• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Interski Levi

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Interski convention is currently going on in Levi. Anyone attending?

^There is a livestream here. Pretty neat.

Triggerboy already made a nice video about the training.

Would be nice to see some tech talks being posted again like in the past years. Always cool to see what others think about skiing.
Any countries/skiers that deserve particular attention? I always enjoy the Swiss skiers myself.

ThomasH

Putting on skis
Skier
Just wondering if instructor dues paid for this ski trip going halfway around the world. I counted 27 US members in one vid alone- that's a lot of coin. A kings ransom basically. And according to one guy in this vid who went he basically got "really validated in what we do" (@ 45:00)- which is a nice thing, but if we're covering all these costs what's in it for us? Will they boost our dues even higher next year to cover it?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Just wondering if instructor dues paid for this ski trip going halfway around the world. I counted 27 US members in one vid alone- that's a lot of coin. A kings ransom basically. And according to one guy in this vid who went he basically got "really validated in what we do" (@ 45:00)- which is a nice thing, but if we're covering all these costs what's in it for us? Will they boost our dues even higher next year to cover it?

I have serious doubts that PSIA paid for interested instructors to go to Levi as spectators. The organization may have paid for National Team members to go to perform. PSIA doesn't have a lot of money to spend on these things.

ThomasH

Putting on skis
Skier
I have serious doubts that PSIA paid for interested instructors to go to Levi as spectators. The organization may have paid for National Team members to go to perform. PSIA doesn't have a lot of money to spend on these things.
Hope you're right

James

Out There
Instructor
Well just the demo team going is a lot of expense. Afaik, regular instructors have to cover their own costs. Some mountains send ss directors.
I’ve long argued it’s a waste of funds to send the demo team.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Well, the Italians stopped going and left ISIA in 2016-2017 but it is rumored that they plan to re-enter this year or the next into ISIA and, of course, attend the mext Interski.
I believe this is substantial in the cross-pollination of idea about ski technique.
The point is , to me, that through these events, idea get exchanged, and direct talking between those who are tasked to set the technical specifications of how we ski, leads to...what? Improvements? Better knowledge?
You name it.
As for what to be seen, I "stumbled" upon a clip on IG I stand corrected : it is on FB (pointing to Vimeo) from APSI about short turns technical comparison. Not all demo teams participated, but it's nice to watch how different organization "read", perform and execute - at least- the three main types of "arches" (turns).
I wish all had participated, and also I wish there were clips of the two other "main" turns (Long and medium arch turns) along with other exercises.
Here's the vimeo clip link :
Short Turns comparison

And on FB
Short Turns comparison

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I think more edited vid will emerge innthe coming days/weeks. The Apsi short turn vid is great.

Who pays? I'll ask Thursday.

Value? Yes, i think so. 2011 lit a fire under PSIA to get their skiing together, but it ignighted a larger move toward guest centered teaching across the board. I think the larger exchange of ideas is very beneficial.

Regular instructors (non-demo team) pay their own way. Everyone I've known who's attended an Interski has enjoyed the experience and felt it was beneficial.

(Let's not let this thread devolve into a 'PSIA sucks' rant.)

Onward!

Last edited:

CarrieNew

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The Interski convention is currently going on in Levi. Anyone attending?

^There is a livestream here. Pretty neat.

Triggerboy already made a nice video about the training.

Would be nice to see some tech talks being posted again like in the past years. Always cool to see what others think about skiing.
Any countries/skiers that deserve particular attention? I always enjoy the Swiss skiers myself.
Thanks for the YouTube link :)

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The comparison videos were fun to watch. Thanks @Nobody .
The synchro skiing reminds me of our granddaughter's synchro skating performances. A bit corny but certainly difficult to do well.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier

best to write this to PSIA directly. Highly doubt that anyone in charge reads this. What is PSIA governance? Do you get a vote on who is who and how they should allocate the budget?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
best to write this to PSIA directly. Highly doubt that anyone in charge reads this. What is PSIA governance? Do you get a vote on who is who and how they should allocate the budget?

The budget and how things are allocated is usually in the fall issue of 32 Degrees, PSIA/AASI's magazine that is sent to all members. I know Ed Younglove always ooenly shared this information while he was chair.

I skied with a demo team member on Thursday, but simply forgot to ask. I think airfare and a per diem is covered, but will double check.

As a member, I'm fine with Interski, and that my membership dues help team members attend. I know that the information trickles down to us. I'm also highly appreciative of other organizations efforts to share their takeaways and allow us to see interski through their eyes and experiences.

I'd say if one fundamentally disagrees with PSIA AASI's expedenditurs in this regard, simply vote with your feet. The other option is to find a way to get involved, build an actionable consensus, and make the changes from within you'd like to see.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Correct. i was there from a different nation and spoke to US 'attendees and team.

The attendees paid their own journey. There would be a small number of non team support staff there too [CEO for example]. That s pretty normal.
Well, the Italians stopped going and left ISIA in 2016-2017 but it is rumored that they plan to re-enter this year or the next into ISIA and, of course, attend the mext Interski.
I believe this is substantial in the cross-pollination of idea about ski technique.
The point is , to me, that through these events, idea get exchanged, and direct talking between those who are tasked to set the technical specifications of how we ski, leads to...what? Improvements? Better knowledge?
You name it.
As for what to be seen, I "stumbled" upon a clip on IG I stand corrected : it is on FB (pointing to Vimeo) from APSI about short turns technical comparison. Not all demo teams participated, but it's nice to watch how different organization "read", perform and execute - at least- the three main types of "arches" (turns).
I wish all had participated, and also I wish there were clips of the two other "main" turns (Long and medium arch turns) along with other exercises.
Here's the vimeo clip link :
Short Turns comparison

And on FB
Short Turns comparison
They are now back in ISIA, with i think it was sud tirol who had been keeping the Italian seat warm consequently out. It was all very last minute. They were however verrrrrry reticent about whether they would remain in FEMPS or not.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Yes, I knew about Sud Tirol staying in ISIA keeping the seat warm, that was pretty nice of them. Fact is, each region has their own self-regulatory organism (Collegio Regionale Maestri di Sci), then all refer to the Collegio Nazionale Maestri di Sci. But in additon, Sud Tirol /Alto Adige being an autonomous province...well, they can do as they see fit in many fields, irregardless.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, I knew about Sud Tirol staying in ISIA keeping the seat warm, that was pretty nice of them. Fact is, each region has their own self-regulatory organism (Collegio Regionale Maestri di Sci), then all refer to the Collegio Nazionale Maestri di Sci. But in additon, Sud Tirol /Alto Adige being an autonomous province...well, they can do as they see fit in many fields, irregardless.
Yep like Aosta etc. You've probably seen that Aosta has made some 'interesting' agreements post brexit.

There were a few FEMPS questions which they swerved around with extensive non replies. I suspect they want to ride both horses.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Correct. i was there from a different nation and spoke to US 'attendees and team.

The attendees paid their own journey. There would be a small number of non team support staff there too [CEO for example]. That s pretty normal.
My unasked (until now) question is whether PSIA pays all the expenses for National Team members who go. In the deep dark past I heard that they had to pay their own way to Interski, which explained why so many National Team members did not go.

If it was true back then (not sure and can't remember the source), is it still true now?

Sponsor

Staff online