• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's not good news! I'm going to have to investigate the options on the outback. I hate putting on chains but have no problem buying some for the gnarly days just to be safe. Snow tires would be a bit more of a hassle logistically since unlike chains, they don't stow easily for the drive back to Florida. Maybe I can find a used set that fit our Outback and then sell them cheap at the end of the season.

You might want to check out Autosocks rather than chains. Much easier to use than chains if you think you might only have occasional usage. And they are approved in Colorado to meet chain laws.

They will wear out faster and have similar speed issues to chains. But you won't have one just snap and the ride is smoother/quieter.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's not good news! I'm going to have to investigate the options on the outback. I hate putting on chains but have no problem buying some for the gnarly days just to be safe. Snow tires would be a bit more of a hassle logistically since unlike chains, they don't stow easily for the drive back to Florida. Maybe I can find a used set that fit our Outback and then sell them cheap at the end of the season.
I think you are over thinking things. Traffic on i70 if it snows is very likely. If so, go slow, leave bigger gaps and plan on extra travel time.

But the odds of conditions that make Georgetown impassable or require chains on a 4x4 are less than 1%.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
You might want to check out Autosocks rather than chains. Much easier to use than chains if you think you might only have occasional usage. And they are approved in Colorado to meet chain laws.

They will wear out faster and have similar speed issues to chains. But you won't have one just snap and the ride is smoother/quieter.

Yep, I just came across those. They look cheesy but they get good reviews and are really cheap so I think I'll get some just in case.

This is my first year with 124mm underfoot skis in the quiver so I'm going to do anything I can to put some miles on them.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, I just came across those. They look cheesy but they get good reviews and are really cheap so I think I'll get some just in case.

This is my first year with 124mm underfoot skis in the quiver so I'm going to do anything I can to put some miles on them.

I have Autosocks and have used them a couple of times. I think they're pretty robust for what they are, and go on and off very easily. They are a bit messy when you take them off though, if you've hit anything that's not clean snow/ice.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
From CDOT:

"
Are passenger cars required to have chains in Colorado?
Passenger cars are not required to have chains in their car. On rare occasions road conditions may be so severe that law enforcement requires all vehicles use chains but occurrences are somewhat rare.

More common is the requirement for all vehicles to have adequate snow tires or tire chains. Adequate snow tires are defined as tires marked M/S (mud/snow) or studded snow tires with tread depth of 1/8th inch or greater. Four wheel drive engaged is considered an alternative to adequate snow tires or chains for passenger vehicles. When chain laws for semi-trucks are in place, it should be assumed passenger cars are required to have adequate snow tires in those locations.

Regardless of existing or reported conditions, CDOT highly recommends that all vehicles have tires suitable for traveling Colorado roadways in winter."

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of snow, can some of you locals give me the lowdown on what to expect travel wise during storms? We bought a new Subi Outback for this trip but aren't going to put snow tires on since we can't use them in Florida or even NC. I grew up in Tahoe/Mammoth so I have a lot of experience driving in snow but I'm coming off of a 25 year hiatus from skiing/snow driving other than a few days when we'd get several inches here and there at our place in NC.

This is not that complicated!

What tires came on the Outback? If they are good in snow, you'll do great on I-70. If they are not, you'll be screwed, so swap them out for all-seasons that do well in snow. Easy.

Last edited:
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yea, just buy a good set of all weather tires, or buy a used set of winter tires locally off Craigslist once you get here. They can be had for under $300 and a bargain brand is fine. I would not plan to carry anything I had to install on the side of the road, because that’s how you get killed.

The M+S 1/8” tread standard is what is in effect when the road signs say “passenger vehicle traction laws in effect”. Since almost all tires meet that standard it is totally useless.

CDOT does have a higher level standard (its technically something like Code 16 instead of the usual Code 15), but I-70 is long closed by then, the first domino to fall usually an 18 wheeler trying to skirt commercial vehicle chain laws and then the FWD cars go and closure.

If I was living in Georgetown, and it was a major storm day, I’d leave at around 7, head straight to Luv, park in the first row, and then catch first chair every time. That is a largely fail proof plan that just means you have morning coffee at Luv. What’s not to Luv?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If I was living in Georgetown, and it was a major storm day, I’d leave at around 7, head straight to Luv, park in the first row, and then catch first chair every time. That is a largely fail proof plan that just means you have morning coffee at Luv. What’s not to Luv?

Also, at that altitude, the shorter walk to the lift is a definite benefit.

Reactions: nay

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's about right. If you do that, on a heavy powder day with snow falling as you drive, you'll find me in the parking lot around the same time, hopefully a bit earlier (10-25 minutes), if the drive has gone well. :)

But then, I have to allow a bigger margin for error coming from Denver, because so many things can go wrong on I-70 long before I get to Georgetown, especially near Morrison, with back up behind a row of snowplows, for instance.

But if you take Nay's starting time as a place to start and then modify it as needed from your own experience - which may happen - you'll be fine.

Last edited:

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yea, just buy a good set of all weather tires, or buy a used set of winter tires locally off Craigslist once you get here. They can be had for under $300 and a bargain brand is fine. I would not plan to carry anything I had to install on the side of the road, because that’s how you get killed.

The M+S 1/8” tread standard is what is in effect when the road signs say “passenger vehicle traction laws in effect”. Since almost all tires meet that standard it is totally useless.

CDOT does have a higher level standard (its technically something like Code 16 instead of the usual Code 15), but I-70 is long closed by then, the first domino to fall usually an 18 wheeler trying to skirt commercial vehicle chain laws and then the FWD cars go and closure.

Piece of cake! It will be hard for me to wait until 7 if it's dumping and I rarely leave home without a full thermos of coffee (total coffee snob) so I'll be set there. I'll have to give a little more thought and research to the tire situation though. I've been gone all day so I haven't even looked at the tires on our Outback to see what's on it but I'm betting the ones that ship to the southern states don't have good all seasons and we bought this one in Miami which is about as far away from snow country as you can get. I'll research and consider some good all season tires IF there are some that are BOTH great in the snow, and still hold their own the other 9 months, but if I can really pick up a decent used set of snows in Denver for a few hundred that may be the better option for the few months we are there.

I'm glad I brought this up when I did so I have some time to figure it out. When I was driving in the Sierras back when I was a poor high school and college kid I never gave a thought to tires and managed to make it pretty much anywhere on totally bald tires but that was in a CJ7 and I was "invincible" at the time.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's about right. If you do that, on a heavy powder day with snow falling as you drive, you'll find me in the parking lot around the same time, hopefully a bit earlier (10-25 minutes), if the drive has gone well. :)

But then, I have to allow a bigger margin for error coming from Denver, because so many things can go wrong on I-70 long before I get to Georgetown, especially near Morrison, with back up behind a row of snowplows, for instance.

But if you take Nay's starting time as a place to start and then modify it as needed from your own experience - which may happen - you'll be fine.

I'm looking forward to making some turns with you and it will be good to have someone to BS with while waiting for the lifts to spin!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would not plan to carry anything I had to install on the side of the road, because that’s how you get killed.
Yes!

Additionally, installed traction devices are not practical on I-70. Between Denver and the tunnel, there are four sections where you would likely need them installed, maybe 20% of the distance. The other 80% you don't want them as the speeds will be higher than the max speed for your traction device. So you would either need to a) take them on and off multiple times, or b) drive very slowly with the big rigs and destroy your traction devices on bare pavement.

Chains just don't make sense on I-70 for passenger vehicles. You need good tires!

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@surfandski here’s the thread we’ve had going on hybrid tires, with that distinction being “all weather” (traction focused) vs. “all season” (cheap + maximum treadlife) and in more aggressive forms making. significant nods to offroad capability.

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/hybrids-the-new-winter-tire.2889/page-2#post-65899

That link should drop you to the discussion of more passenger car oriented options vs. the truck tires. This type of tire would be great to drive from FL to CO and back and perform for you while you are here. The Michelin LTX series is probably ideal, but I’ve seen up the BFG ko2 in some midsize AWD wagons.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...Chains just don't make sense on I-70 for passenger vehicles. You need good tires!

All true. I assumed that the chain talk was only for when they are required, which is very rare as I understand it. And if they're required, you're not going anywhere fast or on bare pavement I'd think.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@surfandski here’s the thread we’ve had going on hybrid tires, with that distinction being “all weather” (traction focused) vs. “all season” (cheap + maximum treadlife) and in more aggressive forms making. significant nods to offroad capability.

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/hybrids-the-new-winter-tire.2889/page-2#post-65899

That link should drop you to the discussion of more passenger car oriented options vs. the truck tires. This type of tire would be great to drive from FL to CO and back and perform for you while you are here. The Michelin LTX series is probably ideal, but I’ve seen up the BFG ko2 in some midsize AWD wagons.

To me, the two tires mentioned are at the top of the heap, the BFG ko2 especially for 4x4s and trucks, but I'd love it on my brother's AWD Subie Outback, IF there's a version that fits it.

On Nay's advice I got the BF Goodrich ko2s for my Xterra 4x4, and they are the best tires I've ever owned, both for winter skiing and mountain dirt road/peak hiking in summer. I seem to be like a tank with those things, when in four wheel drive. (Though I'll still drive cautiously - I've had too many things happen over the years.)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. I was told by a ski patroller that Loveland is planning to open the Ptarmigan lift and run on Friday, God willing.

Loveland today, Sunday, was less crowded early than last Friday, which also had relatively few folks. (tho later more folks showed up today.)

I guess it was a Thanksgiving travel day. The snow and weather were swell. Only a few race clubs remained.

Piece of cake! It will be hard for me to wait until 7 if it's dumping and I rarely leave home without a full thermos of coffee (total coffee snob) so I'll be set there. ....

If, like me, you feel that early morning impatience on a powder day, you could just leave fifteen minutes earlier and be among the first into the parking lot - newspaper, a good book or a smart device in hand for the lodge. (Or twittle your thumbs and drool in the lodge, maybe, like me.)

@surfandski , this morning I timed myself to different milestones along the way to Loveland, on a much lighter than average traffic day. Georgetown to Loveland took about 12-14 minutes, so between 15 and 25 minutes might be what you'd face on a "good drive" blizzarding powder day. Going 15 minutes earlier would get you there before me on such days perhaps a bit more than half the time, maybe.

And you'd become real well known to, and friendly with, the Loveland parking lot employees, very quickly!