• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
you should check out Price, Ut on your drive down. Luke's Trail is so much fun.
I have heard that! Not on this trip--no time, but that trail in Price is on the list for another time. Starting to get into that time of year that riding out in the open sage brush will be too hot.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading to Moab this weekend. My first trip there, I'm ashamed to say after living here for 3 years now...and no, I will NOT be riding the Whole Enchilada. (It's not even entirely opened yet anyway, due to snowpack.)

It's such an amazing place! I went for the first time last fall and rode Mag 7, the Porcupine Rim (couldn't do the Whole Enchilada due to weather that day), and a couple shorter trails near town. Oh, and the food...Quesadilla Mobilla and the Love Muffin (breakfast burritos!!!) were our favorites :). Have fun! (It'll be hard not to.)

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have heard that! Not on this trip--no time, but that trail in Price is on the list for another time. Starting to get into that time of year that riding out in the open sage brush will be too hot.
Moab and surrounding area is amazing and fun........... don't be afraid to walk when needed. Also nobody tells you about the number one issue........... on some trails........SAND............. it will kill your legs, hand them to you in a bag, and extensively shorten the distance you normally ride. Adjust your distances to accommodate depending on which trail you are on.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
ARRGH!!!! Blew out my XT rear derailleur and hanger on my 26".......... 2 mile walk back to the van.......... had to install new rear derail, and hanger......reset, housings,cables and shifting..... also had to make a homemade derailleur hangar adjustment tool (Park Tools DAG-2) ordered via Amazon but didn't get here in time........... Long handle nylon brush, 8mm screw from my old XT derail, some washers, and a combo square..........easy peasy!

Trouble diagnosing a shifting prob?....... Could be your rear derailleur hanger is not in line w/ your cassette. Have it checked even on new bikes.......... Have fun out there and be safe............ I almost got killed on my bike commute Wed............ rode right under a loader about to dump over a ton of material........ didn't even see it coming from behind the barn.................no more blowing through the town garage area for me!!!!!!!!! Went back and apologized to the drivers as TOTALLY my bad!!!!!!! Too fast in a work zone........... :doh:

Reactions: Ron

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's such an amazing place! I went for the first time last fall and rode Mag 7, the Porcupine Rim (couldn't do the Whole Enchilada due to weather that day), and a couple shorter trails near town. Oh, and the food...Quesadilla Mobilla and the Love Muffin (breakfast burritos!!!) were our favorites :). Have fun! (It'll be hard not to.)

Moab and surrounding area is amazing and fun........... don't be afraid to walk when needed. Also nobody tells you about the number one issue........... on some trails........SAND............. it will kill your legs, hand them to you in a bag, and extensively shorten the distance you normally ride. Adjust your distances to accommodate depending on which trail you are on.

Thanks to both of you! I'm easily intimidated and am going with the man friend who has never REALLY mountain biked, so we are hitting Dead Horse Point, then probably Navajo Rocks, but have Klondike area and Bar M (to get acquainted with the type of riding there) on the list. I am hoping to get two rides per day in. We'll see. I'd like to do some other sight seeing, too.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks to both of you! I'm easily intimidated and am going with the man friend who has never REALLY mountain biked, so we are hitting Dead Horse Point, then probably Navajo Rocks, but have Klondike area and Bar M (to get acquainted with the type of riding there) on the list. I am hoping to get two rides per day in. We'll see. I'd like to do some other sight seeing, too.
Wow............ Dead Horse Point is spectacular. Good choice. Also do Arches Natl. Park if you have time ........... esp the short hike to Delicate Arch..............

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd like to do some other sight seeing, too.
Arches is beautiful, and VERY doable for a 1/2 day. Perfect for biking/sightseeing day. If you're into the idea of a 4x4 tour, I would HIGHLY recommend Dave at Extreme 4x4. They do a package with Moab Jet as well...also recommended. Ok, now I just sound like a salesman (I have no ties to either company, they were just two tours that we really really enjoyed).

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Everything is green now in Northern Vermont. Just out of sight in this clip in my dog impeding my progress untill he got the hell out of the way....the consequence of stopping to film.

if you ever in the area and want a tour of what I think are some of the best MTB trails anywhere I am always game.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
you should check out Price, Ut on your drive down. Luke's Trail is so much fun.
I rode Luke's trail in April on my way home from Fruita, CO and it was awesome! Rode Kokopelli and 18 road trails in Fruita that weekend and Luke's was a nice diversion on the drive home.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I got out for a very short ride yesterday on the local gravel multi-use path. Unfortunately weather had me turning back earlier than I'd hoped. However, during the ride I had 1 steepish descent so I wanted to play with how descending with the saddle dropped felt and I managed to drop it too fast/hard and break the mount on my saddle bag. This is what I had. https://www.rei.com/product/881328/timbuk2-especial-seat-pack-medium

I can about guarantee I'll do it again so no interest in replacing with a hard mounted type bag at this point. While I realize that many people ride with packs and carry all repair needs there I do often get out for shortish post-work rides where a pack just doesn't make a lot of sense but I'd still like to have things like a tube/patch/tire levers/multi-tool with me. I'm under the impression that bags that attach to the actual post will interfere with the dropper but maybe I'm wrong?

I really like the idea of these straps or a combination of straps to hold various items to my frame but they seem to be out of stock of everything. http://backcountryresearch.com/

Anyone have a favorite or suggestions?

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
A Voile strap and goggle/sunglasses bag works for me.

So I got out for a very short ride yesterday on the local gravel multi-use path. Unfortunately weather had me turning back earlier than I'd hoped. However, during the ride I had 1 steepish descent so I wanted to play with how descending with the saddle dropped felt and I managed to drop it too fast/hard and break the mount on my saddle bag. This is what I had. https://www.rei.com/product/881328/timbuk2-especial-seat-pack-medium

I can about guarantee I'll do it again so no interest in replacing with a hard mounted type bag at this point. While I realize that many people ride with packs and carry all repair needs there I do often get out for shortish post-work rides where a pack just doesn't make a lot of sense but I'd still like to have things like a tube/patch/tire levers/multi-tool with me. I'm under the impression that bags that attach to the actual post will interfere with the dropper but maybe I'm wrong?

I really like the idea of these straps or a combination of straps to hold various items to my frame but they seem to be out of stock of everything. http://backcountryresearch.com/

Anyone have a favorite or suggestions?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, Moab was AMAZING! Started at Dead Horse Point SP with some sight seeing and a quick lunch to fuel up before the ride. The trail was a HOOT, with only a few sections outside of my comfort zone (and well within it if I knew the trail and was "ready" for what was coming up.) The sections that were marked as "black diamonds" were definitely out of my comfort zone, but they were pretty infrequent. The sand did take me down once, almost like the hidden snow snake.

The second day, hit the Navajo Rocks area. Did 10 miles, with much of it above my skill set. Beautiful trail, great views from high up above Moab. The slick rock, on an "off-camber" section on the Big Mesa trail, got me HARD. Pedal strike on the uphill foot, followed by a sharp dip in the rock, and over I went. It hurt like hell, and my ankle is pretty sore today.

Anyway, after living in UT for 3 years, I cannot believe it took me so long to ride here! I wish we had more of this type of riding up north, because it's definitely a different skill set and skill-building type of stuff. What I struggle most with? Ascending steep pitches that have pedal strikes involved. Riding up steep pitches of slick rock? NO way. Down, yes! Fun!! Anyway, here are some pictures.
(Yes, I did get to Arches and Delicate Arch, and it was awesome!)

Dead Horse Point:
18581867_10213315495828239_781093179023539958_n.jpg

18581566_10213314865052470_916415211387161030_n.jpg

18581988_10213314853932192_3016743437964903690_n.jpg

Riding the slick rock on the Navajo Rocks loop:
18582382_10213325589600577_6968736066542369791_n.jpg

18581698_10213327930099088_7812864896997269618_n.jpg

Delicate Arch:
18581902_10213325419836333_2229551177489356577_n.jpg

I cannot WAIT to go back. I will leave Navajo Rocks out in the future until my skill set is ready for it. I can handle bits and pieces of that much technical riding, but after awhile, it was exhausting and defeating and not particularly good for skill development and confidence. A beautiful ride, for sure!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I do often get out for shortish post-work rides where a pack just doesn't make a lot of sense

We're all different, but I carry my regular pack even for short rides. That way I don't risk forgetting anything, and I call it "training."

But I'm a packrat, and I like having all sorts of crap with me that's not strictly necessary.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I cannot WAIT to go back. I will leave Navajo Rocks out in the future until my skill set is ready for it. I can handle bits and pieces of that much technical riding, but after awhile, it was exhausting and defeating and not particularly good for skill development and confidence. A beautiful ride, for sure!

For pure confidence building and some amazing fun woopdees try Farmington, NM. Well known in mtn bike circles but not so much in the tourist circuit. Was more fun than any place I've ever been. Was like riding a roller coaster! Could not stop smiling and laughing ......... and braking!!!!!! :)

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
The other day it was 92 degrees in Central NJ. The weatherman said it was "noticeably cooler by the shore." He lied. Still too hot a few feet from the ocean.

hs1.JPG

hs2.JPG

Sorry about the blurry pictures. My phone must have been sweating too.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The other day it was 92 degrees in Central NJ. The weatherman said it was "noticeably cooler by the shore." He lied. Still too hot a few feet from the ocean.
Sorry about the blurry pictures. My phone must have been sweating too.

What towns are those in the pics?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Took the newest member of the family out for a little jaunt in the park last week. I was a little skeptical about purchasing a plus bike, but took a leap of faith, and have zero regrets...she has everything I want in a daily driver. Climbs New England roots and rocks like a champ, and resembles a mini monster truck going downhill. More brute than finesse, but I'm not exactly the most graceful person out on the trails, so it's looking like the start of a long and happy relationship :).

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited: