• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Interski Levi

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes I think it's $0.00 for the US. Or maybe bad timing on my side. I saw a post from Derek Tate in the Interski group FB page that it was now available for free on Amazon, but when I went there to dowoad it...well it was .99 cents...I purchased it anyway...
Got any links to the Japan presentation? I’ve just got that quick summary by the GB instructors.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
An interesting thing on vision from Japan
Still trying to figure it out.
I think there’s something to it, as skiing with vision in only one eye this season, I sometimes find I’m leaning too much to the opposite side. Shows up in moguls.

Around 1:15

Here’s the paper-

Piero Gros skied WC SL with one eye. Pretty amazing.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it was Fausto Radici who was blind from one eye...
Pretty sure it was Fausto as he was a legend in out family for only having vision in one eye. Got to see him in a fun after season race at Aapen. The races were held at Buttermilk of all places. As I wrote, it was for fun.

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting series of videos by the Hungary team.
If you click on the title it will take you to the youtube playlist of the 8 of them.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I think it was Fausto Radici who was blind from one eye...
Yup, as described in the pictorial book World Cup Ski Technique. It was thought that he actually anticipated/angulated better on his blind eye side because he had to turn his head further downhill for the upcoming turn.
We used to do a drill where we would close our right eye for a left footer & the left eye for a right footer. I call it the “wink” drill. ogwink

5856B7C9-A37D-4D02-9D74-9F6D211A6ECF.jpeg

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Why is the psia team, Mike Rogan? using the term “snowplow” at Levi?? That’s been out for 25+ years.

0:50

4ster

Instructor
That’s been out for 25+ years.
It’s been Wedge since I began teaching, more like 45yrs!

Perhaps Snowplow is understood more universally. I know people come for first timer lessons & refer to the “snowplow” probably because their Pappy called it that & his Pappy before that haha.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
It’s been Wedge since I began teaching, more like 45yrs!

Perhaps Snowplow is understood more universally. I know people come for first timer lessons & refer to the “snowplow” probably because their Pappy called it that & his Pappy before that haha.
My guess is that is got carried over from Germany, Austria, Switzerland where it was called Schneepflug since the beginning.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, that’s obvious. What’s not is that suddenly, they just cave in and give up their terms? Ridiculous.
What’s the point in sharing what you do to others in the world if you just regurgitate the same words they use? Which of course aren’t the same words because it’s a different language.
Snowplow:

0E5B0B28-3CE6-47C9-9708-8A97BD82CA51.jpeg

C147EA9E-8B0C-4AA3-AA14-955421F4E4BA.jpeg

From the 1941 US Army training film.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
"Snowplow" is a term commonly, widely, and traditionally used in the Italian progression and by all (Italian) skiers, at least, so I understand. We ignore(d), me too, the term "wedge". At least, I was ignorant of it until I came to EpicSki and SkiTalk (prev PugSki). Even then, I did not give it too much thought, I put it down to "simple semantic"...Then when I started down the education path in a specific technical progression, I discovered that "snowplow" and "wedge" are not the same thing, at least in that progression. So, to me too, "snowplow" and "wedge" are now two distinct types of technique. This to say, IMHO, that even non-EL1, if sufficiently in depth with skiing techniques, as all Interski attending demo team members of all ski instructor's federations should be, can understand what a "wedge" is (If I came to understand that...all of them surely can), no need to get back use "snowplow" as a general term.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
My understanding is snowplow is more edge and pressure dominate and wedge is rotary dominate. E.G. not the same thing.
Yes, not the same, which is why snowplow hasn’t been taught in a few decades.

4ster

Instructor
Snowplow
Braking Wedge
Gliding Wedge

3 different things in PSIA vocabulary.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Yes, not the same, which is why snowplow hasn’t been taught in a few decades.
One of the things I learned from participating in a preview of the Lithuanian Ski Instructors Interski presentation was a revelation to me. Most ski areas in North America beginner terrain that is relatively flat so the NA ski associations focus on rotary skills. Austrian ski areas don’t have such flat terrain so they focus on edging skills. So, it isn’t that a gliding wedge is superior to a snowplow—terrain dictates/encourages one pathway versus another.

4ster

Instructor
One of the things I learned from participating in a preview of the Lithuanian Ski Instructors Interski presentation was a revelation to me. Most ski areas in North America beginner terrain that is relatively flat so the NA ski associations focus on rotary skills. Austrian ski areas don’t have such flat terrain so they focus on edging skills. So, it isn’t that a gliding wedge is superior to a snowplow—terrain dictates/encourages one pathway versus another.
Hey @Mike King, this is also true across the US along with the rest of the skiing world as learning terrain & typical snow surfaces vary from region to region & resort to resort. (Reference PSIA’s Centerline for a clear model). Interesting thing is that an experienced teacher will know what approach works best for each of his/her individual students. Sometimes we don’t even need a wedge/snowplow at all or when used correctly it is merely a stepping stone on the way to basic parallel or even carved turns.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Brilliant observation!

Sponsor