• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Went to a downhill park (Trestle) for the first time last weekend. That was fun. Mostly flowy stuff rather than techy. Even managed avoid hurting ourselves.

Then, today on our weekly post-work ride my buddy got worked. Luckily I had a beer at the trailhead to help him shake it off a bit.
20842052_10103214351525914_2353520107359372679_n.jpg

Trestle is fun! Dirt rash is not.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I just wish I could ride with a stand for when I have a rear wheel flat while I'm riding!

Not sure what type of trails you ride. But here in the northeast, it's generally pretty easy to find a tree branch or nub from a branch at a reasonable height to hang your bike off of (hung from the seat). It's not ideal, but normally doesn't does the trick.

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
Out with the old, in with the less old...

So after destroying the original XTR front wheel on my 10 year old Stumpy (have never had a mountain bike last me more than 5 years before this one) I found myself scouring the interwebs for a reasonable quality all-mountain-ish 26" UST wheel. Found a SRAM Roam 50 on feebay for $225. Same inner width as the Haven rear, and IMO a better match to local conditions and personal preference. Replaced a set of Trail Kings 2.2R/2.4F with a Maxxis DHR2 EXO 2.3R/Hans Dampf 2.35F while I was at it. (I guess I took this pic before I swapped out the rear tire). Threw on a 70mm Haven Stem and 700mm Haven bar (up from the original 640mm) last year. I think the new bar was 740mm when I first got it, but cut 2cm off each end after the first ride. Old habits die hard, and close trees aren't very forgiving.

The bike's geometry is outdated, even with a -1 degree headset, but it's still fun to ride, and it's paid for.

bike bike.JPG

Yes, it's a 3x9. Try not to be jealous.

Threw together a quick edit to promote a fund raiser that the Sheriff's Office is participating in; 9 block duck race on Clear Creek in Georgetown.
Yes, this has become the only trail I ride because I don't have to drive to get to it.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I gotta tell you, I loved dual-control. I wish people were more open-minded and we still had it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I gotta tell you, I loved dual-control. I wish people were more open-minded and we still had it.

Same. Never understood the vitriolic hatred, although it worked better on rear derailleurs than front.

In today's mostly single chainring mtb world, that wouldn't matter much, anymore.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@MT Skull -- is that trail near Georgetown? I don't recognize it...interested in hearing more if it is open to the public.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier

Like most of these things, I had no complaints when I used it and it worked well enough. Though I think with the breaking demands I now face, the weakness of the design might be more apparent.

I still love and use the Sram XO twist shift on a few bikes. Best most reliable, best feeling shifting I ever used, and it was the only one that allowed micro adjustments on the front derailleur to keep a smooth efficient chain-line

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Well, this isn't mountain biking, but it is riding a mountain bike in 2017.

Casual fridays mean I ride the casual bar bike. If you want to talk about some old school geometry here it is. Long and low. 1995ish Diamondback Team Titanium. Converted to rigid SS because why not.

8C8dyyY.jpg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure what type of trails you ride. But here in the northeast, it's generally pretty easy to find a tree branch or nub from a branch at a reasonable height to hang your bike off of (hung from the seat). It's not ideal, but normally doesn't does the trick.
That's a great idea!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Same. Never understood the vitriolic hatred, although it worked better on rear derailleurs than front.

In today's mostly single chainring mtb world, that wouldn't matter much, anymore.
I didn't like them..but I wouldn't be without road brifters. Just me maybe. I hated Grip Shi(f)t too...to each their own..no disrespect to anyone who disagrees.

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
Wow, good eye!
I think this was the secon or third bike I put it on. It's also got a rapid-rise rear dreailleur (and a rollamajig) and all of it still works!

Front and rear shock have been replaced over the years, but othrwise just a couple of pivot bearings, and the occasional chain/cassette.

The challenge now is finding compatible replacement parts that arent low end junk, but still managing to find what I need.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, this isn't mountain biking, but it is riding a mountain bike in 2017.

Casual fridays mean I ride the casual bar bike. If you want to talk about some old school geometry here it is. Long and low. 1995ish Diamondback Team Titanium. Converted to rigid SS because why not.

8C8dyyY.jpg

And Control Tech seatpost FTW!

Bonus points that it hasn't started bending backwards after twenty years!

Sponsor

Staff online