• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Finally needed a sled ride; season over :-(

James

Out There
Instructor
So sorry to hear Kevin. Real bummer.
I might have to go back to wearing the old jacket... I never got injured wearing that one! :duck:
Let's not get carried away here. I'd argue the problem was the delay in burning the old one.

Look what that old jacket did!
And that won't heal like the arm.
image.jpg

Clearly the snow gophers are responsible for the current crisis.

See, look here a beacon on the snowy landscape!
image.jpg

Now this jacket modeled by @dean_spirito I wouldn't recommend for you. Don't think the gophers would like it either.

image.jpg

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
So sorry to hear Kevin. Real bummer.

Let's not get carried away here. I'd argue the problem was the delay in burning the old one.

Look what that old jacket did!
And that won't heal like the arm.
View attachment 5231

That wasn't the infamous "old" jacket though... That was just a windbreaker I had for spring outside stuff. A quick look through the closet shows that I don't have the pictured one anymore. The "old" jacket (which I do still have) was this:
IMG_0015.jpg

I agree though that the @dean_spirito look is beyond me to pull off.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bummer, Kevin. Sending you some virtual home cooking from Los Angeles. As good time as any to start learning to be ambidextrous and get that right hemisphere more developed!

How long will the recovery take? Will you be able ride your road bike by the summer?

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Bummer, Kevin. Sending you some virtual home cooking from Los Angeles. As good time as any to start learning to be ambidextrous and get that right hemisphere more developed!

How long will the recovery take? Will you be able ride your road bike by the summer?

Hospital said three weeks, local orthopedist said four weeks. Accident was March 6th... so, late March, early April? I have another ortho appt tomorrow... hopefully he gives me an earlier rather than later date. :cool:

I broke my left arm in the same place years ago (so now I match again!) during a bike crash. I got back on the bike two days after they freed me from my sling that time. The docs weren't amused, but I couldn't take not riding anymore. That was in the middle of summer though... Hopefully I get cleared fairly quickly for spin classes or something.

Kev do you have a hard cast on?

No, the break is too high on the bone for a cast, so I just have a sling. I can take it off to shower and periodically to exercise the elbow a bit.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Hey Kevin, how you doin?
Got car yet?

I visited with the orthopedist today... Apparently my waving a stick at my arm while saying brackium emendo did not miraculously heal my arm. I am apparently a muggle. Oh well, it was worth a shot. :) I did start simple at home physical therapy today though... it's agonizing, but it's another step on the road to recovery.

The car apparently sits at the @SkiEssentials shop in Stowe... Josh was able to move it the other day... So now I just wait for the shippers to move it back here. Between uber, friends and colleagues I'm able to get around ok.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I ran into a ski patroller friend today. He says, "hey I met your friend Kevin last week". I guess that counts as meeting, right?

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
I ran into a ski patroller friend today. He says, "hey I met your friend Kevin last week". I guess that counts as meeting, right?

Was it Keith? That's the only one whose name I remember now. We were trying to figure out logistics about getting me, the car, etc. moved so I was doing some name dropping of you and Josh. I seem to remember you were out of town that day, but we were able to get in touch with Josh.

Patrol was joking that I could just stop in and say hi if I wanted to meet them. I'll keep that in mind for next season. :)

In all seriousness, Stowe patrol did a great job. It's obviously not "fun" being hurt, but they made the whole process as pleasant as can be.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Morrisville hospital (where I was first taken) they said that my arm would be in a sling for three weeks. My local orthopedist said four weeks.

This past Sunday marked three weeks. I see the ortho again on Friday. I'm hoping for good news... i.e., no need to wear the sling and you can drive again. Living in suburbia and not being able to drive sucks. :( Makes me realize how much of a car-centric country we're in. Friends and uber have gotten me around though.

Good news is that I've been keeping up with my therapy exercises -- five times a day, five minutes a day -- and I have about half range of motion back. I don't know anything about shoulders, but half range at this point so that seems like a good start. Amazing what I can convince myself of :thumb:

Anyway. Friday, 10AM, eastern time. Think positive thoughts. :cool:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the update - good luck Friday!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
You take the arm out of the sling five times a day, five minutes each time, right? That sounds good. It's important to keep it moving so it won't freeze up.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you for Friday's appointment.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
You take the arm out of the sling five times a day, five minutes each time, right? That sounds good. It's important to keep it moving so it won't freeze up.

Yep, that's the drill.

I broke my left arm in the same manner years ago (although that one was caused by a bike crash). At the time I didn't do any sort of upper body workouts, so once therapy got my arm back to a "functional" state, I pretty much stopped with therapy which was a mistake.

Now it's my right arm (and I'm a righty) and I've been doing cross-fit classes at the gym, so I have a much better "mark" to get back to other than just "feels good again".

Besides, I hear that the Red Sox pitching sucks this year... Gotta get my fastball back! When does the season start? :0

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Well, I'm out of my sling, or at least I only need to wear it for comfort. It feels very strange to not be wearing.it...

At any rate, on to physical terrorism. I mean physical therapy.

Still can't drive for another week or so.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Well, I'm out of my sling, or at least I only need to wear it for comfort. It feels very strange to not be wearing.it...

At any rate, on to physical terrorism. I mean physical therapy.

Still can't drive for another week or so.

I bought a new car in 2007 while doing physical therapy (cast on left leg.) !
Wife drove one and bought it. I told the salesman "I'll buy what she bought."

Couldn't drive so the salesman drove to my house. It sat parked for 4 weeks.
We still have the 2 Prius'es !

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Upcoming foot surgery on left foot. I drive stick. Good thing I can work from home pretty effectively, though I hate doing meetings remotely.

Sponsor

Staff online