• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry to hear that's an ACL, I ruptured mine in 1998 and never had it operated on , I do wear a brace when I ski. At the time they were taking some of your patella tendon for the repair, I said no thanks a just did a ton of strength exercises with no side effects . Apparently there are a lot of people that are skiing with no ACL . Well I really hope for a speedy recovery and a aggressive PT treatments to see you back out on the hill next year.

snoempath

Booting up
Skier
Conversation I've had repeatedly in the last 4 months:

"I'm surprised your doctor let you ski so soon."
"Well, he's a skier, too."
"Ah!"

Ha! Well here's my story. [I was afraid to tell it last year, but I'm good now - the potential embarrassment is past. You'll see...]

Dec 14 2015 - totally crazy day. Only a few runs into the day. Snow was pretty punchy. Like 45" of new, fairly wet early season snow over the last 3-4 days. I was mostly ripping the tops off of the bumps. Black terrain, but nothing special. Make a turn, and went down. Not sure why.

Felt/heard the pop/thump when I went down. Right ski didn't release and was kind of underneath me. Pretty painful. Got it out. Now I'm on my back, with the ski overhead. Try to reach up and pop the heel release. "Ohhhhh! It's not supposed to do that..." when it and my boot kind of swing in lazy arcs - like it was on the end of a hotdog.

Short answer was: Pretty spectacular rotational fracture of the tib+fib.
Craziness ensues with the insurance people - but I get a tib nail the next day and go home to recover.

I had a season pass. Skiing is something I'd pick to do over nearly ANYTHING else.
Ortho says my season is over.
[I'm thinking. "Well, 12 weeks would leave me some room. Well, we'll just wait and see what happens." Non-unions do occur - even to healthy, active people.]

To shorten it more: at 11 weeks, the xrays look really very good. Walking fine. Pain is nearly zero.
Otho says "You can go back to normal activities."
Now the ortho is, IMO, a defensive medicine guy. He's never going to tell you that you CAN do something - because he doesn't want to be liable if you do it and crash and burn... So, I instead want to get answers if I *shouldn't* do anything...
Me: [thinking - woo-hoo!] "So, I'm probably not going to go out and get huge air doing single-track mountain biking, but is there anything I shouldn't do."
He: "Just don't kill yourself. If it hurts, you're pushing too hard."

I thought that left it pretty open. :)

So, a couple days later, I go run groomers. Easy day. Patellar tendon pain, but no bone pain till late in the day.[DIN set to Type-I, minus one.]
Ski again a few days later, with the friends who were with me when I broke it..Catch some wet heavy snow at the edge of the groomed run we're running - "Boom" I'm down and laying on my back faster than I can imagine. I'm thinking - "I bet this feels really bad when I get up." But it doesn't. Get on my feet and go stomp back in. No pain! Wow!

For the first four weeks, I turn up the volume a bit each day. At the end of most days I'd get modest bone pain, but it was getting better and better. I'd slow down or stop if it started hurting.

Then I get a great pow day - unusual for the PNW, especially in the spring. Decide that today is the day to try some blacks. Rip up a line down a short black as a "test.". No pain.
Repeat that on a harder, longer run - driving it really hard and aggresively. Again - totally rock solid!

Spend the rest of the day lapping double-blacks with a new-found lift-mate friend. At the end of the day, I'm hurting a bit - but I've just spent a day killing it.

At 19 weeks post nail, I get a ~40K vertical day - absolutely driving it all day long - nothing groomer - all 6-15" deep cream-cheezy pow. A few top-notch crashes - it's easy to strip a ski laterally in thick heavy-ish pow when your DIN is one lower than a Type I skier.

The last Sunday of the season I'm back at it.

But the Friday before, I'd picked up a desk at an office to move it. As I did, I realized it was _really_ heavy. But "Oh well. As long as we're here, lets get it done." And the leg just felt odd. Kind of like a bow and ripple went up and down it. But no pain - it seemed fine. I wondered if I simply imagined it.

Went out on Sunday. I'd been getting small air for the last month, so didn't think anything about a first run through the park - hitting the edges of the kickers. Just a couple of feet of air. Well, the fourth or fifth one was the bogs. When I landed it hurt _really_ badly.

After 15-20 minutes of laying around took the edge off, I skied down to the lodge - essentially on one ski.
I already had a pre-scheduled appt three weeks later. Since pain dropped off pretty quickly after the first week, and I could hobble around - I simply went to my regular follow-up as "normal." I didn't call in, or try to get in to see anyone sooner. By the time of my appointment three weeks later, I could almost walk normally. :)

That final follow-up to the Ortho for the nail showed that I'd re-cracked the upper portion of the butterfly break. No damage to the main displaced break, or anything else.

Another 6-8 weeks of limited duty - but IMO it was worth it. I'd salvaged two glorious months of the season!
A final follow-up [at my request] in Oct 2016 showed all was well.

I've had a bomber season this year. Lots of air, a bunch of incredible pow days. I get the usual; some pain over the break site, patellar tendon/knee discomfort. The screws haven't bothered me at all - I didn't even need to mod my boots.

This year, I've slammed wind-lips I didn't see, fallen off small rock-bands, had quite a number of pretty awesome crash-and-burns - and I need to exercise and strengthen my rotator cuffs - but nothing to keep me down for more than a day or three at a time.

IMO, I'm not doing half bad for a 48 Y/O guy who shattered his Tibia last year. :)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@snoempath - everyone's gotta choose their level of risk/reward. It doesn't sound to me like the skiing was the issue for you, anyway. That's always my big fear - hurting myself doing something completely mundane. The story isn't nearly as good that way.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
always my big fear - hurting myself doing something completely mundane

Hah - so true. Between blowing my first ACL about seven years ago and getting it fixed four years ago, one thing like that stands out in my memory. I had a basketball hoop with a non-permanent, weighted base filled with sand. I sold it to a young couple who came over with a pickup truck. We tipped it and got out as much sand as we could, which was not all that much, and the the three of us struggled to load it into the truck. It was still REALLY heavy, and awkward. In the process, I was lifting as hard as I could and then twisted to shift the thing so it lined up with the truck bed. Dumb, dumb, dumb. My knee went out. (Not the only time it went, but probably the dumbest.)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hah - so true. Between blowing my first ACL about seven years ago and getting it fixed four years ago, one thing like that stands out in my memory. I had a basketball hoop with a non-permanent, weighted base filled with sand. I sold it to a young couple who came over with a pickup truck. We tipped it and got out as much sand as we could, which was not all that much, and the the three of us struggled to load it into the truck. It was still REALLY heavy, and awkward. In the process, I was lifting as hard as I could and then twisted to shift the thing so it lined up with the truck bed. Dumb, dumb, dumb. My knee went out. (Not the only time it went, but probably the dumbest.)

Ugh. Plant and twist. Classic.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Surgery went very Thursday and dr Philippon was able to resect enough of the acetabulum (hip bone) so I didn't need micro fracturing (yay). I had 3 anchors to hold the labrum, reshaping of the femoral neck and a lot of cleanup of the labrum itself. I had pt the next morning and was on the bike for 20 minutes I have pt 2x per day until Tuesday. The Steadman Philippon clinic runs like like a fine Swiss watch and the care is exceptional. There were 12 hip surgeries this week and probably the same amount of knees. "We" hip people are know as the "hippies" Although the surgery is not that painful, (already off all pain meds) the regiment is exhausting. I'm hooked up to a CPM (continuous movement ) leg compression pump sleeves and a ice jacket all for several hours per day. I also wear a hip brace restricting range of movement My lovely wife is a saint as I am not allowed to engage any muscles so she has to pick up my legs anytime you need to move. So I'm on crutches for the next 5 weeks Here's a pictur of my Pugski 1/4 zip shirt (Pugski prototype ) and a diagram of what they did during surgery.
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Ron , thank you for making this sacrifice so that I could have a good ski day Saturday ;-)

Look at you, already on the bike! Modern surgery is crazy. So glad it's going well.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Its my pleasure! Hips are much different from acls of course. I was doing cat/cows and easy child poses this AM. Almost all of the ACL people get portable blocks the keep for a few days. I wish i had that for my ACL. Did you have one?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Its my pleasure! Hips are much different from acls of course. I was doing cat/cows and easy child poses this AM. Almost all of the ACL people get portable blocks the keep for a few days. I wish i had that for my ACL. Did you have one?

I don't think so ... what do you mean by "block"? Like a yoga block?

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Glad to hear it's going well, Ron. You'll make your biking season, eh?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @Kneale Brownson full unreatricted probably not till mid july but we were discussing that this AM. Typically full recovery is 4-6 montgs but it could be closer to the 4 month mark eapecially since there wasno microfractuing.

@Monique a block is a pain control method where a drug is typically injected via a IV into a spine or femural nerve.(i had a spinal) Femural nerves are used for ACLs. A portable block is a wearable device that a person wears and a small continuos amount of drug is administered to block feeling to the area.

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
Monique, the portable version is a kind-of ball of medicine plugged into an indwelling needle with tubing so you can take it with you as you move about. Helped me with my last Achilles' tendon repair, and Franz thanked me for recommending it for his.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Had my MRI reading consultation today. As expected, ACL full tear. Bad news is small meniscus tear (repair / trim / leave alone to be determined in real time during surgery). Good news is everything else is intact.

Sigh... the reality hit me this evening. Feeling old and a little sorry for myself. Oh well, pull yourself together and do your taxes, buddy! :eek:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Had my MRI reading consultation today. As expected, ACL full tear. Bad news is small meniscus tear (repair / trim / leave alone to be determined in real time during surgery). Good news is everything else is intact.

Sigh... the reality hit me this evening. Feeling old and a little sorry for myself. Oh well, pull yourself together and do your taxes, buddy! :eek:

Taxes will cheer you up, buddy ;) Very young sports people pull ACLs all the time. No need to put yourself down! Think of all the naughty turns you make all the time, and you'll be making next season. This is a little bit of downtime. Time to explore some good wines, and in a few months start getting strong again

:hug:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm sorry, @mdf . I know you've been through this before, so you know the drill. I had my biggest emotional reaction to my ACL rupture just a few weeks ago - almost a year out from the injury. Unexpected and, well, probably good for me to lose it a little.

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
Always sorry to hear of someone's injury. ACL repair today is highly successful. Heal well!!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Had my MRI reading consultation -

- Sigh... the reality hit me this evening. Feeling old and a little sorry for myself. Oh well, pull yourself together and do your taxes, buddy! :eek:
Kübler-Ross model - denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.
Get well, and be well, @mdf :crossfingers:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Sorry to read this. I'm familiar with too many similar incidents this season, including my own. I was lucky -- and remind myself of that often, usually right after whining about how little use I got from my ski passes.

Hope your surgery and your recovery are straightforward. Heal well.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Surgery went very Thursday and dr Philippon was able to resect enough of the acetabulum (hip bone) so I didn't need micro fracturing (yay). I had 3 anchors to hold the labrum, reshaping of the femoral neck and a lot of cleanup of the labrum itself. I had pt the next morning and was on the bike for 20 minutes I have pt 2x per day until Tuesday. The Steadman Philippon clinic runs like like a fine Swiss watch and the care is exceptional. There were 12 hip surgeries this week and probably the same amount of knees. "We" hip people are know as the "hippies" Although the surgery is not that painful, (already off all pain meds) the regiment is exhausting. I'm hooked up to a CPM (continuous movement ) leg compression pump sleeves and a ice jacket all for several hours per day. I also wear a hip brace restricting range of movement My lovely wife is a saint as I am not allowed to engage any muscles so she has to pick up my legs anytime you need to move. So I'm on crutches for the next 5 weeks Here's a pictur of my Pugski 1/4 zip shirt (Pugski prototype ) and a diagram of what they did during surgery.
View attachment 21790 View attachment 21791
Happy to hear everything went well. :hug: Hope you'll feel well enough to hang out on the Beach with me in May.

Sponsor

Staff online