap if they're still active in the sport..

Uncle-A

Skier
It's a testimonial to how often people buy the wrong boot then buy another pair. Most who give up on skiing don't bother with swaps. They either try to sell them online or just donate them somewhere. Only worth the trouble of a ski swap if they're still active in the sport..
Fewer and fewer Ski Swaps are run each year, two of the four shops I worked in would run a swap every year also for about 15 years. Maybe it is because of things like e-bay or some of those sales apps for our phones or just less ski shops around in general.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Fewer and fewer Ski Swaps are run each year, two of the four shops I worked in would run a swap every year also for about 15 years. Maybe it is because of things like e-bay or some of those sales apps for our phones or just less ski shops around in general.

Only ones I hear about are the ones in the resort parking lots. I remember when the good shops would have a huge annual ski swap in October and always wondered.. "Why would a ski shop want to help people buy used gear??" I guess they may get folks who show up and end up buying retail when they don't find what they are looking for in the used gear.. Still, seems like inviting low cost competitors on their property..

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Only ones I hear about are the ones in the resort parking lots. I remember when the good shops would have a huge annual ski swap in October and always wondered.. "Why would a ski shop want to help people buy used gear??" I guess they may get folks who show up and end up buying retail when they don't find what they are looking for in the used gear.. Still, seems like inviting low cost competitors on their property..
The way it is supposed to work is to keep a flow of people into the activity/shop. Also, at lest the ones around here, the shop took 20%. So, assuming there is going to be a used market anyway, why not take 20% of it?

Uncle-A

Skier
The way it is supposed to work is to keep a flow of people into the activity/shop. Also, at lest the ones around here, the shop took 20%. So, assuming there is going to be a used market anyway, why not take 20% of it?
I went to a swap this past fall and if you sold something and wanted the cash they took 20% but if you took a store credit you got 100%. Plus they shop figured that if you sell your old stuff there is a good chance you would replace it with the place that helped you sell that old stuff.

David

Skier
When we did ours about half our stuff was a year or two old new stuff from shops. Most shops also offer a trade-in for anyone who buys new gear they give credit for their trade-in.

Uncle-A

Skier
When we did ours about half our stuff was a year or two old new stuff from shops. Most shops also offer a trade-in for anyone who buys new gear they give credit for their trade-in.
What did the shop do with the one or two year old trade-ins? Rentals?

Sponsor

Staff online