• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your best tips for somewhat newbie racers

TS
D

deadheadskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
So here's a fun one that you seasoned Tombas can laugh at me for. Or perhaps it's happened to you.

Last night we were running a very flat course due to soft conditions the race director thought was unsafe for setting a course on the steeper trails we normally run. He really wanted to cancel it all together the snow was so bad.

So, I took a very aggressive and straight line. I hit a gate with my left shoulder and hit it way harder than I intended to. As I'm sure folks know, when you hit a gate it kinda twists. Well somehow it twisted so hard and fast the pole on the side I didn't hit whipped around and absolutely nailed me in the back. Not sure how I didn't clear the gate before it hit me, but it hit like a baseball bat.
PXL_20240111_123432767.jpg
Hurt like a hell and this is the welt I found on my back this morning.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So here's a fun one that you seasoned Tombas can laugh at me for. Or perhaps it's happened to you.

Last night we were running a very flat course due to soft conditions the race director thought was unsafe for setting a course on the steeper trails we normally run. He really wanted to cancel it all together the snow was so bad.

So, I took a very aggressive and straight line. I hit a gate with my left shoulder and hit it way harder than I intended to. As I'm sure folks know, when you hit a gate it kinda twists. Well somehow it twisted so hard and fast the pole on the side I didn't hit whipped around and absolutely nailed me in the back. Not sure how I didn't clear the gate before it hit me, but it hit like a baseball bat. View attachment 221131 Hurt like a hell and this is the welt I found on my back this morning.

Been there, done that more than a few times over the years. Shoulder hit seems to bring gate around quicker and closer than a hip touch. Angulation helps.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier

So, I took a very aggressive and straight line. I hit a gate with my left shoulder and hit it way harder than I intended to. As I'm sure folks know, when you hit a gate it kinda twists. Well somehow it twisted so hard and fast the pole on the side I didn't hit whipped around and absolutely nailed me in the back. Not sure how I didn't clear the gate before it hit me, but it hit like a baseball bat. View attachment 221131 Hurt like a hell and this is the welt I found on my back this morning.
Do you wear a back protector?

late4gates

Pride comes before a fall.
Skier
Well that's better than getting welts on the butt. Try taking that home to your wife. "Honest, sweetheart, it was a slalom gate". Still don't know how I managed it, but it was definitely a yard sale.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
FWIW, you can learn a ton about carving and body position outside of the gates. Gates are about timing, but you can develop the technique to reach high edge angles outside of the course.

When you aren't in gates, ski with purpose. Play around with pushing your carving harder with higher angles and using the flex of the ski to give you more push. Knowing exactly how hard you can push your skis until they drift or let go is huge. Practice keeping your upper body pointed down the fall line, even play with slightly countering your upper body from your lower to stack even more weight on the skis. If you have the opportunity to do this bouncing back and forth between your race hill and something a little steeper, it will help a ton. If you get good at carving hard at speeds a little higher than the league hill, you'll have the carving ability, then you just have to work on timing and position with the gates.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FWIW, you can learn a ton about carving and body position outside of the gates. Gates are about timing, but you can develop the technique to reach high edge angles outside of the course.

When you aren't in gates, ski with purpose. Play around with pushing your carving harder with higher angles and using the flex of the ski to give you more push. Knowing exactly how hard you can push your skis until they drift or let go is huge. Practice keeping your upper body pointed down the fall line, even play with slightly countering your upper body from your lower to stack even more weight on the skis. If you have the opportunity to do this bouncing back and forth between your race hill and something a little steeper, it will help a ton. If you get good at carving hard at speeds a little higher than the league hill, you'll have the carving ability, then you just have to work on timing and position with the gates.

That is what’s often referred to as technique and tactics. The third component is strength.

Sponsor