• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This should be a cross between "my year in injuries" and "is spring skiing worth it". I get to add a rotator cuff injury obtained during g spring skiing. We'll see what the doc says but, at the moment, I can't lift my left arm. Turns out tumbling down a chute will do that! And the day after I got the pass that will carry through until Memorial Day and next season.

Boo!

I mean, do you *need* to lift your arm? I skied with some pretty bad shoulder bursitis. It was only an issue on the T-Bar.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Boo!

I mean, do you *need* to lift your arm? I skied with some pretty bad shoulder bursitis. It was only an issue on the T-Bar.
That's what I'm thinking. Strap it down and go for it. It hurts like stink if I move it at all. I stumbled on the dog today and lifted it an inch or two to catch my balance. Yeeeooowww!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That's what I'm thinking. Strap it down and go for it. It hurts like stink if I move it at all. I stumbled on the dog today and lifted it an inch or two to catch my balance. Yeeeooowww!

Err. Yeah, that sounds pretty rough. Worse than what I had for sure.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The worst part about rotator cuff injuries is that one is locked out of stuff one would never ordinarily think of - like holding bicycle or ATV handlebars. And OMG! Pole plants!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The worst part about rotator cuff injuries is that one is locked out of stuff one would never ordinarily think of - like holding bicycle or ATV handlebars. And OMG! Pole plants!
Yep. I had the other one done a few years ago. The recovery from the surgery is a bear.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bad news, I hurt my knee skiing at Whistler and had to cancel my helicopter trip.
As I said in my heli thread, I bouught the travel insurance... hoping it really works

^ Ouch, sorry to hear. I hope you have a speedy 100% recovery.
And travel insurance works. I had no trouble with AIG travel guard when peroneal tendinosis prevented my attending a trip to Breck.

Just got my check from the insurance company for the full amount I gave CMH.:golfclap: I guess I'll stash it away and try again in 2019.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Fractured a fibular neck on 4 March at Kirkwood. Not being diagnosed and thinking it a LCL sprain skied on a few days the following week gently. Took it easy for 5 weeks and following a discharge x ray at 6 weeks just got back from 8 days of spring skiing and boarding in Val Thorens. Started the week sub 60%. Was hitting 90% by the end on a couple of beautiful corn afternoons. The enforced lay off from physical activity was probably more of a factor than the fracture itself.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've skied twice since banging up my shoulder. Still sore but not horrible. Just no left hand pole plants.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've skied twice since banging up my shoulder. Still sore but not horrible. Just no left hand pole plants.

yeah I did that with #4. It went well..right up to the moment I fell on that shoulder. Now that was an exercise in pain tolerance...though it didn't really set back my recovery much, maybe a couple of weeks.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah I did that with #4. It went well..right up to the moment I fell on that shoulder. Now that was an exercise in pain tolerance...though it didn't really set back my recovery much, maybe a couple of weeks.
I did take a slap down but, luckily, it happened so fast I didn't even get a chance to put my arm out.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Man.

I was 100% prepared to deal with the emotional toll of being a scaredy-cat on skis. But that's not the case. I am very much raring to go. I haven't skied the gnarliest stuff I've ever skied, but I've skied relatively steep slopes, some trees, etc, without getting anxious. The technique work I did this season actually makes me *more* comfortable, because when I feel like I'm out of control, I know exactly what I need to fix. It's very empowering.

I was (apparently) 0% prepared for my knee to still be as cranky as it is. Especially the last few weeks. I don't know exactly what's going on. It could have to do with the shifting weather / pressure systems. It could be that spring conditions are harder on the joints, and anyway I only started skiing terrain in Mid-March, before which I was skiing groomers and very carefully selected bump runs (ding ding ding!) It could be something else? My knee has gone from being reasonably happy most of the time (except after a day of skiing), to being pretty cranky most of the time. And when it's cranky, it's not just that it hurts. I could deal with it hurting. The problem is that it won't bend once it starts hurting, which puts me out of control, so then I start doing what my friend Kevin calls "rotato potato" moves (upper body rotation), which torques my knee ... on and on in a vicious cycle.

I rode my mountain bike a couple of weeks ago, and while it felt 100% fine during the ride, it seemed like the start of the ongoing crankiness. I was planning to get in shape this summer by mountain biking, lots. I realize it's premature, but I'm worried if riding isn't an option. I sold my road bike, which in any case never fit me properly and hurt my knees *before* all this. I was also looking forward to rock climbing. I was cleared to rock climb two months before I was cleared to ski, but even easy indoor routes piss off my knee royally, so that's a big nope.

I've been avoiding squats, lunges, etc because they were irritating my patellar tendon, thus resulting in less skiing, so another possibility is that I've exhausted the strength that I built up while doing that exercise program, which I quit in ... January, I think.

I think it's time to check in with one of my PTs and see what they think ...

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Man.

I was 100% prepared to deal with the emotional toll of being a scaredy-cat on skis. But that's not the case. I am very much raring to go. I haven't skied the gnarliest stuff I've ever skied, but I've skied relatively steep slopes, some trees, etc, without getting anxious. The technique work I did this season actually makes me *more* comfortable, because when I feel like I'm out of control, I know exactly what I need to fix. It's very empowering.

I was (apparently) 0% prepared for my knee to still be as cranky as it is. Especially the last few weeks. I don't know exactly what's going on. It could have to do with the shifting weather / pressure systems. It could be that spring conditions are harder on the joints, and anyway I only started skiing terrain in Mid-March, before which I was skiing groomers and very carefully selected bump runs (ding ding ding!) It could be something else? My knee has gone from being reasonably happy most of the time (except after a day of skiing), to being pretty cranky most of the time. And when it's cranky, it's not just that it hurts. I could deal with it hurting. The problem is that it won't bend once it starts hurting, which puts me out of control, so then I start doing what my friend Kevin calls "rotato potato" moves (upper body rotation), which torques my knee ... on and on in a vicious cycle.

Yeah, I've been here a bit. When my knees start hurting, they don't want to bend (or I don't want them to bend), and all of the sudden I am bracing with that front leg. It must look pretty. lol.

My left knee has been weird for the past month, I took a few weeks off (mostly) but it still feels odd. Not exactly painful, just much weaker. I quit early our second Taos day because it just wasn't working, and I fell over a couple of times in some spots that you really. shouldn't. fall. It felt all collapse-y when I was walking back to the car. I was poking around today, and I think there could be a cyst in there. I have had two quite large cysts removed from my right knee, but never in left. I guess I'll wait a little longer and see if things improve, but I'm curious.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah, I've been here a bit. When my knees start hurting, they don't want to bend (or I don't want them to bend), and all of the sudden I am bracing with that front leg. It must look pretty. lol.

My left knee has been weird for the past month, I took a few weeks off (mostly) but it still feels odd. Not exactly painful, just much weaker. I quit early our second Taos day because it just wasn't working, and I fell over a couple of times in some spots that you really. shouldn't. fall. It felt all collapse-y when I was walking back to the car. I was poking around today, and I think there could be a cyst in there. I have had two quite large cysts removed from my right knee, but never in left. I guess I'll wait a little longer and see if things improve, but I'm curious.

Hah, I can't even imagine you not skiing pretty. But when I skied down some slush bumps last weekend, @Rich McP asked which was my affected leg. I told him. He just nodded. It's .... not exactly subtle. And that's when I thought I *was* forcing it to bend! The next run .. yeah, I was done. I guess I can be glad that I'm comfortable enough on skis that I can make it down pretty much everything even with a rebellious knee. Maybe now is the time to learn how to ski on just my left leg .. then I wouldn't have to stop for the day!

I'm sorry about the knee. Was the cyst removal surgical, or drainage with a needle?

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Maybe now is the time to learn how to ski on just my left leg .. then I wouldn't have to stop for the day!
HA, back east one day I was bored stiff with a half hour lines to ski a short 400 ft vertical run [Ski Liberty] so I was either quitting or do something unusual.
I decided to ski several hours with one ski. Pretty hard at first. Every half hour I'd switch the ski to the other foot.

Thinking later, it was a great training exercise for edge control, LOL

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hah, I can't even imagine you not skiing pretty. But when I skied down some slush bumps last weekend, @Rich McP asked which was my affected leg. I told him. He just nodded. It's .... not exactly subtle. And that's when I thought I *was* forcing it to bend! The next run .. yeah, I was done. I guess I can be glad that I'm comfortable enough on skis that I can make it down pretty much everything even with a rebellious knee. Maybe now is the time to learn how to ski on just my left leg .. then I wouldn't have to stop for the day!

I'm sorry about the knee. Was the cyst removal surgical, or drainage with a needle?

Both were surgical. They were golf ball size plus, one on the front of my knee (I have an inch-long scar from that), and the other on my ACL. That one was removed during a menisectomy; don't know if they would have attempted to just drain it if I wasn't already having surgery.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Would I be jinxing myself if I said I did not fall once this year? Of course I only skied 5 days
Yes, and be careful what you wish for. I blew out both ACL's, one this year and one many years ago, and I did not fall either time. I'd rather fall.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, and be careful what you wish for. I blew out both ACL's, one this year and one many years ago, and I did not fall either time. I'd rather fall.

OUCH!!!

I am missing 20% of my right ACL due to surgery.

Maybe I will revert from low level 4 to 100% wedging again

:yahoo::crossfingers:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink