• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Well, more to the point, it's been raining like crazy. Ground is like soup. :(

you need more hill and/or sand.

Riding KTA tomorrow if you want to escape the soup.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Looking forward to thoughts on switchback handling. Out trails have a lot of them. Thats one trait my bike has to excel at to help my deficencies. :roflmao:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking forward to thoughts on switchback handling. Out trails have a lot of them. Thats one trait my bike has to excel at to help my deficencies. :roflmao:

We have a smattering. I actually like them - especially uphill. For steep low-speed downhill switchbacks, I think the dropper post (my first) is going to help more than any geometry considerations. At the crux moment I tend to be back, low, and inside by design. That's fine, but as the front wheel comes across the fall line I want to drift my butt back over the center line of the bike while staying low. The seat and post can get in the way of the outside thigh in that circumstance. It'll be nice to have them out of the way.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
your 100 percent correct that a dropper is key to DH switchback.

no bike goes around a switch back better.... geo can help longer turn and stability and even shorter less than 90 degree turns but tno such thing as a good switch back bike.

Ron have you tried the inside-outside-inside approach. it sounds bass awkwards until you realize it makes the turn much less sharp than outside-inside-outside which is typical of say autoracing.

Reactions: Ron

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
20170525_155459.jpg
20170524_152942.jpg

I've been bumming around the western slope for a bit over a week. New trails everywhere.....I freaking love it here. Rabbit valley for the central location!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Zippity Do dah^^^^

????

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
your 100 percent correct that a dropper is key to DH switchback.

no bike goes around a switch back better.... geo can help longer turn and stability and even shorter less than 90 degree turns but tno such thing as a good switch back bike.

Ron have you tried the inside-outside-inside approach. it sounds bass awkwards until you realize it makes the turn much less sharp than outside-inside-outside which is typical of say autoracing.

There's a move that I can't do, but I've seen it in action when riding switchbacks with the best techie riders I know...that nose wheelie rear wheel hitch maneuver is gold on even the steepest, tightest switch backs...but like I said, it is move that eludes m abilities.

Dropper posts are the best things since disc brakes.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
practice by tracking hopping.....I can not do it fully though a turn, but I can track hop my rear end into line fairly easily.

B you get a ton o practice as Charlemont is the only place I have ridden in New England with actual switchbacks....

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
practice by tracking hopping.....I can not do it fully though a turn, but I can track hop my rear end into line fairly easily.

B you get a ton o practice as Charlemont is the only place I have ridden in New England with actual switchbacks....

Ha! I don't ride the CTS Warfield/Zoar side trails as much as other places in the region, but there is truth in your words for sure (usually when I am up in that area, I spend most of my time DH'ing at Thunder Mountain!!).

I tend to xc/ trail ride more on the other far eastern Side of the Greater Pioneer Valley rte 2 corridor: Wendell State Forest

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You and me both! Still my nemesis on right turns. Left are fine. They are EASIER on the new bike, but I have the hardest time dropping my left foot in the down position.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Having ridden Horsethief the drop in is really not that hard. The Fish eye lens is making the drop off looking steeper. The other video I saw from Nate on here from Moab was much more intimidating. Diane basically rode the whole trail expect that drop in(which you also climb out as well) Super fun high speed trail though.

Amy I think 18 road would be more your style. Give Joe's a try before you hop on zippidty do dah. Kessel Run and PBR are some amazingly fun lower intermiedate single track though.

Mr Nate Hills again PBR is the first trail

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Having ridden Horsethief the drop in is really not that hard. The Fish eye lens is making the drop off looking steeper. The other video I saw from Nate on here from Moab was much more intimidating. Diane basically rode the whole trail expect that drop in(which you also climb out as well) Super fun high speed trail though.

Amy I think 18 road would be more your style. Give Joe's a try before you hop on zippidty do dah. Kessel Run and PBR are some amazingly fun lower intermiedate single track though.

Mr Nate Hills again PBR is the first trail

:eek: Holy cow, all those jumps! And that one section with the drop off to the right. :eek::eek::eek:
Does look like seriously fun, flowy singletrack, though.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
:eek: Holy cow, all those jumps!

I haven't watched the video, but as long as they're not gap jumps, any jump taken at a slower speed is just a fun roller with maybe that cool unweighting feeling as a bonus. If you do come in too hot, make sure you don't touch the brakes. And slower speed doesn't have to mean slow.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Spent my last couple days riding around rabbit valley. There's a lot of sand but Western Rim might be my favorite ride in the area!

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a good long while for the upper elevation stuff to open in Tahoe

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a couple of awesome rides on the new bike and a couple that were disappointing. (More detailed review to come.) So much is in the head. And a lot of what's not in the head is in trail construction and maintenance! A huge amount of riding here is like the below pic taken yesterday, in a fit of vibration fatigue.There are ways to build trails that reduce the phenomenon, but it's a TON of work, and even then ... well, you can't change local geology, climate, and flora habits. Yet another reason to move west. ogsmile

Roots.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online