• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help needed for "complete beginner" gear (and intro post, hi!)

TS
J

JamesB

Booting up
Skier
Skis, you need to find a pair of skis that is flexible enough to encourage tipping and bending into a turn, but still stiff enough to be stable at a reasonable speed. i.e. maybe two steps down from FIS SL, like cheater SL that is softer than the others. Length between chin and top of head, Tip of nose is ideal. If on a budget, look for consignment sales at ski shops, or used. JUST MAKE SURE THE BINDING IS ON THE CURRENT INDEMNIFIED LIST. I adjust all my bindings, and those for my family, but I also started when a 4-setting non-DIN binding was the latest and greatest (Solomon 202?). It's not rocket science.
100% understand what you mean about flexibility. Apart from the manufacturer saying something like "this is a springy and flexy ski" vs "this is a super-stiff ski" - is there a number or code or something else I can look at to know how flexible a ski is?
Can you clarify what you mean by "FIS SL" and "cheater SL"?

Thanks!

Vestirse

Putting on skis
Skier
100% understand what you mean about flexibility. Apart from the manufacturer saying something like "this is a springy and flexy ski" vs "this is a super-stiff ski" - is there a number or code or something else I can look at to know how flexible a ski is?

Thanks!
soothski.com FTW!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Here you go.
Not the Fischer SC, but the ones nearer the bottom of the list like the Head i. sl would do quite nicely and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg used. Bonus if your wife don't like 'em, good for you to have fun on for a change of pace.

Note: Beware of Advertising BS. I picked up a pair of Dynastar Speed 12's for my son, who admittedly is NOT a never-ever. He was sort of forced to pick a more direct line down some easy blue runs because the crowded slopes combined with his limited skill meant he couldn't make the turns that would have slowed him down (would have brought him too close to other skiers). He found it terrifying. I tried the skis too. Yeah, they were not built for any sort of speed, despite the reviews (should have got the speed 14s). He was fine on other skis at those speeds.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Thanks!
Above post was meant to reply to this post.

TS
J

JamesB

Booting up
Skier
Definitely looking into that.
Edit: Sorry, misread what you said. Unfortunately, at this point, I think that the availability of season rentals is low, and even if it wasn't, the cost doesn't make sense for this season.... The way I figure it - at $275 for the ski lease for next year, plus another $100 in rentals for this year ... If I can get used skis for $150-200, even if they're going back on Craigslist in a year, it's still a better deal.
But if I can find some skis that are coming *off* of rental for the year, that might be a winner.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm pretty sure your local shop will rent you boots and skis for the remainder of this season and next for the same price.

TS
J

JamesB

Booting up
Skier
Yep - my sister went exactly this course. Season rentals + beginner boots (and her own helmet and poles of course). It's a really great set up for her first season so +2 on your suggestion from both of us.
I'm pretty sure your local shop will rent you boots and skis for the remainder of this season and next for the same price.
That's worth looking into!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Edit: Sorry, misread what you said. Unfortunately, at this point, I think that the availability of season rentals is low, and even if it wasn't, the cost doesn't make sense for this season.... The way I figure it - at $275 for the ski lease for next year, plus another $100 in rentals for this year ... If I can get used skis for $150-200, even if they're going back on Craigslist in a year, it's still a better deal.
But if I can find some skis that are coming *off* of rental for the year, that might be a winner.

The way I see it, the decisions you make up front are make or break, especially for never evers. Saving a couple hundred bucks and getting frustration win can mean a missed opportunity of a lifetime of skiing together. Too much at stake.

The first year skiing is the year to look for convenience and optimal outcome. Savings come later, IMHO.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
My suggestion is to go short and shoot for more performance vs what would be built into a beginner ski.

I ski at Jiminy peak. Riding the 6 pack you get to see what set up people have. I notice lots of down staters skiing on older but good skis. Many are new to the sport. Downstate skiers are a durable lot and they buy what they want. Shorter skis are cheater skis for adults but they tend to improve fast going short. I am talking about women, kids and teens.

Rental skis are worth a look.

TS
J

JamesB

Booting up
Skier
OK, if anyone wants to give an opinion ... I found some skis on FB that may be a winner, but trying to find any information on them is like pulling teeth. As far as I can tell, the ski is the Fischer XTR Motiva (link here: https://issuu.com/snowsport_pl/docs/workbook_alpine_13l14_en/57) and I've attached some pics from the ad. As far as I can tell, it looks like they're 10 years old so probably adjustable for the rest of this season ... but the bizarre thing is that I can find almost no information about this ski. Literally a couple of half-built pages on some European ski shops that may have once carried it, and that's it. They're 160s, which might be pushing it on length, but ... I'm open to any thoughts/opinions folks might have. In terms of "are the bindings serviceable", local shop said "shoot me a pic and we'll let you know", so I'm waiting on that.

Thoughts? Close but no cigar? Jump on it?

Attachments

• skis1.jpg
    skis1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 10
  • skis2.jpg
    skis2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 10

Vestirse

Putting on skis
Skier
Slightly taller than I had in mind. I was thinking mid-150s, but might not be bad, hmmm. Is there a pic of the bases?

Sponsor

Staff online