• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I sure am glad some of you talked us into shifting our Colorado trip from the original Dec 1-Feb to Jan 1-Mar when we were planning it last spring. I had made the assumption that Colorado would typically have plenty of snow by early December but this year confirms that's not usually the case. Now we are praying for a very healthy dose for the next month and beyond.

Speaking of snow, can some of you locals give me the lowdown on what to expect travel wise during storms? We bought a new Subi Outback for this trip but aren't going to put snow tires on since we can't use them in Florida or even NC. I grew up in Tahoe/Mammoth so I have a lot of experience driving in snow but I'm coming off of a 25 year hiatus from skiing/snow driving other than a few days when we'd get several inches here and there at our place in NC.

So I understand I70 becomes a $hi+show every time it snows a decent amount so what is the insider Beta for getting to the resorts to get some fresh lines when it's dumping or snowed thru the night? We are staying in Georgetown with passes at WP, Copper and Loveland. My thoughts are that I'll take advantage of the proximity and great terrain at Luv and use that as my go-to storm spot but I'm sure I'll be effected by any chaos near the tunnel regardless so what is the best plan of attack for getting from Gtown to Luv under adverse conditions? How early should I leave to beat the likely accident producing congestion both to and from? I figure CDOT will stay on top of I70 but what about the roads in Gtown to be able to get to I70...are those cleared through out the night? Once on I70, how much gnarlier is traffic and conditions going over the pass and on to Copper if I want to mix it up or when I don't want to brave Luv's lifts when it's howling? Is Berthoud even worth considering in those conditions (from my limited experience skiing WP years ago I'm thinking it would be #3 on that list as a storm mountain)? What weather/road apps do you recommend for staying on top of conditions? The wife and kids will be fair weather skiers so I'll cherry pick the bluebird days for them and partake of the good stuff myself which makes life a lot easier logistically in case I get caught up in the chaos.

Thanks and I can't wait to finally hang up my MTB and kayaks for my skis!

BTW- I figure if Nay is out playing in Utah then I haven't missed too much so far!

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I sure am glad some of you talked us into shifting our Colorado trip from the original Dec 1-Feb to Jan 1-Mar when we were planning it last spring. I had made the assumption that Colorado would typically have plenty of snow by early December but this year confirms that's not usually the case. Now we are praying for a very healthy dose for the next month and beyond.

Speaking of snow, can some of you locals give me the lowdown on what to expect travel wise during storms? We bought a new Subi Outback for this trip but aren't going to put snow tires on since we can't use them in Florida or even NC. I grew up in Tahoe/Mammoth so I have a lot of experience driving in snow but I'm coming off of a 25 year hiatus from skiing/snow driving other than a few days when we'd get several inches here and there at our place in NC.

So I understand I70 becomes a $hi+show every time it snows a decent amount so what is the insider Beta for getting to the resorts to get some fresh lines when it's dumping or snowed thru the night? We are staying in Georgetown with passes at WP, Copper and Loveland. My thoughts are that I'll take advantage of the proximity and great terrain at Luv and use that as my go-to storm spot but I'm sure I'll be effected by any chaos near the tunnel regardless so what is the best plan of attack for getting from Gtown to Luv under adverse conditions? How early should I leave to beat the likely accident producing congestion both to and from? I figure CDOT will stay on top of I70 but what about the roads in Gtown to be able to get to I70...are those cleared through out the night? Once on I70, how much gnarlier is traffic and conditions going over the pass and on to Copper if I want to mix it up or when I don't want to brave Luv's lifts when it's howling? Is Berthoud even worth considering in those conditions (from my limited experience skiing WP years ago I'm thinking it would be #3 on that list as a storm mountain)? What weather/road apps do you recommend for staying on top of conditions? The wife and kids will be fair weather skiers so I'll cherry pick the bluebird days for them and partake of the good stuff myself which makes life a lot easier logistically in case I get caught up in the chaos.
Is your Outback AWD? If so, I think you'll be ok getting onto I-70 from Georgetown as it is right there off the exit to the interstate. As for driving in a storm, I think I would wait til storm finishes in order to let CDOT clear the road before heading out. It would be safest then to make the short trek to Luv and skip the more risky jaunts thru the tunnel to Copper or over Berthoud Pass. You should still be able to get fresh tracks at Luv since the trip is so short. If the storm clears and they've had enough time to scrape the roads, then heading to Copper or WP. Both of those places you'd want to be at before the storm if your goal is to have untracked powder.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Is your Outback AWD?

All Outbacks are AWD.

If there's a storm, it's possible there will be chain law in effect. Even with AWD, you may be required to use chains to be legal. Technically, they won't fine you unless you're in an accident - but please don't be That Guy who doesn't equip properly and causes a backup for everyone else. There's nothing like driving uphill and seeing someone slowly lose traction and drift back toward you. Across lanes.

Georgetown to Luv is pretty short, but you need to take into account that in storms, Loveland Pass is closed. This means hourly tunnel closures while they route Hazmat through the tunnel. You won't be going through the tunnel, but you'll still be affected by the backup.

What specifically this means about timing? That, I'm not sure. Just some considerations. There is very rarely ice to deal with, just snow and crud and other vehicles.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So I understand I70 becomes a $hi+show every time it snows a decent amount so what is the insider Beta for getting to the resorts to get some fresh lines when it's dumping or snowed thru the night? We are staying in Georgetown with passes at WP, Copper and Loveland.

Here is the 1 problem you might notice fairly early on. The hill coming out of Georgetown can be problematic for some. It manages to get the road closed at Georgetown. If you can get up the hill to the next exit then you have an alternative at least for a few miles and you can get close to Loveland. The caveat to the alternative is the probable need for snow tires. An alternative to not getting snow tires would be good quality chains. I would read the owners manual and what the deal is with your new Outback. I wouldn't try ranking which resorts you might ski. There will be days that going to WP/MJ might absolutely be the best place to go. It might be snowing at Luv or Copper and Berthoud Pass will be sunny.

Here is a good primer that just as easily could have been named "Welcome to the Shit Show"

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/inte...05-in-silverthorne-a-highly-dangerous-ballet/

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-24_9-11-44.png
    upload_2017-11-24_9-11-44.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 2

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Is Berthoud even worth considering in those conditions (from my limited experience skiing WP years ago I'm thinking it would be #3 on that list as a storm mountain)?
Not so much, since the Berthoud ski area no longer exists.
But there is plenty of backcountry off the pass, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Here is the 1 problem you might notice fairly early on. The hill coming out of Georgetown can be problematic for some. It manages to get the road closed at Georgetown. If you can get up the hill to the next exit then you have an alternative at least for a few miles and you can get close to Loveland. The caveat to the alternative is the probable need for snow tires. An alternative to not getting snow tires would be good quality chains. I would read the owners manual and what the deal is with your new Outback. I wouldn't try ranking which resorts you might ski. There will be days that going to WP/MJ might absolutely be the best place to go. It might be snowing at Luv or Copper and Berthoud Pass will be sunny.

Here is a good primer that just as easily could have been named "Welcome to the Shit Show"

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/inte...05-in-silverthorne-a-highly-dangerous-ballet/
That’s a great article.
The best advice is to be prepared with a well-equipped and well-maintained vehicle, keep an eye on the weather, leave early, and take your time.
It’s not rocket science

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@surfandski You should be good with your Outback with decent All-Season Tires. Just take it really easy and leave plenty of space for braking. Snow tires provide MUCH shorter braking and safer handling overall but there are some good all-season tires out there and some really bad ones on snow. Check out other threads on the subject. There is plenty of info on specific tire models etc.

Georgetown is pretty close to Loveland and because Loveland is on the east side of the tunnel it rarely has issues with access. Traffic backs up a LONG distances before the Loveland exit when LL pass is closed though so you might have to deal with that. From G Town there is a close to 2,000 Feet climb to the Loveland Exit so its close but the elevation change is significant so keep that in mind as well.

When Loveland has most of its terrain open it is a great ski playground with very little crowds. It wont take much more snow for them to open a significant amount of terrain from here on out so its looking good.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That’s a great article.
The best advice is to be prepared with a well-equipped and well-maintained vehicle, keep an eye on the weather, leave early, and take your time.
It’s not rocket science

I've never had to stay overnight, but I also recommend bringing water, snacks, and blankets/sleeping bags - just in case.

@surfandski You should be good with your Outback with decent All-Season Tires. Just take it really easy and leave plenty of space for braking. Snow tires provide MUCH shorter braking and safer handling overall but there are some good all-season tires out there and some really bad ones on snow. Check out other threads on the subject. There is plenty of info on specific tire models etc.

Oh hey! @surfandski - On a bit of snow, I tested the stock tires on this year's Outback. TERRIBLE traction.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
On the off chance anyone actually skis Epic - I'll be at Breck Sunday morning.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
A few too many newbies, but the skiing is good and all days on the mountain are good.

DC5E96EC-2213-4566-B5A4-2A9B91D3011B.jpeg

The boy and friend headed for a park lap.

6B343EEA-4867-488B-ACC4-6A9CE78AC275.jpeg

@surfandski the only thing you need to know is they close I-70 at Goergetown, including the westbound on ramp. So you are either on one side of that gate or the other. It isn’t GTown traffic that closes I-70.

As for Copper v. Winter Park on a storm day, Copper is far less conservative with lift closures, but WP’s geography means Jane in particular tends to get nuked it certain cycles.

Personally, I’d just ski Chair 1 @ Luv on a big day, but there’s nothing sketchy about I-70. You just have to be willing to deal with the closures if you are going to go through the tunnel on a storm day.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Georgetown is pretty close to Loveland and because Loveland is on the east side of the tunnel it rarely has issues with access. Traffic backs up a LONG distances before the Loveland exit when LL pass is closed though so you might have to deal with that. From G Town there is a close to 2,000 Feet climb to the Loveland Exit so its close but the elevation change is significant so keep that in mind as well.

When Loveland has most of its terrain open it is a great ski playground with very little crowds. It wont take much more snow for them to open a significant amount of terrain from here on out so its looking good.

I like this advice.

And I like your current plan, @surfandski . (Wonderful kayak fun there!!!!!!)

You may not be able to do what I do on a full on powder day, but it is basically to go very early. Pass closures and tunnel delays don't back up that early anywhere near as much, almost never. And the road and traffic are much better. On a powder day I'm usually one of the first dozen into the Loveland lot. Maybe first half-dozen.

To give you an idea of timing, I often plan to arrive at the area on blizzard days a half hour or more earlier than on bluebird days. And I allow more time for driving: I want to be in front of that "powder hound" surge up from Denver, you see - that I am a part of. From Georgetown you could do this more easily than I.

To recap, I agree with the folks who mostly exclude WP/MJ on a powder day, unless you are big on big bumpfields. Among other reasons, their lifts usually close with wind, whereas Copper and Loveland have this happen much less, on less critical terrain. I hit WP/MJ on low wind days, the days after, or on old snow days more, with good success.

Copper is the most sheltered, on a real blower day, from high winds. (But so often driving back east stalls up at the tunnel, so you have to leave the area early, with only partial success rates.)

Loveland, though, is my favorite on high snow falling days when the wind isn't too bad: so much untouched terrain, fewer skiers, easier drive. And the day after!

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh hey! @surfandski - On a bit of snow, I tested the stock tires on this year's Outback. TERRIBLE traction.

That's not good news! I'm going to have to investigate the options on the outback. I hate putting on chains but have no problem buying some for the gnarly days just to be safe. Snow tires would be a bit more of a hassle logistically since unlike chains, they don't stow easily for the drive back to Florida. Maybe I can find a used set that fit our Outback and then sell them cheap at the end of the season.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like this advice.

And I like your current plan, @surfandski . (Wonderful kayak fun there!!!!!!)

You may not be able to do what I do on a full on powder day, but it is basically to go very early. Pass closures and tunnel delays don't back up that early anywhere near as much, almost never. And the road and traffic are much better. On a powder day I'm usually one of the first dozen into the Loveland lot. Maybe first half-dozen.

To give you an idea of timing, I often plan to arrive at the area on blizzard days a half hour or more earlier than on bluebird days. And I allow more time for driving: I want to be in front of that "powder hound" surge up from Denver, you see - that I am a part of. From Georgetown you could do this more easily than I.

To recap, I agree with the folks who mostly exclude WP/MJ on a powder day, unless you are big on big bumpfields. Among other reasons, their lifts usually close with wind, whereas Copper and Loveland have this happen much less, on less critical terrain. I hit WP/MJ on low wind days, the days after, or on old snow days more, with good success.

Copper is the most sheltered, on a real blower day, from high winds. (But so often driving back east stalls up at the tunnel, so you have to leave the area early, with only partial success rates.)

Loveland, though, is my favorite on high snow falling days when the wind isn't too bad: so much untouched terrain, fewer skiers, easier drive. And the day after!

I'm not in college anymore but it wouldn't be the first time I've spent the night in a down bag with the driver seat reclined. Like I said, the wife and kids will be fair weather skiers so the powder days are all mine which means I have permission to take drastic measures to get there early. So ski otter, on a blizzard day, what time are you usually passing thru Georgetown in route to Loveland? My dad always taught me to keep an emergency bag full of essentials in the car whenever heading out into a storm so I'll be prepared in that sense.

I guess my question is, is it usually the conditions or a traffic accident that causes the closure at Gtown? If I leave early enough will I usually avoid the closure because I'm ahead of the knucklehead who slides out and causes the closure or are there certain snow accumulation thresholds at which CDOT shuts it down regardless of the time of night? Short of a spontaneous accident, is there any website or app that gives a little notice that I70 will soon be shutdown? If so I could try to monitor it and get ahead of the closure if I'm properly equipped (I'm reading conflicting info on whether you can run chains on an outback).

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
That's not good news! I'm going to have to investigate the options on the outback. I hate putting on chains but have no problem buying some for the gnarly days just to be safe. Snow tires would be a bit more of a hassle logistically since unlike chains, they don't stow easily for the drive back to Florida. Maybe I can find a used set that fit our Outback and then sell them cheap at the end of the season.

Chains are useless on i70 since most of the time you are going to be driving much faster (even on snow) than the 25-35mph max speed that you should never exceed with chains on. They might be quite useful to get up and over loveland pass though but honestly I have never seen a Subbie with chains on. Only on FrontWD vehicles. Don't bother. i70 can be nasty due to all the truck and car traffic. Sometimes CDOT will close i70 all the way east to Empire. Usually because of an accident, no prior notice. It takes about 2-3 in/hr snowfall rates to just about guarantee a closure. So its all about timing. People in Colorado drive pretty fast on snow. A lot have snow tires on or AT tires (trucks) so if you dont, you might feel overwhelmed. Stay to the right and take it easy if you are on stock all seasons during a storm.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Well, this was a single data point. Maybe the internet disagrees. It's disconcerting to expect to stop at an intersection, but keep going instead. Granted, I can't really compare to a typical all season. I swap tires early and leave them on through Mother's Day.

Chains are useless on i70 since most of the time you are going to be driving much faster (even on snow) than the 25-35mph max speed that you should never exceed with chains on.

Maybe, but chain law still exists.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Chains are useless on i70 since most of the time you are going to be driving much faster (even on snow) than the 25-35mph max speed that you should never exceed with chains on. They might be quite useful to get up and over loveland pass though but honestly I have never seen a Subbie with chains on. Only on FrontWD vehicles. Don't bother. i70 can be nasty due to all the truck and car traffic. Sometimes CDOT will close i70 all the way east to Empire. Usually because of an accident, no prior notice. It takes about 2-3 in/hr snowfall rates to just about guarantee a closure. So its all about timing. People in Colorado drive pretty fast on snow. A lot have snow tires on or AT tires (trucks) so if you dont, you might feel overwhelmed. Stay to the right and take it easy if you are on stock all seasons during a storm.
What about the wheel socks?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January