• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your best tips for somewhat newbie racers

James

Out There
Instructor
Doing edges yourself gives you a different appreciation for your skis. They’re not just things.

I just read through the whole thread and am amazed at the restraint shown. Very disappointed no one recommended a tuning machine. Tempted to report this thread.

Hey with a Ford Lightning or Cybertruck one can now do everything in the bed of their truck. Plus espresso machine, pa system, blender, heater.

TS
D

deadheadskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Perhaps you should ask for advice in the parking lot, and not listen to people here, some with coaching and tech experience from all over the US and Europe all the way up to the WC? I’d say what many on here have said still hold if you want to give yourself a better experience and make the most of your racing. I totally get that it is the absolute lowest rung of ambitions in your beer legue over there, but you need healthy sharp edges. That’s crucial even at U10 level racing.

You and others are taking me not being receptive of your suggestions as an assault on your level of expertise on the subject. That's not my intention. Further you and others are being rather condescending about my lack of commitment to doing it your way.

Let's put this in another way.

Hey, I saw some guy sprinkle something on his burger he was grilling in the parking lot. Didn't ask him, but do any of you all do something like that? I know some of you have been professional chefs for a long time. I'd like a tastier burger.

No! How come you don't go to Pat LaFreidas Butcher and get a proper steak, then at home you throw it in your sous vide machine for 24 hours. Take it out an hour before dinner and let it rest for twenty minutes, then sear it in cast iron. The best!!

Guys, obviously I love a perfectly cooked steak, I pay good money and get one twice a year. But I don't have that equipment, time or desire to do that on my own. I just want your simple trick for a tastier burger in the parking lot before I go skiing.

What do you mean you don't have the time? How can you trust the guy cooking that steak for you? Same chef both times? What do you mean you won't go buy the proper cooking equipment? How can you have a serious commitment to beef if all you're going to do is grill a burger in the parking lot?

Sorry for wasting your time chefs.

Everyone else who offered practical advice for my bbqing, thank you!

I'm going to bow out of this discussion. I'm apparently not serious enough about my racing for some of you.

Hope you all ski fast and get great results this season ! Racing is really fun, no matter how serious you are or are not about it. Remember that.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You and others are taking me not being receptive of your suggestions as an assault on your level of expertise on the subject. That's not my intention. Further you and others are being rather condescending about my lack of commitment to doing it your way.

Let's put this in another way.

Hey, I saw some guy sprinkle something on his burger he was grilling in the parking lot. Didn't ask him, but do any of you all do something like that? I know some of you have been professional chefs for a long time. I'd like a tastier burger.

No! How come you don't go to Pat LaFreidas Butcher and get a proper steak, then at home you throw it in your sous vide machine for 24 hours. Take it out an hour before dinner and let it rest for twenty minutes, then sear it in cast iron. The best!!

Guys, obviously I love a perfectly cooked steak, I pay good money and get one twice a year. But I don't have that equipment, time or desire to do that on my own. I just want your simple trick for a tastier burger in the parking lot before I go skiing.

What do you mean you don't have the time? How can you trust the guy cooking that steak for you? Same chef both times? What do you mean you won't go buy the proper cooking equipment? How can you have a serious commitment to beef if all you're going to do is grill a burger in the parking lot?

Sorry for wasting your time chefs.

Everyone else who offered practical advice for my bbqing, thank you!

I'm going to bow out of this discussion. I'm apparently not serious enough about my racing for some of you.

Hope you all ski fast and get great results this season ! Racing is really fun, no matter how serious you are or are not about it. Remember that.
I'm behind you, deadhead. Great post there. Don't write us all off. :beercheer:

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
@deadheadskier Here are my two cents. We have have three kids: an 8-year-old, a 4-year-old, and a 2-month-old. We have more than 10 pairs of skis in our home. I have a job, my wife has a job, our kids have after school activities 5 days a week, and we ski with kids Saturdays and Sundays. Not a lot of free time.

And yet, probably the best investment that I have made when it comes to skiing is this: https://verdonkracing.com/collections/snow-glide-machines/products/af-c

Driving to our local shop and back to drop off 5 pairs of skis takes close to an hour (loading the skis in the car, driving 15 minutes one way, unloading the skis, driving back). Picking the skis up takes one hour as well. That's two hours total.

Doing the edges on 5 pairs of skis with Snowglide takes less than 30 minutes (assuming that I do it regularly and don't have to do anything major). Waxing takes more time, but I don't need to do it particularly often. By doing routine ski tunes myself, I actually save time (and, in the long run, money, too). I also don't depend on the local shop turnaround time (which can vary between a couple of days and a week).

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
If your need to slow down to make a gate it is better to do it above rather than below the gate. This is such a simple concept but it sure makes sense to me.

What do our experts think of this?

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
By doing routine ski tunes myself, I actually save time (and, in the long run, money, too). I also don't depend on the local shop turnaround time (which can vary between a couple of days and a week).
Some people like to tune themselves and some don’t. Nothing wrong with either option. Many race-centric shops offer race season tuning packages including overnight turnaround services. Is that more expensive than doing it yourself? Almost certainly, but whether it’s worth it is an individual judgment call.

BTWilliams

BTWilliams
Skier
Ski and drill outside the course, to improve technique. Build strength in the gym. Your strength and technique will dictate what tactics you can handle in a course. Practice tactics when you’re in a course. Get proper racing boots that is properly fitted to you.

100% yes yes yes.

Running gates all the time can actually be counterproductive unless your technique is already at a high level. Running in gates will expose your flaws. Do not try to work on technique in the course. Coaches that try to get skiers to work on technique drive me nuts. It is 100% unrealistic. About the only thing you can think of while running gates is where to turn, or gate specific techniques such as learning to cross block and shin.

When the coach tells you what you are doing wrong, technique wise, file that away in your memory for later. Later...when you go free ski, recall what the coaches told you about your technique, and work on that free skiing. Fix it and build reps. Once you develop the ability to do it right, that is only the start. Then you have to do it right thousands of times to ingrain the correct motion patterns.

Finally get someone to film you. Become friends with someone of a similar level, and coach and film each other. How you think you are skiing, and what the camera shows are never the same! You do not need to be a certified coach to coach each other effectively.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If your need to slow down to make a gate it is better to do it above rather than below the gate. This is such a simple concept but it sure makes sense to me.

I know a few folks that really like Ski Dad and definitely feel his Base Skiing is right on target. Me being out last season (when this all came out), I'm still trying to open my mind and come around to what he's laying down. I do like how he structures this concept of Base Skiing. Some of his skiing I like, other parts not so much. So for me, the jury is still out.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier

He has a lot of good info in his presentation. Good skier. As you point out Ted, if you have to loose speed somewhere in a course, it’s better to do it where you can regain speed again more easily. Just like a small mistake in a steep section isn’t as disastrous as it would be in a flat section, it is better to speed check before you head into the fall line than after you turn out of it.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
100% yes yes yes.

Running gates all the time can actually be counterproductive unless your technique is already at a high level. Running in gates will expose your flaws. Do not try to work on technique in the course. Coaches that try to get skiers to work on technique drive me nuts. It is 100% unrealistic. About the only thing you can think of while running gates is where to turn, or gate specific techniques such as learning to cross block and shin.

When the coach tells you what you are doing wrong, technique wise, file that away in your memory for later. Later...when you go free ski, recall what the coaches told you about your technique, and work on that free skiing. Fix it and build reps. Once you develop the ability to do it right, that is only the start. Then you have to do it right thousands of times to ingrain the correct motion patterns.

Finally get someone to film you. Become friends with someone of a similar level, and coach and film each other. How you think you are skiing, and what the camera shows are never the same! You do not need to be a certified coach to coach each other effectively.

Video is a very good suggestion if you can buddy up with someone.

TS
D

deadheadskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyone attending the Masters GS Camp at Mt Snow tomorrow? I'll be there. Delayed and flipped start. Classroom at 10, race training afternoon. Video analysis 3-4

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone attending the Masters GS Camp at Mt Snow tomorrow? I'll be there. Delayed and flipped start. Classroom at 10, race training afternoon. Video analysis 3-4
Everybody there gonna be like, "Dude, you're a great skier but you gotta learn to tune." :roflmao:

TS
D

deadheadskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Everybody there gonna be like, "Dude, you're a great skier but you gotta learn to tune." :roflmao:

Funny you mention it. Part of the camp was a 90 minute presentation by Swix on race ski prep. It was great. And you could buy all the stuff too. I got the $600 EVO thing with a couple discs, the $300 wax roller, extra tray and a bunch of wax, an Iron for use with the hard wax only, scrapers, an assortment of files and stones, brushes and the gloves.

Maybe next paycheck I'll finally get that sous vide machine I'm after

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny you mention it. Part of the camp was a 90 minute presentation by Swix on race ski prep. It was great. And you could buy all the stuff too. I got the $600 EVO thing with a couple discs, the $300 wax roller, extra tray and a bunch of wax, an Iron for use with the hard wax only, scrapers, an assortment of files and stones, brushes and the gloves.

Be sure to wear a good respirator when using the EVO tuner and when waxing! The particulates from edge tuning and the vapors from waxing are more than a wee bit toxic.

A good N95 (proper NIOSH) should work a treat for this to start.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I got the $600 EVO thing with a couple discs, the $300 wax roller, extra tray and a bunch of wax, an Iron for use with the hard wax only, scrapers, an assortment of files and stones, brushes and the gloves.
Weren’t you the guy who only a couple of days ago was saying that you didn’t have time to tune yourself? Now you’re dropping $1500 on equipment? Must have been a good sales pitch.

TS
D

deadheadskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
That was mentioned in the presentation. I work in healthcare and have free access to as many N95s as I need. So, I'm good there.

But I was also totally joking. ;). I didn't buy any of that stuff.

It's a heckuva skill and I admire people committed to the craft for their own gear, but it's just not for me right now. Maybe some day but not today.

Sponsor

Staff online