• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
More like, watch the dude knuckle and make sure you go faster than that!

#crgildart for natural features it's really taking a look at the feature and LZ closely and trying to marry that information to what/how your prior experience suggests you should approach.

For many features there is also a conservative way and a more aggressive way to hit them (usually involving different speeds) so like most things, first crack = more conservative. I

Ya there are dozens of minute calculations and corrections going on in my head as I approach and pop... how fast, shave speed?, pop hard or suck it up some? What I can say is for me a little over aggressive usually ends better than overly defensive. I have to feel I'm commanding the air when leaving the ground. If I find myself defending as I leave the lip/edge I'm usually not in command on the landing and not squared up right, either back seat or worse..

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
I think the "Dropping Cliffs" thread is a more appropriate place for this discussion. I created a separate thread because cliffs and other natural features are totally different animals from meticulously maintained park jumps with designated landing zones.

That said, I agree with @hbear

Park jumps are fairly black and white; you are given a takeoff and a landing. You can watch people hit the jump to figure out the appropriate amount of speed needed to land in the sweet spot.

Natural features are more of a gray area. That's what makes them fun. They give people the freedom to interpret the terrain in their own way.

Again, I don't want to get too much into this here because I think it is a discussion for a different thread. But here is a quick example.....

This is a popular feature at Arapahoe Basin. If you look closely, you can see tracks in the snow where others have landed. For a lot of people, they see these rocks as separate obstacles, often referred to as a "double". They will carry very little speed and take two separate airs. I like to ski fast and take chances, so when I look at this feature I see one big air. I'll ski into this with a huge amount of speed and attempt to clear both cliffs in one shot. For me personally, cliffs are more fun when there is more risk involved. Being forced to jump over obstacles leaves very little room for error. The riskier the line, the greater the rush. But that's just me. Everyone is different. And the big mountain is the perfect venue to express yourself through your skiing. It is less about the maneuver you are performing in the air and more about how you got into the air in the first place and where you intend to go from there.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ya there are dozens of minute calculations and corrections going on in my head as I approach and pop... how fast, shave speed?, pop hard or suck it up some? What I can say is for me a little over aggressive usually ends better than overly defensive. I have to feel I'm commanding the air when leaving the ground. If I find myself defending as I leave the lip/edge I'm usually not in command on the landing and not squared up right, either back seat or worse..
Being aggressive at take off shouldn't be confused with speed of approach. You can still be aggressive at take off going at a slower speed. Speed factors in how high and how far you travel.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Being aggressive at take off shouldn't be confused with speed of approach. You can still be aggressive at take off going at a slower speed. Speed factors in how high and how far you travel.

100% agree. If I come in too hot and realize it as I hit the kicker that panic puts me on defense and I suck it up instead of a solid and deliberate pop to take command. I'll be desperately rolling the windows down, up, sideways LOL. A little slower with a SOLID POP is much better than a little too fast with a weak pop or defensive recoil.

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
So what is everybody working on this season?

For me personally, I plan to really work on cleaning up my 360s in both directions, incorporating new and interesting grabs. I also really want to dial in my switch 540s and switch cork 5s, with the intention of possibly taking them to a natural feature.

At the moment, our parks in CO are limited to rail features so I'm currently getting my confidence back up and working on some of the tricks I used to do as a young guy.

How about everybody else?

JsNeagle

Skiing's easier if you're in the air
Industry Insider
Still really want to do a dub 10 to snow. Did some work on air bags over the summer/fall and feeling a lot better about it now than I ever have before. My body still wants to do the 12 rotation sometimes, but I'm setting the trick with a lot more positive energy now, so feeling pretty good.

I'm also going to try to learn some new rail tricks. It's been a while since I've really progressed on rails and would like to get all 8 270s to a down rail, but that might be wishful thinking.....

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
More seriously

- Switch 1s. Occasionally there is something I want to throw a 1 on, but don't want to ride it out switch on landings. A switch 180 off cornices into the high alpine at Breck is the goal.
- Flow. I want to stop pausing before features that I know. Get better at laying down turns and hitting the drop right in rhythm.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That airbag looks fun. What do the landings feel like? do they hurt if you miss a bit. Or a lot?

I'm terrified of the big park jumps. But a fall there might be a season ender at my age.

So what is everybody working on this season?

Before my hip, I ustacould throw a little 360 off the right bump - maybe I'll try to get that back. Need some airbag time before trying the big jumps?

Eric

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
That dub 10 looks really sweet. Seems like the last 3 might be a little flippy, and that could be what is pulling you around to 12. I think if you can flatten out that last rotation and open up a bit sooner, you should have no problem floating that to 10.

I definitely recommend dialing in the 10, before taking it to 12. The patience at takeoff and the control to land forward are super important when you go to trip 14.

JsNeagle

Skiing's easier if you're in the air
Industry Insider
That airbag looks fun. What do the landings feel like? do they hurt if you miss a bit. Or a lot?

It can definitely hurt if you don't land right. I would say whiplash is the biggest issue, at least for me. I under-rotated a few things and it definitely rocked my neck/head.

That dub 10 looks really sweet. Seems like the last 3 might be a little flippy, and that could be what is pulling you around to 12. I think if you can flatten out that last rotation and open up a bit sooner, you should have no problem floating that to 10.

I definitely recommend dialing in the 10, before taking it to 12. The patience at takeoff and the control to land forward are super important when you go to trip 14.

I know it's fairly common, but I've done a fair amount of 12s to snow. The rotation to me is so much different. When I first started seeing people do dub 12s I thought "Oh that's just a cork 7 and then you keep holding your grab," which worked for me. Dub 10 to me is much harder, and I agree with you that it's best to learn dub 10 first. Just wish I knew that 10 years ago and had access to the same training tools.

I struggle a little bit on the ramps too. On snow I almost never set tricks that flippy, but was having a hard time figuring out how to edge (or not edge) off the takeoff.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Glad I found this thread!

I want to be able to land a straight jump w/o flailing. I will also work on 360's and skiing switch.

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier