• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Well, based on experience I have two skis I can recommend. The first is the Albritton Sky Hawk. Albritton is a small company based out of Breck. They are 80mm underfoot and I believe they are symmetrical. I'll be honest, this ski blew my mind. It handles just about all conditions very well. Very poppy and explosive from turn to turn.

The other I can wholeheartedly recommend is the Rippah from RMU. This ski is 92 underfoot and handles all conditions very well. Wood core, symmetrical, twin tip; it could be your daily driver.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 1534

I have a short video somewhere from Land of the Giants. I will see if I can find it.
Is this the video you're talking about? I think the snow was getting a little tacky at that time of day.
But I like how you can break this down.

This makes me misty eyed. :)

Thanks for the post Trish. I actually forgot all about this clip.

I know I mentioned in a previous post that I would add some videos to clarify some things. This video demonstrates a Misty 720, or a forward flipping 360. I'll be perfectly honest, it isn't the best demo because I was attempting this trick off a natural feature in pretty variable slush. My takeoff is very early, which ultimately contributes to me cutting off my jump. But, that being said, it does demonstrate how important arms can be in generating the energy needed to flip or spin. Definitely one of my favorite tricks to do and one that really isn't done too often anymore (I'm an old timer in the newschool world).
Even though the snow was getting a bit tacky, I like how you can slow this down and see elements of it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great post @Bob Barnes! I think starting by defining some freestyle vocabulary is a great way to get the ball rolling here. Although I probably should start by saying that there is now a distinction in the industry between "freestyle" and "freeride". Freestyle generally refers to competitive moguls, while freeride encompasses park, pipe, and big mountain. When I started the thread, I used "freestyle" because I assumed it would resonate a little stronger with the crowd here. But generally speaking, the skiing I participate in, coach, and will most likely be discussing here falls into the realm of "freeride".

I'm obviously not going to sit here and define every single trick out there, as there are probably hundreds, if not thousands of variations. But I will attempt to describe all of the fundamental tricks upon which all others have evolved. Lets get started!

When I begin to teach someone who is new to the freeride world, I break down tricks into three basic categories; spins, flips, and grabs. Spins should be pretty self explanatory. They are horizontal or x-axis rotations that generally increase by 180* (i.e. 180s, 360s, 540s, 720s, 900s, 1080s, etc.). The only caveat here is that spins can be off-axis, meaning that the skier's body does not necessarily need to be straight up and down (think helicopters back in the day). Today, we often do off-axis spins which fall into two categories; cork and bio. A cork spin is an off-axis spin where the skier's upper body leans back towards the takeoff of the jump, while a bio is an off-axis spin where the skier's upper body leans forward towards the landing of the jump. These off-axis spins have become much more common today than straight spins.

Now an off-axis rotation is only a spin so long as the skier's feet do not travel above his or her head. The second that begins to happen we are now doing an inverted aerial, which leads us to our flip category. Flips are vertical or y-axis rotations in which the skiers feet travel over his or her head. Backflips, frontflips, and sideflips are probably the most familiar to most. But this concept of off-axis rotations applies to flipping as well. Flat spins, misty flips, rodeos, and D-spins, are all types of flips (trick names can be somewhat misleading, probably because they were invented by kids). Bob had mentioned a D-spin in his post so lets start there. A D-spin, named after Mike Douglas, is essentially a back full, or a backflip 360. It is called a spin, but the second the skier's feet travel over his head, it is technically a flip. Now if anyone recalls the 2002 Winter Olympics, you may remember when Jonny Moseley debuted the "dinner roll". At the time, FIS prohibited inverted aerials in competition. Moseley was attempting to get around this rule by turning the inverted D-spin, into an actual spin. The "dinner roll" name never really caught on in the freeski community. We now refer to this trick simply as a cork 720; two off-axis rotations in which the skier's feet never travel above his head.

A flat spin (again another misnomer), is actually a flip. It is essentially an off-axis backflip where the skiers feet travel over one shoulder, rather than directly over the head. A flat spin develops into a rodeo as the skier begins to add more spin to this flip. I think this may be a difficult concept to explain in words, so I will eventually get around to posting some videos that demonstrate some of these subtle differences. But for now, think of rodeos as an off-axis backflip with a spin.

Finally the misty flip. This trick is essentially the opposite of a rodeo; it is an off-axis frontflip with a spin. Again, I will post videos for clarification.

Moving on to grabs. A grab is anytime the skier physically touches one or both of their skis with their hand. There are so many grab variations that it would be futile to attempt to describe all of them here. Perhaps we can do a "grab of the day" type thread where I introduce and describe a new grab each day! But Bob had mentioned a mute grab, so I will start there. A mute grab is a classic that we have all seen at some point. Jonny Moseley may have really put this one on the map when he introduced the mogul community to the 360 mute in the 1998 Winter Olympics. A mute grab involves reaching across the body and grabbing the outside edge of your ski. For example, I can reach with my right hand and grab my left ski. When I say outside edge, I simply mean the edge that is furthest from my hand (not to be confused with inside and outside as it refers to turning). This is important to understand because the world of grabs is riddled with subtle nuances and variations. If I were to reach with my right hand and grab the "inside edge" (i.e. the closer edge) of my left ski, I would be doing a critical, not a mute.

I'm going to finish up here with a very quick explanation of switch skiing. "Switch" refers to skiing backwards. I can takeoff a jump switch or I can land a trick switch. Or I can takeoff and land switch, like when I'm doing a switch 360 or switch 720. In a later discussion, I will attempt to explain how taking off switch can fundamentally change our understanding of certain off-axis rotations. For example, the motion I use to do a misty flip is the same motion I use to do a switch rodeo. The reason is because these tricks are essentially opposites of one another. When I turn around and do a misty flip backwards, I am now doing a rodeo. Make sense?? Believe me, I do this stuff everyday and I'm sometimes confused about certain tricks.

Anyway, I hope that helps to clarify a few things and I hope that it can help contribute to a substantive conversation about this stuff. I've tried to post these types of threads elsewhere and they are often shutdown or lose momentum. Please post any questions you may have as I'm sure my abbreviated description of this stuff has left many of you more confused than before!
With Bob's comment, I had to go back and see what post he was talking about. This is definitely a post that should be reposted in an archive.
:thumb:

JsNeagle

Skiing's easier if you're in the air
Industry Insider
Well, based on experience I have two skis I can recommend. The first is the Albritton Sky Hawk. Albritton is a small company based out of Breck. They are 80mm underfoot and I believe they are symmetrical. I'll be honest, this ski blew my mind. It handles just about all conditions very well. Very poppy and explosive from turn to turn.

The other I can wholeheartedly recommend is the Rippah from RMU. This ski is 92 underfoot and handles all conditions very well. Wood core, symmetrical, twin tip; it could be your daily driver.

I believe the Rippah is 98mm underfoot and is sold out for the season, unless RMU decides to make more. Very cool shape.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
What's the best 90mm or narrower twin tip for learning some of these moves, skiing bumps and skiing around the hill?

If you happen to be looking for a ski ~185cm, the Kastle XX90 James is on super sale at Sierra Trading Post (<$200). 90mm underfoot and given it's Kastle background I bet it is a well-rounded performer in bumps/trees/groomers.

kickerfrank

Let's Talk Business
Manufacturer
I haven't had the cojones to take a jump switch. Let's consider a straight air. (Taking off and landing switch without any rotation) Any tips on how to do this. I'm concerned about c.g. position.

When I go off a jump regular I tend to put my hands/poles out a little bit in front of me to prevent landing on my tails. What do you do going switch?

The last concern I had was how to spot take offs and landings. It's a little bit harder when going backwards.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^ Every straight air is easier when you do a trick. Pop, trick, land is easier than pop.....windmill... land hahaha. I would think that front 180s and switch 180s would be the way to learn switch airs with switch landings, and again I think it is way harder to do either straight regular or straight switch airs without a trick than with one. The trick forces your mind to better manage equilibrium.

Full disclosure I am not a fan of hitting anything switch hahahaha.. But, I have done plenty of air in the past.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
I haven't had the cojones to take a jump switch. Let's consider a straight air. (Taking off and landing switch without any rotation) Any tips on how to do this. I'm concerned about c.g. position.

When I go off a jump regular I tend to put my hands/poles out a little bit in front of me to prevent landing on my tails. What do you do going switch?

The last concern I had was how to spot take offs and landings. It's a little bit harder when going backwards.

There are a lot of prerequisites to having the ability to do a switch straight air (more commonly referred to as a zero spin):

1. Strong switch skiing ability. You should be able to comfortably ski switch (i.e. make varying turn shapes at relatively high speeds). This is step one.

2. You should be able to land switch, so do a lot of 180s. You should be able to do a 180 without really thinking and when you land you should be controlled.

3. Take off switch, so learn switch 180s. This is where things start to get a little tricky (not that skiing switch is a cup of tea). The key to hitting a jump switch is being very comfortable and relaxed to start. Approach the lip with your knees bent in an athletic stance with your weight centered, not leaning too far forward or too far back. With any spin, but especially switch, patience is very important. If you rush the spin you can catch and edge on the lip (one of the worst feelings ever when spinning switch)

4. The actual zero spin... It might sound relatively straight forward, but a proper zero spin on a big jump is one of the more challenging tricks on skis. Everyone has their own little tricks, but I prefer doing a big shifty in the direction that I also prefer looking over my shoulder when skiing switch. So, for me, it's hit the jump looking over my left shoulder. I try to spot the landing as soon as I leave the take off. When I'm comfortable in the air I'll shifty my lower body towards the landing, bringing my skis to 90 degrees. This in turn actually shifts your upper body slightly more uphill, but you should still see the landing in your peripheral vision. When the landing is getting closer, I'll release the shifty bringing my whole body (in theory) back to the same position it was in when I left the take off.

In my opinion adding a shifty or a shifty with a grab makes zero spins much easier. The "no motion" zero spin where you essentially ski off the jump switch, don't move at all, and then land switch, is typically very blind and extremely awkward.

Hope that makes some amount of sense. If it's something you really want to learn you'll need to spend a lot of time just skiing switch. Start doing tiny zero spins off rollers, knuckles, etc and eventually they'll start to feel somewhat comfortable.

kickerfrank

Let's Talk Business
Manufacturer
There are a lot of prerequisites to having the ability to do a switch straight air (more commonly referred to as a zero spin):

1. Strong switch skiing ability. You should be able to comfortably ski switch (i.e. make varying turn shapes at relatively high speeds). This is step one.

2. You should be able to land switch, so do a lot of 180s. You should be able to do a 180 without really thinking and when you land you should be controlled.

3. Take off switch, so learn switch 180s. This is where things start to get a little tricky (not that skiing switch is a cup of tea). The key to hitting a jump switch is being very comfortable and relaxed to start. Approach the lip with your knees bent in an athletic stance with your weight centered, not leaning too far forward or too far back. With any spin, but especially switch, patience is very important. If you rush the spin you can catch and edge on the lip (one of the worst feelings ever when spinning switch)

4. The actual zero spin... It might sound relatively straight forward, but a proper zero spin on a big jump is one of the more challenging tricks on skis. Everyone has their own little tricks, but I prefer doing a big shifty in the direction that I also prefer looking over my shoulder when skiing switch. So, for me, it's hit the jump looking over my left shoulder. I try to spot the landing as soon as I leave the take off. When I'm comfortable in the air I'll shifty my lower body towards the landing, bringing my skis to 90 degrees. This in turn actually shifts your upper body slightly more uphill, but you should still see the landing in your peripheral vision. When the landing is getting closer, I'll release the shifty bringing my whole body (in theory) back to the same position it was in when I left the take off.

In my opinion adding a shifty or a shifty with a grab makes zero spins much easier. The "no motion" zero spin where you essentially ski off the jump switch, don't move at all, and then land switch, is typically very blind and extremely awkward.

Hope that makes some amount of sense. If it's something you really want to learn you'll need to spend a lot of time just skiing switch. Start doing tiny zero spins off rollers, knuckles, etc and eventually they'll start to feel somewhat comfortable.

Great post. Thanks for the advice. In the mid-atlantic the runs get a little boring so I do a lot of switch skiing. I also land switch on jumps a lot bot have not tried taking off that way.

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Great post. Thanks for the advice. In the mid-atlantic the runs get a little boring so I do a lot of switch skiing. I also land switch on jumps a lot bot have not tried taking off that way.

Tons of great advice. As SkiEssentials mentioned, a zero spin is a very difficult trick. I agree that the best switch trick to learn first is the switch 180. Approach the jump with a balanced switch stance, looking over one shoulder. You should be looking the same direction that you intend to spin. I prefer to spin to the right when taking off switch, so I look over my right shoulder. I also try to lead with my right tail so that I can open up my hips and rotate my upper body. As you come up the lip of the jump, keep your knees bent and your chest tall. Because your upper body is already rotated in the direction you intend to spin, when you leave the lip your lower half should immediately begin to follow. Engage your core and try to bring your knees up towards your chest. Switch 180s are very easy, but a little nerve racking at first. If you are comfortable skiing switch and landing tricks backwards, the switch 180 should come pretty easy. Hope that helps!

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I've never been comfortable in the air so I've confined my tricks to the whirly twirly stuff close to the ground. There have only been a couple of times I've seen others doing the same. Once was when I rode the lift with three young guys who wanted to join me and practice some things they had been trying previously. The guy with the AT setup could do Reuels but he had to pass on the single ski spins.

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
Do you have any tips for simply getting more comfortable in the air in general? I enjoy hitting little lips and moguls and stuff, but anything bigger than a couple feet and I chicken out. I've hit the terrain park in search of a more uniform takeoff and landing, but it's mostly jibs and rails, rather than jumps. I think there's really only one actual jump in the park. I'd like to just go for it and hit bigger air, on cornices and bigger lips around the mountain, but at the same time I know that hitting a jump with anything less than full confidence is a bad way to do it.

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
A couple of things could help. For starters, if you have access to a trampoline it will dramatically improve your air awareness. The repetition of jumping up and down will help you develop some muscle memory to maintain control as you travel through the air. Staying in control requires a few things; it requires timing, physical strength, and confidence. Perhaps the most important thing is confidence. You need to approach every jump thinking that you are a boss and you are going to own it. Timing is probably the next most important thing. Two seconds in the air feels A LOT longer than it actually is. Convince yourself that you're NOT going as fast as you think you are, you're NOT as high in the air as you think you are, and you're NOT traveling through the air as long as you think you are. Seriously. Watch a video of yourself hitting a jump. Its never as big as it feels when you have adrenaline coursing through your body.

The next thing that might help is following somebody who knows what they are doing. Matching their speed and technique may help to boost your confidence. This is honestly a lot of what I do when I coach. With kids (or adults for that matter) who have hit an intermediate plateau, I spend a lot of time skiing in front of them. Following an "expert" often gives people the tenacity to try things they might not try on their own. Some people are self motivated and will go out and eat it over and over on a jump or rail until they learn exactly what NOT to do. But most people are more risk averse. For those that aren't willing to take quite as many slams, it helps to link up with someone who can communicate the movements so that you can approach each feature with a task in mind and the confidence to accomplish that task successfully.

With some practice and proper coaching you will probably begin to feel more comfortable in the air than you do on snow....a lot less resistance. :)

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
Thanks, Dean. That whole follow-the-expert thing really took my mountain biking to the next level, and I started to progress on my own again after following and trying to copy guys who get paid to ride and race. Looks like it's time to tap into the brain of my buddy who spends just as much time in the air as he does on the snow. I've skied with him before, but that day just wasn't working out for me and the lowlight of the day was when I tripped on a flat spot and crashed. I'll keep at it, been having great days on snow since then.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Do you have any tips for simply getting more comfortable in the air in general? I enjoy hitting little lips and moguls and stuff, but anything bigger than a couple feet and I chicken out. I've hit the terrain park in search of a more uniform takeoff and landing, but it's mostly jibs and rails, rather than jumps. I think there's really only one actual jump in the park. I'd like to just go for it and hit bigger air, on cornices and bigger lips around the mountain, but at the same time I know that hitting a jump with anything less than full confidence is a bad way to do it.

@dean_spirito wrote an amazing essay about this on Epic. It really helped me (although not as much as having the opportunity to get a few pointers from Dean in the baby park at Loveland! It was enlightening to see him do the little jumps in full control. Made me realize how much most people are flailing on the tiniest of jumps.)

Dean's post:
http://www.epicski.com/t/131752/help-me-overcome-my-irrational-fear-of-drops/30#post_1822246

Another good one in that thread (not sure if Mr. tetonpwdrjunkie posts here):
http://www.epicski.com/t/131752/help-me-overcome-my-irrational-fear-of-drops#post_1818322

Hey Dean, I don't remember the name of your Taos friend we met in Loveland, but do you know if he'll be skiing Colorado this season? He was crazy fun, and so nice as he encouraged us on our little jump explorations.

Sponsor

Staff online