• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Can't speak for others but his FOUR kids are getting older now so that may be the more critical time. Seems like a lot of the fathers on the World Cup have newborns or toddlers, I don't think there are many with 10, 5, 3, and 2 year olds!

Ah, good point. I somehow only knew about two kids.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well thanks for some of the most amazing skiing I've ever seen. I'd love to see him in freeskiing movies as a hobby gig but I sense the $$$ may not be enough for him there. He's a rule breaker which means I doubt he'll follow anyone's advice about what's prudent in terms of investment. Could mean his next gig is phenomenally successful or crashes and burns and so on.

At least there's always Dancing with the Stars as a safety net.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Great career! Interesting insights above. The tough one is outside of the very small world of skiing, no one knows who Bode is anymore. Don't know there's a whole lot to leverage. Sacrilege maybe, but we forget how small and relatively insignificant ski racing is in the US. I'm sure he'd have better luck with ad contracts, etc.., in Europe. Burning the Head bridge seems pretty silly, but whatever. It's his call.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting, non mainstream outlet for Bode to admit that he's done. He does a lot on In Depth. Just sort of put this out there. Did he ever use the word "retire?"

Classic Bode. Just watched some of the other videos. Pretty interesting.

Wish him well. He's always been one of a kind in so many ways. Pretty much forever.

Thanks for posting this!
I was noticing how he got a little fidgety when he was asked about his future and if he'd reconsider a professional racing career again.

Moses

Booting up
Skier
Can't speak for others but his FOUR kids are getting older now so that may be the more critical time. Seems like a lot of the fathers on the World Cup have newborns or toddlers, I don't think there are many with 10, 5, 3, and 2 year olds!

Youngest daughter is only 11 months or so

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The actual public announcement of his retirement is something that many connected to the sport feel is long overdue. He's been retired since he sliced his leg at the 2015 WC's at Beaver Creek. It was quite clear to those closer to him that he was just fried, cooked.

Now, a number of other things can actually be logically sequenced. Like the NBC announcement. It's not like they put this deal together a few days after his official announcement. It's been a done deal for many months. He cut his teeth last season, and I'm hoping that this might lead to a career announcing or commentating for other sports as well, should he have interest in doing so. My point though is that the announcement form NBC came 100 days before the games start, and I bet that the release that he is "no longer going to race professionally" was timed accordingly.

Now, being retired "officially", I would assume that Bomber will no longer be suggesting that they are going to launch a serious race program, which has been alluded to since Bode joined them. I think that helps them, if they define the brand as premium, free skiing, custom graphics, hand made in Italy, etc. For their target customer, that is more important that "Bode races on these because they are better than Head", or whatever some chose to believe. My opinion is that being "retired" will open more doors for him. He is no longer insisting that he be referred to as USST skier Bode Miller, and dealing with all of the confusion there, and instead is former WC overall champion and retired USST skier, Bode Miller.

I wonder when we will hear of Julia Mancuso having some prominent air time on NBC at the games. I would bet money on that. We'll hear that her comeback is problematic, she's not ready, and we may even hear that her rehab is continuing. Then, we may see her on the air. NBC loves her, always have. Perhaps that will lead to a continuing role there.

We have five big names that were associated with the USST, more of less, a year ago. Bode is retired. Mikaela is still not even mid way into her ski career, IMO. That leaves Ligety, Mancuso, and Vonn. All you hear is that there is going to be huge turnover with the USST after the season. Throughout the organization.

Any bets on whether we'll see all three of them continue? Two, one, none? I think their skiing and results will tell a lot. Hope that Ligety and LV ski well, and remain healthy. Mancuso?

There are always retirements after an Olympic year. Expect many, throughout the field.

Best of luck to Bode in all of his future endeavors, including continuing to put his family first. And yeah, Emmie's first birthday is this coming Sunday, 11/5. Not sure why that matters....at all! Point being that having four kids, under ten, with three different women, makes things "busy."

Cheers to Bode!

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
Hope he pairs with Perino and they do it right!

He and Porino make a good team. That announcement makes it pretty clear that Bode will be working with Dan Hicks. Porino will be on the hill, probably up at the start, etc. I'd be more excited with no Hicks.

I also hope that Bode has pretty much complete latitude to speak. I don't want it dumbed down, aka "the spray of snow is slow", but I don't really understand how they play to a huge Olympic audience. Different one that the group watching it being streamed, etc.

Bode's got a knack for this. Great.

Muleski

Inactive
Don't know how active people are on Instagram. The number of posts wishing Bode the best, thanking him for what he has meant to the sport, etc. is enormous. Men and women WC skiers, retired and active. FIS, natural ski federations.

A lot of great pics, too! Fun to see!

This is at least some idea of WHY actually announcing his retirement means so much to so many. Might be a bit eye opening for him

Great stuff.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder when we will hear of Julia Mancuso having some prominent air time on NBC at the games.

A little tangent, she did a Live Instagram video of her recent hip surgery procedure. Freezing the nerves so she doesn't feel the pain anymore. She also showed an Xray of hip. Not the prettiest picture.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Knowing your audience (talking about FIS Alpine skiing broadcasts) is imperative to being a good broadcaster, the technical verbiage used on NBC’s Olympic Channel would be much more detailed than on an NBC “basic” channel with a wide range of viewer knowledge. You have to “dummy” things down for the viewer who is just watching the Olympics rather than a PugSkier who is tuned in specifically to watch skiing. The trick is to still use the technical terms, but you have to stop to explain what that term means so you don’t lose the general viewer.

Sadly, very few producers explain this to “analysts”.

Muleski

Inactive
A little tangent, she did a Live Instagram video of her recent hip surgery procedure. Freezing the nerves so she doesn't feel the pain anymore. She also showed an Xray of hip. Not the prettiest picture.

Will not surprise me if we see various "media" that basically confirms what a mess her hip situation is. BTW, Mancuso turns 34 in March. She has been at this a long long time. Under circumstances that existed 10-15 years ago, she would have retired, IMO a couple of years ago. However, it's a business. It's an Olympic year. There are paydays to take advantage of as an "injured" athlete, in her case. I assume that she is being paid by Stockli, by Lange, etc. Those deals change once she officially retires, is dropped of the USST roster, etc.

My best guess is that we'll see a continual roll out of information indicative that she can't ski, right now, at that level. I would bet dollars to donuts that we'll see a lot of her in front of the camera in Korea. He career essentially boils down to the "Big Event Jules" hype, Kiss My Tiara, etc. I have to imagine this will be a good payday for her.

Racing again? Why? Is there any good reason? That seems like the longest of longshots. Most chatter is no way, whatsoever. The whole charade of last season was a bit irritating for those close to this stuff. I think there is zero appetite to repeat it, but not my call, and not close to the day to day. Maybe we'll see her on the start list for Lake Louise, then pulled, and so on an so forth until Korea.

We'll see.

Muleski

Inactive
Knowing your audience (talking about FIS Alpine skiing broadcasts) is imperative to being a good broadcaster, the technical verbiage used on NBC’s Olympic Channel would be much more detailed than on an NBC “basic” channel with a wide range of viewer knowledge. You have to “dummy” things down for the viewer who is just watching the Olympics rather than a PugSkier who is tuned in specifically to watch skiing. The trick is to still use the technical terms, but you have to stop to explain what that term means so you don’t lose the general viewer.

Sadly, very few producers explain this to “analysts”.

Interesting. Sort of assumed that. Thanks. So might be interesting to watch nothehe Olympic Channel, and the prime time NBC coverage to see how Bode handles the two broadcasts. Or is that just not the case.

Thanks for the post!!!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Muleski

Ideally he will be told and adjust to his audience.

TV is kind of a sink or swim industry.

I might mention it to a guy to mention to a guy and help out a bit ;)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
@Muleski

Ideally he will be told and adjust to his audience.

TV is kind of a sink or swim industry.

I might mention it to a guy to mention to a guy and help out a bit ;)

Hey you can teach him how to do the walk n talk and he can give you a ski lesson some time. Win win.

( wonder if he can already do the grumpy guy going for a coffee sting pieces already ;)

Sponsor

Staff online