• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Had my MRI reading consultation today. As expected, ACL full tear. Bad news is small meniscus tear (repair / trim / leave alone to be determined in real time during surgery). Good news is everything else is intact.

Sigh... the reality hit me this evening. Feeling old and a little sorry for myself. Oh well, pull yourself together and do your taxes, buddy! :eek:

There is nothing wrong about feeling old sometimes. It even hit me once in awhile. :nono: Not often but there are definitely moments.
Usually I think of the alternative to getting older then things don't look so bleak.

Go ahead and get it done. Heal well and come back next season older, stronger and wiser.
Good luck.

Bruce

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is nothing wrong about feeling old sometimes. It even hit me once in awhile. :nono: Not often but there are definitely moments.
Usually I think of the alternative to getting older then things don't look so bleak.

Go ahead and get it done. Heal well and come back next season older, stronger and wiser.
Good luck.

Bruce

I have a pre-surgery screening physical day after tomorrow, and then I can schedule the surgery. There is a good chance I can do it in April. When my surgeon asked about time frames, I told him I wanted to do it as soon as possible so I didn't lose all of next season. So he said, "Hmmm, ten months, could be. Depends on what next season is like of course." (He isn't thinking of Utah, I can tell.) And then he told me he really enjoyed being a surgeon -- what he does is really cool -- but one of the opportunity costs is that he does not get to ski very much.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I'm feeling a lot better today.
Bruce, I hope we get to ski together next year. It is always a highlight of my year, my friend.

Mike

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Had my MRI reading consultation today. As expected, ACL full tear. Bad news is small meniscus tear (repair / trim / leave alone to be determined in real time during surgery). Good news is everything else is intact.

Sigh... the reality hit me this evening. Feeling old and a little sorry for myself. Oh well, pull yourself together and do your taxes, buddy! :eek:
Really bummed for you. Sorry we'll be missing you at A-Basin. Get it fixed, heal up and get back at it for Utah next season!!

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
mdf: I had my ACL repair in early June and skied groomers in mid December. The knee was definitely weaker than the other and was a little shaky. I wore a good knee brace of course. I think it was good therapy though because the next time around Xmas I was skiing powder/off piste without as much weakness. I think doctors sometimes don't realize the motivation of us die hard skiers to get back on the hill. Work really hard in therapy, do your "homework", and you will be out there early next season for sure. Especially if you can get the repair done this month. Good luck!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Surgery scheduled for May 16. I was hoping to do it earlier, since this makes March in Utah only 9 1/2 months out.:nono:

Cadaver graft?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Lvin' my double bundle allograft :golfclap:

It's weird to me that they don't (I gather?) use cadaver ACLs. They still use hamstring or patellar tendon, right?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sending good vibes to you @mdf!!!
At least now you have an excuse to ski with me and the other intermediates next year! :P

Or he can probably hang with my "Old and Slow" group. We don't move that quick. :D

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
nope, mine repair was 2 ACL's bundled. The OS up here uses them regularly

When I read "bundled," I thought hamstring. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sending good vibes to you @mdf!!!
At least now you have an excuse to ski with me and the other intermediates next year! :P
We can leave the super pipe reunion for next, next year....:beercheer:

I just bought the Mountain Collective Pass for next year -- a moral commitment to attend the Gathering (or at least financial).
Skiing with the intermediates is actually a good idea; not only will I be rehabbing, it will be my first day of the season!

Of course my son Kevin says it will probably take a rope to keep me off the double blacks. [Maybe by the end of the week. Please...:huh:)

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Getting old isn't for sissies. Just wondering when it will hit me! Still
go down most anything but don't
bomb the groomers anymore like
the young kids. Best of luck MDF.
:daffy:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
@snoempath - .. my big fear - hurting myself doing something completely mundane.
That's Trish's story. Skied one day then
had to turn in her pass. No refund but she got them to credit her $$ to my account. I just used her $$ to renew
my pass- will pay her back. She was with me at a Qigong class and just before class the room was cold so she
was running in place to stay warm. Steps sideways and falls in a slow twist on the carpet and was in too much pain to get up.

Went straight to ER and found it was
a fractured lower back vertaebrae.
Bummer,no skiing this year, no similar Injury ever.

As dumb as falling off the couch and getting hurt.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That's Trish's story. Skied one day then
had to turn in her pass. No refund but she got them to credit her $$ to my account. I just used her $$ to renew
my pass- will pay her back. She was with me at a Qigong class and just before class the room was cold so she
was running in place to stay warm. Steps sideways and falls in a slow twist on the carpet and was in too much pain to get up.

Went straight to ER and found it was
a fractured lower back vertaebrae.
Bummer,no skiing this year, no similar Injury ever.

As dumb as falling off the couch and getting hurt.

Wow! That is awful =/

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This should be a cross between "my year in injuries" and "is spring skiing worth it". I get to add a rotator cuff injury obtained during g spring skiing. We'll see what the doc says but, at the moment, I can't lift my left arm. Turns out tumbling down a chute will do that! And the day after I got the pass that will carry through until Memorial Day and next season.

Sponsor

Staff online