• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cat in a box

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Another non-box photo. I picked up a hitchhiker and his girlfriend many years ago way down in the Big Bend area of South Texas. They mentioned that they had a mountain lion as a pet...
View attachment 27597
View attachment 27598

They turned out to be a really cool couple who managed a ranch, something my wife and I did for 12 years until recently. I was able to hug and wrastle with it a little and held my ear up to its neck to hear it purr. INCREDIBLY LOUD, amazing sound. Much like a diesel engine. A very sweet cat. Unbelievable strength. I do not recall why they had it or if it was a rescue of some type. Neat experience.

I have very mixed feelings about this (wildlife as pets), but that is a very cool experience.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
I have very mixed feelings about this (wildlife as pets), but that is a very cool experience.

agreed. anytime I see a story about someone who has an apex predator as a "pet" I cringe a little inside, no matter how "cute" or "cuddly" that animal may be. it's only a matter of time when that animal decides that it's "owner" is lunch.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
agreed. anytime I see a story about someone who has an apex predator as a "pet" I cringe a little inside, no matter how "cute" or "cuddly" that animal may be. it's only a matter of time when that animal decides that it's "owner" is lunch.

Eh. To me, that's just a matter of natural consequences playing out (if it happens at all, which it doesn't always). To me, it has more to do with the unnatural conditions to which the animal is subjected. And the possible impact to humans / pets other than the owner.

If the animal can't survive in its natural habitat, that changes things.

Again, all my perspective - and if you ask me why it's soooo bad that a wild animal get "stuck" in a human environment with limited range but regular meals, I can't quite explain it. Obviously our domesticated pets made that choice long ago. Although I guess that describes human prison, too.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Almost in. Too dark to get a pic when she's actually lounging inside.

IMG_0339.JPG

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Eh. To me, that's just a matter of natural consequences playing out (if it happens at all, which it doesn't always). To me, it has more to do with the unnatural conditions to which the animal is subjected. And the possible impact to humans / pets other than the owner.

If the animal can't survive in its natural habitat, that changes things.

Again, all my perspective - and if you ask me why it's soooo bad that a wild animal get "stuck" in a human environment with limited range but regular meals, I can't quite explain it. Obviously our domesticated pets made that choice long ago. Although I guess that describes human prison, too.

I think over generalizing denies the emotions of the animal. There is absolutely nothing to say that big cat wasn't at a vastly greater state of emotional welfare than say a pocket dog stuck alone in an apartment all day.

The problem with predators, including all canines, is the seeking emotion is very strong and difficult to satisfy within human property constraints. That's why your indoor cat is insane by definition, and has to resort to f******g with you and your stuff.

IMG_7870.JPG

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a box. But tandem water spouts.... Old guys with kidney issues, so whatever gets them to drink...

Sponsor

Staff online