• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
So my son, wife and I have been lift served Mountain Biking a few times. This past weekend she was outbid town on travel. Well we opted to ride Breck and low and behold my son takes digger on the first run tking him out of commission. Went first aide to get things cleaned up, had lunch and I was about to go up and what do you know lift on hold due to a storm in the area. So $68 for not even one while run. Plus another $60 for lunch and beer.

Oh well. My son's reaction was funny - after getting up and bleeding he says "see dad, that why I would rather just ski here!".

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hey you know im in and plan on staying in that intermediate zone. I have no desire to get faster or radder than now. I save all that for ski season. For me riding bikes is about getting outside, excersise and mental health. Im in it for the long haul and don't want to end up in the hospital.

I do want to go faster and be radder - with manageable incremental progression. I guess instead of focusing on what other people were doing on that trail, I should think of various "firsts" I managed this season (duh!).

So my son, wife and I have been lift served Mountain Biking a few times. This past weekend she was outbid town on travel. Well we opted to ride Breck and low and behold my son takes digger on the first run tking him out of commission. Went first aide to get things cleaned up, had lunch and I was about to go up and what do you know lift on hold due to a storm in the area. So $68 for not even one while run. Plus another $60 for lunch and beer.

Oh well. My son's reaction was funny - after getting up and bleeding he says "see dad, that why I would rather just ski here!".

Doh! Afternoon storm holds are pretty much par for the course this time of year ...

Where else have you been to ride lift-serviced, and how did it compare? I rode lift-serviced a few years ago at Breck and found it to be extremely mellow compared to Keystone and even Winter Park. But it was crazy standing at the top of Boreas in the summer, looking at the concrete remains of the base of the pole with big old screws sticking out, realizing I ski over that thing every winter ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I planned to ride today, but I wasn't feeling it in the morning and didn't want to deal with technical riding. I was waffling and wasting time until I decided to hit up the Overland Loop at Heil. They just had the ribbon cutting ceremony a few weeks ago. All I knew is that it was a little over 2 miles long and was advertised as intermediate / low intermediate. I figured I could lap it as much or little as I wanted. Low commitment. Just what I needed today.

Where was this trail when I was starting out?? It's very mellow, both technically and aerobically. It has enough twists and turns to be fun and flow, but it's 99% buff trail, wider than singletrack but not wide enough for two people to walk side by side. It's directional for bikes - looks like it will always be counterclockwise. From the existing trailhead, it undulates for a while, finally climbing out for the last half mile or so.

There's also a new trailhead that I completely overlooked on the drive in. From there, you start at the base of the climb, and get a nice descent down to your car.

As far as views, it's not much to look at, but it would have been great to practice general riding skills, mellow switchbacks, and a very few small rock bits that are more "oh, hey, that's not dirt" than they are obstacles.

All that being said - I don't know how long it will last in this state. Over the years, I've seen the other trails at Heil start buff, then become rocky as the dirt wears down. Trail maintenance helps, but ultimately, nature wins. This is in a different type of landscape than the trail on the other side of the trailhead, so maybe it'll stay this way. We'll see. It would be fun with a bunch of rocks, too, but less beginner friendly.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
A little spot fire as seen on tonight's spin.
20170822_184854.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
I do want to go faster and be radder - with manageable incremental progression. I guess instead of focusing on what other people were doing on that trail, I should think of various "firsts" I managed this season (duh!).

Doh! Afternoon storm holds are pretty much par for the course this time of year ...

Where else have you been to ride lift-serviced, and how did it compare? I rode lift-serviced a few years ago at Breck and found it to be extremely mellow compared to Keystone and even Winter Park. But it was crazy standing at the top of Boreas in the summer, looking at the concrete remains of the base of the pole with big old screws sticking out, realizing I ski over that thing every winter ...

We have been to Keystone and it is much better bit also intimidating for a relative beginner. Breck allows us to learn how tires slide as my son found outvthe hard way.

Regarding some trails, well we were also shocked about what we ski over. Huge rocks and fallen trees, as well as construction debris. Also a mini golf course.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...well we were also shocked about what we ski over...also a mini golf course.

Winner!

@Monique, it's not a problem with your state, the rocks and roots get "taller" every year on any trail that gets ridden a lot!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We have been to Keystone and it is much better bit also intimidating for a relative beginner. Breck allows us to learn how tires slide as my son found outvthe hard way.

*nod*

Have you talked to your son about the importance of feathering brakes rather than grabbing them? That seems to be a game changer.

Winter Park's blues are much more accessible than Keystone's, fwiw. I think the greens between the two are comparable. The blues at Keystone are pretty techy - the ones at WP are much more flow oriented with a few very rollable wooden features.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My summer of moose sightings continues. At PowMow yesterday. Big bull, down there in the aspen grove below me. He was close enough for discomfort, and we had to head a bit TOWARDS him, but he seemed pretty content to munch on the aspen leaves and was not too interested in us. Thankfully, my friend's dog, who is still a pup, is a very good girl and left him alone. I wish moose weren't so aggressive. They are so cool!
20953661_10214298462361788_5681444340480141303_n.jpg

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
*nod*

Have you talked to your son about the importance of feathering brakes rather than grabbing them? That seems to be a game changer.

Winter Park's blues are much more accessible than Keystone's, fwiw. I think the greens between the two are comparable. The blues at Keystone are pretty techy - the ones at WP are much more flow oriented with a few very rollable wooden features.

Feathering is a good idea. As far as Winter park that sounds good and will have to venture out there.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is actually a flatlands road ride; didn't know if I should start a thread for road bike stoke photos. But my daughter humored me with a little spin. Very relaxing and hot.
We saw these guys and since my daughter actually rides horses more than bikes these days, we had to say "hi."

IMG_4030.JPG
IMG_4042.JPG
IMG_4039.JPG

Passed by many Yolo County tomato fields and tomato spillage on the road;and finished the last part of our ride on dirt, just for fun.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My summer of moose sightings continues. At PowMow yesterday. Big bull, down there in the aspen grove below me. He was close enough for discomfort, and we had to head a bit TOWARDS him, but he seemed pretty content to munch on the aspen leaves and was not too interested in us. Thankfully, my friend's dog, who is still a pup, is a very good girl and left him alone. I wish moose weren't so aggressive. They are so cool!
20953661_10214298462361788_5681444340480141303_n.jpg

Okay, I've stared at this photo for a while. Is this an invisible moose?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I played eye-spy with this one for a bit too. Follow the direction where Amy's right fingers (lookers left) are pointing. In the trees there's a dark spot which I believe is a moose?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I played eye-spy with this one for a bit too. Follow the direction where Amy's right fingers (lookers left) are pointing. In the trees there's a dark spot which I believe is a moose?
Or a Squatch ;)

image.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's no sasquatch! And hey, when are you coming back this way? You need to ride with all of us. Except I think they hurt Ashley last night, as he crashed hard and banged up his foot really badly. Couldn't walk on it. I've been riding with a lot of your old instructor buddies this year. And Oliver, who blows all our asses out of the water (surprise, surprise!)

As far as the moose, yes, it's the darker patch in the aspen grove. He was a big guy, we were a wee bit freaked out!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
That's no sasquatch! And hey, when are you coming back this way? You need to ride with all of us. Except I think they hurt Ashley last night, as he crashed hard and banged up his foot really badly. Couldn't walk on it. I've been riding with a lot of your old instructor buddies this year. And Oliver, who blows all our asses out of the water (surprise, surprise!)

As far as the moose, yes, it's the darker patch in the aspen grove. He was a big guy, we were a wee bit freaked out!
I plan to be out there in a few weeks & look forward to riding with the crew. I'll need some guidance on the Pow Mow trails.
I hope Ashley is okay & he heals soon. The only way to keep up with Oli is to hurt him too ;) .

View attachment 28490 View attachment 28489 TRT rose meadows to incline today. I took a shuttle but its overall a pretty long ride and is working me pretty good. I am looking forward eating and cold beer at the end of this.
Did you fit the flume in?
I luv this area as it is one of the most scenic anywhere.
Tahoe Flume trail:
IMG_1462.JPG

Got my first lap on a brand new section of local trail this morning...
IMG_4010.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online