• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
To me, "double camber" means something else. Maybe I'm dating myself. To me it refers to a classic xc ski that has a "first" or "long" camber that collapses fairly easily, and then a "second" or "kick pocket" camber immediately underfoot that will only flatten when all your weight (plus extra down-force) is on one foot. The idea is that when you're in the glide phase the kick zone is off the snow, but you can still engage the kick wax (or fishscales, or whatever) briefly when needed.

Actually, I think they call it "triple camber." I don't know from xc skis, though, come to think of it, I did that before I did alpine, il y a longtemps.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
@tinymoose I believe I talked to you a bit on SkiDiva. Glad you found your LX72's. I think you'll really enjoy them.

Me too! And thanks! Snow can't get here fast enough. :)

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
This showed up last week. This will be my Midwest resort longer turn/all mtn. telemark ski to complement the Fischer SL. I may run inserts to use alpine bindings. Should be a fun ski.
Blizzard Latigo.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Purty inneresting. There's a Blister review on it, I assume.

Yes, I demoed them at Loveland and they are a superb all mountain ski. I generally prefer wider skis since I spend my days exploring the off trail and so I use my skis as SUVs or 4x4's. Even so they are a joy to ski on the groomers. On snow feel is quite reassuring (grippy?) on the steepest groomed slopes but will pivot easily when you want it to. To me it was easy to get on edge. It is easy to ski overall even at slower speeds but it has very high capabilities even at higher speeds. I tend to ski more upright and centered and this ski fit me perfectly (the other was the Nordica Patron which I also love) and adapts to different turning styles and radii.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Here is my 2017 quiver. I actually pre-bought a bunch of Fischer gear this year as I had opportunities to buy new skis at a price I couldn't pass up, so I padded the quiver in anticipation of not needing to buy new skis for a few seasons. Not pictured is my wife's quiver (which we are still working on adding to for this year), my boot quiver, my retired ski quiver and some unmounted or not-yet--mounted duplicates of the skis pictured.

2017 Quiver.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is my 2017 quiver. I actually pre-bought a bunch of Fischer gear this year as I had opportunities to buy new skis at a price I couldn't pass up, so I padded the quiver in anticipation of not needing to buy new skis for a few seasons. Not pictured is my wife's quiver (which we are still working on adding to for this year), my boot quiver, my retired ski quiver and some unmounted or not-yet--mounted duplicates of the skis pictured.

View attachment 15752
Not buy skis for a few seasons? I don't understand. :huh:

Why the feel for race plates on the Monster 98's?

BTW, Do you still have those old Vist plates with the Markers from the Harts?

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Not buy skis for a few seasons? I don't understand. :huh:

Why the feel for race plates on the Monster 98's?

BTW, Do you still have those old Vist plates with the Markers from the Harts?

I like to have plates on all of my skis as it makes them much more stable and feel more like my race skis, which I am most comfortable on. I tend to gravitate toward wide skis that prefer to be on edge anyway, so the plate rounds out that setup well. I started running race plates on wide skis years ago when I was on Stockli Stormrider DPs and found that I really liked the feel so have done it ever since. I've tried going without, but it doesn't inspire confidence with how I prefer to ski.

My brother has both sets of VIST plate and Marker bindings (still skiing the plates and bindings and the GS skis I think). He snapped the SL ski a few seasons ago so those got retired. I keep trying to buy some more closeout stuff from Hart for Kathleen, but they seem to be generally unresponsive.

Oh... and I'll back off buying race skis for a few seasons... I think I'm set with short carvers. Not sure that will carry to the rest of the quiver. I'd like to get a new Fischer MTN 95 at some point.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like to have plates on all of my skis as it makes them much more stable and feel more like my race skis, which I am most comfortable on. I tend to gravitate toward wide skis that prefer to be on edge anyway, so the plate rounds out that setup well. I started running race plates on wide skis years ago when I was on Stockli Stormrider DPs and found that I really liked the feel so have done it ever since. I've tried going without, but it doesn't inspire confidence with how I prefer to ski.

My brother has both sets of VIST plate and Marker bindings (still skiing the plates and bindings and the GS skis I think). He snapped the SL ski a few seasons ago so those got retired. I keep trying to buy some more closeout stuff from Hart for Kathleen, but they seem to be generally unresponsive.
I am not sure how many of those Vist/Marker combos were produced. I am thinking high single/low double digits and they were from the pre Tecnica Blizzard days, from when Blizzard was still with Dalbello.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I am not sure how many of those Vist/Marker combos were produced. I am thinking high single/low double digits and they were from the pre Tecnica Blizzard days, from when Blizzard was still with Dalbello.

I've never seen another set. My brother loves the Speedlock plates (think he has three sets now). When the SL ski broke, it blew the heel out of one of the Marker bindings, so we had to swap that out (think he went with a full metal 16 din version), but it was easy to make the change as the Marker bindings were simply mounted onto a block of aluminum that had been designed to fit the Speedlock system. In reality, one could have mounted any binding to that interface, and kept the advantages of the Speedlock plate.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 15752
Amazing. At first I thought it was a shop wall. This is a serious question...how are you able to get the skis perfectly lined up? Are they simply eaning or is there something else?

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Amazing. At first I thought it was a shop wall. This is a serious question...how are you able to get the skis perfectly lined up? Are they simply eaning or is there something else?

They all just lean against the basement wall. I try to keep them lined up and stable so it reduces the chances of a domino-effect disaster.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Current Quiver - ready for East Coast frozen granular, otherwise known as ice
2017 Quiver.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No changes since June.. Decided to make the CoreUPT Lunatics the daily driver..

13321944_1311466858868849_687653129401716163_n.jpg

Main Mid Atlantic quiver
13335758_1311467022202166_4410788766260572796_n.jpg

Fatter Elan M series and same as above
13096115_1284999231515612_4705217417152933525_n.jpg

Retro
13087721_1284999234848945_1659534175984187806_n.jpg

Tele, Blades, Snow skate.
13147663_1287882834560585_1671151124934670293_o.jpg

Pole quiver
13245242_1305503996131802_2332548719439522704_n.jpg

Philpug