• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite Corn Skis

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Never tried them and strangely enough have no desire too ;)

You must be reallly good then to ski straight skis in slop. I would love to see some video of your greatness.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Josh, 46'ish years on straight skis does teach you a thing or two, switching the shaped just added to the experience and understanding. Made me better on both to be fair as it added understanding.

For me the straights in those conditions do not rise as much or catch as easy. They don't float as much as the newer skis, as such remain in contact with the more stable and predictable base snow. Less surprises.

Wish I had video to share.

At some point would love to ski with you and see what you can teach me, as I always willing to improve. Maybe I might surprise you. ;)

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
ummm you know what else lets get sloppy.....

a 30 meter 100 under foot ski with tip and tail rocker.

Slarvy. Sloppy lacks intention :).

Although I wonder if you need to be @ 30m if there is a lot of splay front and rear (shorter sidecut) - most @ 100mm skis don't have a ton, but some do along with a mid-radius).

Lubricated snow (whatever the name we give it) allows you to hang the tails out for as long as you want, so I want a more center mounted waggy ski that will also engage quickly enough if you want to get 'em up - 100mm (ish). Being able to vary between surfing and holding edge, turn to turn, is what makes these spring conditions so sublime.

I'm planning on getting on the Salomon QST 106 on a sloppy good day in the next couple of weeks, because the ski I want to daily drive is that mix between anything surfy (including all good spring stuff and soft chop) and powder.

I adore the Rocker2 100 as a spring ski (fairly stiff at the tip in a 186), but over 6" of powder and I start wanting a bit more ski and softer tip.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I'm liking my new 202 Fischer Ranger 108, they just iron out everything in front of them... and anything in front of them doesn't stay there for long.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm liking my new 202 Fischer Ranger 108, they just iron out everything in front of them... and anything in front of them doesn't stay there for long.
They're 202 cm long?? A true slayer.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@James was havoing fun on his Stormrider 95's today and I was enjoying the Renoun Z90's. I got my ex-Father-in-law on the Z90 and je was skiing it at speeds he normally reserves for his groomer zoomer skis.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Not a ski that gets a lot of love here but I scored a deal on a set of Elan Amphibio 84xti’s . They are great and handled just about anything I threw at them. Nice and stiff.
They were really good in the corn ,crud and hard-pack. They even did well in about 12” of fresh. I still like to break out my old K2 Axis now and then too . They are a lot of fun in the spring corn!
Ultimately it’s whatever I’m strapped to at the time because I always have fun skiing. Unless I’m not having fun but then I’m not skiing either.

Elan 84 and 88's don't ever get the fanfare they deserve, great skis.

I go for my Brahmas for spring hardpack turning to corn and glop or I'll start in the titans and switch.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I'm torn between Völkl Racetiger Speedwall GS UVO and the new Blizzard Brahma CA... tough. But since I own the Völkl and not the Brahma, i'll just ski the Germans for now. Oh, how miserable ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seems to me that all skis are good on good corn, but I had there best corn run of my life last Thursday and my Motive 95s made me feel like I was Ted Ligety.
Corn really is "hero snow". I feel like I could ski anything in it.
I had the chance to ski the Renoun Z-90's in corn this past week, but I've had some incredible corn days on the Blizzard Samba, the Santa Ana 100's, DPS Uschi 82, and....I think I need to do more testing on a variety of skis. :D

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Corn 'tastes like chicken" to most skis. ogsmile

James

Out There
Instructor
There's a difference between untracked groomed or gravity leveled corn and the choppy sea of corn it can become. Both are great but the first is up there with untracked pow in the amazing sensations it provides.

Last Thursday Sugarbush had a short pitch at the bottom of groomed corn that lasted nearly all day because of it's location. Best snow on the mountain. The next day it was slaughtered for the god of pond skimming.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The Fischer 207 that we saw at HQ this summer had a hull form tip and a swallow tail with a skeg. It was 10 or 15 years old though.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
IMG_5004.JPG

FastCorn. Yum.

My skis are an improper shape. MeatMissleCorn*

*non-GMO**

**trust us***

***really

Sponsor

Staff online