• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Might as well kick off a new thread for the year with new gear! I bought this baby for $2199 today. I pick it up on Wednesday.

https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/intrigue-1-2016

IMG_0080.JPG

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Looks awesome! I neeeed a MTB. :beercheer:

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice bike - great price !
Need to find me a deal like that

Now is definitely the time to pick up last year's bikes at great prices as shops need to make room for this year's models. I found this one and one other I looked at by just trolling local shops' websites for sale bikes. I got lucky as the only size they had happened to be an XS. It's odd because bike size is the only thing that I need an XS in. I'm 5'6" tall but my legs are just so dang short that standover height is a real issue. I tried a 2016 Trek Lush SL 27.5 and a 2017 Trek Fuel EX 5 in a 14" and those were too big.

Anyone have opinions on hitch mounted bike racks that are lockable? I can get a bike in the back of my vehicle but there will be trips to Steamboat when I want to take 2 bikes and camping trips where the inside is loaded with gear so I need the bike on the outside.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Unrelated to this thread, I may be selling a women's 50cm carbon frame road bike soon ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Now is definitely the time to pick up last year's bikes at great prices as shops need to make room for this year's models. I found this one and one other I looked at by just trolling local shops' websites for sale bikes. I got lucky as the only size they had happened to be an XS. It's odd because bike size is the only thing that I need an XS in. I'm 5'6" tall but my legs are just so dang short that standover height is a real issue. I tried a 2016 Trek Lush SL 27.5 and a 2017 Trek Fuel EX 5 in a 14" and those were too big.

I was really cranky to find out that the top tube on the Yeti everyone was raving about - it reached all the way to my crotch in the smallest size. The salesguy tried to convince me it didn't matter, and I tried to convince myself, but no, I don't want my bits crushed every time I come to an abrupt stop. I'm 5'5 with fairly long legs! If it doesn't work for me, they're ignoring a pretty large demographic.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Anyone have opinions on hitch mounted bike racks that are lockable? I can get a bike in the back of my vehicle but there will be trips to Steamboat when I want to take 2 bikes and camping trips where the inside is loaded with gear so I need the bike on the outside.

I have this one and an older Yakima bike rack with the same security cable locking feature. Works as advertised and without too much fuss. I doubt the cable would hold up to any determined effort to cut it, but then again, all you want is a deterrent to someone not walking around with bolt cutters.

https://www.yakima.com/fulltilt-5

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I have the Yakima two bike tray, hitch mount rack (don't recall the name). It locks to the hitch, as well as has a cable for each bike that locks. Similar to JeffB's I doubt it would hold up to anyone determined to cut through it, but it's a solid deterrent. When we need to leave our bikes in busier areas on the hitch we'll throw a thicker, independent lock around the bikes as well.

IMO if you have a full suspension bike, go with a tray-type rack...so much easier than one with arms.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We've had an "all time" winter in terms of snow this year, so the slowest start ever to real mtb riding for 2017.

Does this count, from yesterday?!

Kingsley Snow 2017.JPG

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. Yeah, I should have said I plan to do a tray style rack. I realize that the lock won't be great one and plan to do added security if I'm leaving my bikes. No lock is perfect but if nothing else I won't be a paranoid nutcase as I try to grab a bite to eat after a ride for example.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We've had an "all time" winter in terms of snow this year, so the slowest start ever to real mtb riding for 2017.

Nice! That is one very nice thing about living near Boulder. I can get on clear and dry trails most of the year and as long as they aren't wet I can jaunt over to the bike park trails at lunch.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
stand over is over rated....

With a longer more stable, and yet still easier to turn bike the need to get off the bike is greatly reduced.

I have no stand over at 5'8 on my Large Trance, but it rides WAY better than a M trance ever would for me.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
stand over is over rated....

With a longer more stable, and yet still easier to turn bike the need to get off the bike is greatly reduced.

I have no stand over at 5'8 on my Large Trance, but it rides WAY better than a M trance ever would for me.

My clearance is a matter of a couple of centimeters at that. It's not like I've got inches. The ones I ruled out pressed firmly against my crotch which I wasn't comfortable with. Maybe for someone more experienced it isn't a big deal but I'm very much a beginner mountain bike rider. I'd rather not slam into the top tube when I make a mistake which I will inevitably make.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
it does kinda of suck that most companies just do not give bike as much stand over as possible......

There is no reason to have less.....

IE Kona.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier

1up USA tray racks. They are direct-sale only. They are the rack you get after you have bought the Thule/Yakima options. Nothing else compares to 1up. But there are no 20% off sales at REI, Emp Purchase, etc... Pay full price and you will still love these!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Meh. I have been mountain biking for a while, but I don't have mad skillz. I just enjoy it. Anyway, there are plenty of times when I think I'm going to ride up something, but I get stopped hard, and yes, I end up over the top tube with my feet on the ground because I'm still moving forward, but the bike stopped. Standover height matters.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Picked her up this afternoon. They did a basic fit adjusting seat height, tilt, fore/aft and flipped the stem, installed pedals, gave me some tips on adjusting shocks etc. Then I got to the bike park with just enough time to spend 15 minutes riding before dark. I felt so much more confident on her!

IMG_0074.JPG

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got out for 11 miles of dirt, snow, ice, mud, and friends today. It was a chilly ride around 38* but worth it!

IMG_0081.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You're clearly in love with the new bike! Love it!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was just down around the corner in this pic where I went down yesterday. I came up a slight rise and there was oncoming traffic so I went to slow/stop and my pedal would not release my shoe. As it turns out I had lost a screw from my cleat and when I attempted to release the cleat just moved around on my shoe. I was considering how well it would go if I attempted to ride back with the foot that I normally release when stopping affixed to my bike and relying on my brain to make myself use the other foot when a rescue came. I'm thankful to the gentleman who came to my rescue and got my shoe off the pedal. Once the shoe was released from the pedal I could have ridden back not clipped in or even removing the cleat altogether to avoid accidentally clipping in but I didn't have to because he had a spare cleat screw that he gave me which I promised to pay forward to another rider some day. He also taught me a couple of tricks for having spare gear including using spare cleat screws for a water bottle cage which can then be used in an emergency.

Still, it was a fun ride, worked on some skill and confidence and made me love my bike just a bit more.

Green Mountain Trail.jpg