• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
About time he actually admits it. That whole thing about wanting to comeback last year and ski WC on Bomber ( and Full-Tilt !) was a a marketing play for Bomber, which he has a financial interest in. He either knew Head would say no, or he asked them to say no.

I loved watching him over the years and is one of my favorite racers. He will go down as one of the best racers and did a lot overall for the sport. OF course, he did it in his own way and on his own terms. But , he certainly created interest in ski racing from the non-skiing public. The World Cup tour needs more personalities like him and he is/will be missed

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Interesting, non mainstream outlet for Bode to admit that he's done. He does a lot on In Depth. Just sort of put this out there. Did he ever use the word "retire?"

Classic Bode. Just watched some of the other videos. Pretty interesting.

Wish him well. He's always been one of a kind in so many ways. Pretty much forever.

Thanks for posting this!

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting, non mainstream outlet for Bode to admit that he's done. He does a lot on In Depth. Just sort of put this out there. Did he ever use the word "retire?"

Classic Bode.

Yup, classic Bode. He is not the kind a guy that would ever make some big announcement about "retiring ". He must think why bother and it is not necessary: either I am racing or I am not. This could have the first person to have asked him the question in the past 6 months and he answered it. With saying the R word ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
"Times when I've overreacted, been mean or discourteous..."

Right there with you, Bode!

Wonder if he'll do a free skiing camp eventually ....

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good that he has formalized it and hopefully this might help the USST better focus on some of the upcoming athletes (I won't hold my breath though!). Hopefully he gets hired to do more commentary this year. Between him and Dykester they made a hug contribution last year the races they covered.

Will miss him though, an incredible talent who was still able to remain his own man. Lots of great moments, but for me the memories of him at Vancouver watching his sheer happiness when he won a "full house" of medals was something special!

Here's to Bode! :beercheer:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I raise my glass to a great career! Photo taken by Michael R. at Beaver Creek on Feb 5, 2015 with Red Tail Stadium in background, same day as Bode's crash in the World Championships super-G where he sliced his leg. Afraid I was recreational skiing instead of watching the race.:rolleyes:
ecd34fba_CopyofDSCN4542.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Is this good, bad, or insignificant for Bomber? We all knew he wasn't really going to compete on the amiright???

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Great interview! I always enjoy listening to his perspective & thoughtfulness in what he has to say. (Hmm, he may be the only athlete I would say that about.). So glad to have been able to witness his career & athleticism for almost 20 years. The best to Bode in whatever he does. Let his influence & legend live on for years to come.

The end of an era for sure!
3F74FCFD-50A6-45C2-9788-7541B3E66E0B.jpeg

Thanks for posting.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bode as a ski racer and as a person was a real standout. Some of it was outstanding, some of it was not, some it was out of line, some of it was incredible, and all of it was impossible to ignore. From the time I first heard of his K2 4 accomplishments I thought he might be remarkable He was and he is, in pretty much everything he has done and does on and off slope. Hats off to you Bode!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Okay, I can't help myself. At one point in the first half of the interview, I'm pretty sure the horse in the right stall (behind the interviewer) starts plopping just before the camera cuts away.

Why a barn?

Interesting, I thought, that Bode said he couldn't be a father and train for the World Cup. Thoughts? Do you have to be an absentee parent to be successful in the World Cup? I assume there are fathers in the circuit, but maybe they're not as involved as Bode would like to be.

TS
ZionPow

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I raise my glass to a great career! Photo taken by Michael R. at Beaver Creek on Feb 5, 2015 with Red Tail Stadium in background, same day as Bode's crash in the World Championships super-G where he sliced his leg. Afraid I was recreational skiing instead of watching the race.:rolleyes:
ecd34fba_CopyofDSCN4542.jpeg
I was at the pumphouse section during Bode's crash on that same day. He nailed that run and had the fastest splits until his crash. Sad to see him crash and get hurt but he put it all on the line on that run. Typical Bode!

Muleski

Inactive
Yep,

An incredible, incredible career. Congratulations!!! Chapeau!

I, too, look forward to him on NBC and affiliates doing commentary. He's great.

The general consensus among friends who know him well is that Bode just didn't see any reason to make a big deal of this. Didn't matter to him. Just not be there. What he "misses" on this is that it actual matters to a lot of others. Might matter to Morgan, might matter at some point to his kids. Matters to his fans, and to a whole long list of people who made his entire career possible. Like the list of people who made his whole life possible before he was picked up by the team. Or the entire USST group of people. He had an incredible career, people appreciate it, and would like to celebrate it. As one of our friends put it, "Can you imagine Tom Brady not admitting that he's retired when the time comes?"

Bode is one of a kind, and a real individualist. No new news there. He has always been stubborn and headstrong. Again not new news. But he also even at 40 still does not understand that there are consequences to his actions. He'd probably "gain" a lot more by playing nice, and by letting the USST celebrate his career at Beaver Creek. I think that may be in the works, and may happen. I hope so. I would think that, for example, having the USSA/USST board members on your side as potential sounding boards and mentors might help. Might be very smart. You're not selling out if you play it the right way.

It's interesting. Sometimes you want to box some of the ears of these athletes. This one is simple. Bode has always been a bit greedy. The old joke was that Bode would never, ever spend a dime of his own money. Now the concerns are that he can't spend it fast enough. He feels that the USST was darn lucky to have had him, and that they benefitted greatly from it. The USST no doubt puts his performance on a pedestal, as they should! He was incredible. But he caused plenty of angst along the way, pissed off a lot of people, and cost an awful lot of money to support. He was very high maintenance.

The missing link is that without skiing on the USST, Bode would have had zilch, zip, squat for the income opportunities that he had as a skier. Remember he has a honorary HS degree {again due to his stubborn nature}. Is he bright....yes, he sure is. But he could easily be doing "not much." Appreciating publicly what the sport has meant to him might not be awful.

So we go around in circles on this. Can he just agree that everybody "won?" Some friends and advisors say "announce your retirement and let them celebrate you." Bode says "Why? Doesn't matter to ME?" They say "It matters to a lot of other people". He says "It's my life." And so on. Stubborn.

Probably will not have this issue with Ms. Vonn. HaHa!

I found this interview fascinating as I can think of at least a half dozen situations where I bet he wishes he had a "mulligan." But he's still not all the way there. And he hates the media.
Trusts very few.

He makes very, very unique decisions. Ones which people just shake their heads at. Getting involved with Bomber, and torching a relationship with Head that would have paid him an awful lot of money. Blowing off Kjus, and before that Spyder, to now be a part of Aztech {which industry folks I know say is a non starter.} Essentially throwing money away. He's just one of a kind. He is a big challenge for his agent, I hear.

The horse thing? I have no idea. I know horse people who think he may get burned on this. Thinks he knows it all, and doesn't. He's put a lot of money into it. The interview was filmed in Maryland, at the farm, I believe.

Would be fun to see him ski with his kids at Beaver Creek, and have a big party. That much I know. Chances of that?

I would "bet the farm" that you never see Bode coaching, or doing anything like that on snow. He thinks of the big score these days. I'll be blunt. More than a couple old friends do not like Bode, circa 2017, or his hangers-on. They hope the pendulum swings back the other way a bit. Who knows.

His focus is all about family, and all of these business ideas they fly in and out of his head.

Skiing with four kids, with three mothers, at their ages would be really tough. It's been very hard in the past for some with one in diapers. Many with a single child will have spouse and family in Europe with them. Nyman, Weibrecht.

Regardless of this stuff he had just an amazing career. So much fun to have watched. So many thrills for all of us. So great to root for and cheer for. And he has always done it his way. Always.

You would laugh non stop at some of the young Bode coaching stories that are out there.

Just a classic! I hope the next Bode will be on the WC before too long.

Muleski

Inactive
Is this good, bad, or insignificant for Bomber? We all knew he wasn't really going to compete on the amiright???

I would think it may actually help them, as it's probably going to let all of the focus move to trying to sell their all mountain skis and carvers. Removes the ongoing dialog and chatter about Bomber race skis "Live or Memorex", and doesn't rehash the initial bold statements about Bomber race.

BTW Bomber existed as a brand before the latest ownership and Bode became involved. First skied a Bomber SL ski about 10 years ago. Was,IMO, nothing special. Not so much of a real men's SL.

I wish Bode well with Bomber, even if it means coming out whole.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Okay, I can't help myself. At one point in the first half of the interview, I'm pretty sure the horse in the right stall (behind the interviewer) starts plopping just before the camera cuts away.

Why a barn?

Interesting, I thought, that Bode said he couldn't be a father and train for the World Cup. Thoughts? Do you have to be an absentee parent to be successful in the World Cup? I assume there are fathers in the circuit, but maybe they're not as involved as Bode would like to be.

Can't speak for others but his FOUR kids are getting older now so that may be the more critical time. Seems like a lot of the fathers on the World Cup have newborns or toddlers, I don't think there are many with 10, 5, 3, and 2 year olds!

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Since we love to gossip about Vonn and Miller, etc. I guess my fatherly worry is that he blows through his savings on various schemes and he probably should save the foundations and charities for later... make and bank some money while he's relevant.

Then again if he has so much he can run race horses and drop a million on start ups maybe he can, IDK.