• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Interski Levi

James

Out There
Instructor
I can’t imagine these team members pay their own way. Years ago on epic I questioned the value of it when educational materials are lacking.

I assume all these people went. They at least planned on going, but I didn't read every one.
84037AE2-4025-4DBF-8AB9-074DD8A432E1.jpeg

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Regarding what, ski instruction, or broader than that?
Essentially an agreement in the Aosta valley with a Brit tour operator that Brit instructors can instruct at specific times of year [there are other conditions attached]. It's not exactly aligned with brexit [certainly not saying it's wrong but it's pretty left field and poses interesting questions about Aosta vs Rome's powers].
My unasked (until now) question is whether PSIA pays all the expenses for National Team members who go. In the deep dark past I heard that they had to pay their own way to Interski, which explained why so many National Team members did not go.

If it was true back then (not sure and can't remember the source), is it still true now?
Do I know 100%, no but I would be amazed if the demo team and support staff were paying. In addition Interski pays for a quota per nation. I assume that you could check when PSIA publishes their accounts.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I can’t imagine these team members pay their own way. Years ago on epic I questioned the value of it when educational materials are lacking.

I assume all these people went. They at least planned on going, but I didn't read every one.

I ve been to I think 5 Interskis. This a personal view:
  • The demos are remarkable illustrations of skill but I am to be convinced of their educational value
  • The workshops, on snow and classroom are valuable. They're rarely revelatory, but are re assuring; the laws of physics and physiology don't change at borders [best line from Pamporovo Interski was from the kiwis it was easier to change the manual than the laws of physics]. You rarely think wow, I'd never even thought of that but you frequently think ah that's like when we... you often get different perspectives on the same issue [and it can be useful to be able to say to instructors [for example] in France they call this x and place a bit more emphasis on Y than we do
  • The dissemination of that information depends on each nation. I know that as an educator I often reference it on courses i deliver. Beyond that it probably takes a number of years to actively 'push' the information out to the 'coal face' [as opposed to people looking at interski reports].
  • There are meetings that need to be held anyway [assemblies of ISIA, IVSI and so on] so some of the people need to be in the same room

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Essentially an agreement in the Aosta valley with a Brit tour operator that Brit instructors can instruct at specific times of year [there are other conditions attached]. It's not exactly aligned with brexit [certainly not saying it's wrong but it's pretty left field and poses interesting questions about Aosta vs Rome's powers].
Interski?

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interski?
Yes, for those not aware this Interski is a British tour op' [not the conference in the thread title].

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interski specializes in kids ski holidays and employs British ski instructors to teach the kids. As these ski instructors are not fully qualified the Valle d'Aosta’s law on ski instruction requires that they are supervised by local ski instructors, for which a charge is made. Before Covid Interski took around 11,000 kids to the Valle d'Aosta each year so the supervision charges added up substantial sum.

In order to carry on employing British ski instructors Interski will have had to set up a local entity and will be employing the instructors as independent contractors, there are provisions in the TCA which allow for this.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interski specializes in kids ski holidays and employs British ski instructors to teach the kids. As these ski instructors are not fully qualified the Valle d'Aosta’s law on ski instruction requires that they are supervised by local ski instructors, for which a charge is made. Before Covid Interski took around 11,000 kids to the Valle d'Aosta each year so the supervision charges added up substantial sum.

In order to carry on employing British ski instructors Interski will have had to set up a local entity and will be employing the instructors as independent contractors, there are provisions in the TCA which allow for this.
Yes and the additional business for hotels and so on. The supervision in the past has been a bit 'notional' but the ratios have tightened under this new agreement.

The TCA allows it, though I was surprised Aosta could have in effect it's own work permit policy separate from Rome.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’d like to see more of the Polish workshop. Interesting work with bands and sticks.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’d like to see more of the Polish workshop. Interesting work with bands and sticks.

Over the years I ve got a lot more from the 'small' nations workshops than the big 'uns. Nothing revolutionary but lots of I'll give that a go

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I don't know what happened at Interski itself but I do know that the Argentine team prepared for an on-snow workshop with resistance bands to highlight and improve proprioception. I had the opportunity to participate in a clinic where they showed some of what they were planning to present.

The Lithuanian delegation also showed what they were going to present, which was their progression(s) for level 1-4 skiers. It was fascinating for me as they had two separate pathways: on based on rotary skills, the other on edging. Why two pathways? Because the terrain you are teaching on really plays into different pathways. In North America, most of our resorts have gentle slopes that are used for teaching levels 1-4 so we can focus on rotary skills to get started. In Austria, there are few places with a gentle slope for beginners, so they tend to focus on an edging approach.

To me, I found the presentations to be some of the most interesting and useful clinics I attended this season. Perhaps that's because of my skill and experience level. But it seems to me that there are a lot of interesting ideas that potentially get exchanged at Interski. Perhaps the real issue is whether the teams do a good job of taking those ideas and learnings and forming content and channels to share with the broader membership.

Mike

James

Out There
Instructor
I wonder if it’s only the new crop of psia examiners that are going to use “SBI”, presented at Levi. Situation, Behavior, Impact. Of course the best option is to give zero feedback, then there’s no situations for behavior to impact.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I wonder if it’s only the new crop of psia examiners that are going to use “SBI”, presented at Levi. Situation, Behavior, Impact. Of course the best option is to give zero feedback, then there’s no situations for behavior to impact.

You're familiar with the most recent exam evaluation format, no? Seems very clear cut AND comes with feedback.

James

Out There
Instructor
You're familiar with the most recent exam evaluation format, no? Seems very clear cut AND comes with feedback.
Going to be a rough transition for some.
But it’s in the general, and non exam clinics that behavior change will be a challenge.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Going to be a rough transition for some.
But it’s in the general, and non exam clinics that behavior change will be a challenge.
I haven't been paying attention as these new changes have been made.
Links? Yes, I'm a PSIA member. Just tell me where to look.
Or better yet, your description of what's new in the format of exams and of clinics?
What will examiners find difficult to do in the clinics they lead?

James

Out There
Instructor
I’m just talking interaction with people. There are still some who only answer questions with questions, and seem to be irritated that it’s not the early 1990’s when ski instructors had some standing. The idea that they’re now going to get “impact” statements about their behavior is interesting and even comical. I know at least one who has gotten “official” complaints for decades through the proper channels. I can’t say it’s done that much, and personally I don’t have a big issue with it. It is what it is. But there’s not much discussion possible. I’ll get that somewhere else.

Exams are not an easy process to do, I really didn’t have many issues with the whole thing. Issues I’ve had- we get told one thing by the examiner, another by the understudy on tasks to do. Naturally, we listen to the examiner. Hearing about that,(he changed the task after understudy went down), and other issues that had to do with skiing, not teaching, was a real head scratcher.

Being told we had to teach somewhere where both of us said it was very unsafe and we would never teach there. Then in the written eval, laughably, first thing was “safety was a real issue”.

As for feedback in exams, it’s what I hear from others. Going to multiple exams, even exam prep, and never getting what exactly to work on. Not much beyond, “come work with me” at their mountain.

SBI was in that video. Maybe it’s somewhere written now, don’tknow.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I haven't been paying attention as these new changes have been made.
Links? Yes, I'm a PSIA member. Just tell me where to look.
Or better yet, your description of what's new in the format of exams and of clinics?

The evaluation forms are online at the snowpros.org.

I think the expectations are quite clear, though each division will undoubtedly run and prep for their exams differently.

I may or may not join the examiner track next season. I can help answer any questions folks in the PNW might have. Let me know what you think about the eval forms, LF. I can look for a link later... pressed for time at the moment .

Last edited:

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I just purchased the "2023 Interski Congress Report and Review" by Derek Tate on Amazon.
I was curious and for .99 cents...well you can't go wrong, right?

James

Out There
Instructor
I just purchased the "2023 Interski Congress Report and Review" by Derek Tate on Amazon.
I was curious and for .99 cents...well you can't go wrong, right?
It’s now at $0.00, or maybe that’s just the US

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
It’s now at $0.00, or maybe that’s just the US

Yes I think it's $0.00 for the US. Or maybe bad timing on my side. I saw a post from Derek Tate in the Interski group FB page that it was now available for free on Amazon, but when I went there to dowoad it...well it was .99 cents...I purchased it anyway...

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online