• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite Corn Skis

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Dynastar Cham 97 and Cham 107 work great in/on corn snow. The wide shovel with tip rocker and the pintail work great.

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not a ski that gets a lot of love here but I scored a deal on a set of Elan Amphibio 84xti’s . They are great and handled just about anything I threw at them. Nice and stiff.
They were really good in the corn ,crud and hard-pack. They even did well in about 12” of fresh. I still like to break out my old K2 Axis now and then too . They are a lot of fun in the spring corn!
Ultimately it’s whatever I’m strapped to at the time because I always have fun skiing. Unless I’m not having fun but then I’m not skiing either.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hmm ... seems to me that almost any ski is going to work nicely in good corn. Nobody has turned up yet to recommend a FIS slalom ski, but it's only a matter of time.

I'll take a GS with DEEP structure for fast groomer cruising. Pretty much anything a little fatter for slush surfing or soft bumps at a more casual pace.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems to me that all skis are good on good corn, but I had there best corn run of my life last Thursday and my Motive 95s made me feel like I was Ted Ligety.

As a clyde, I would highly disagree with this statement. Maybe for a 150 lb person its true. I have skied my non-FIS Slalom ski in corn and it is not fun. When I down weight hard on a turn, I can cleave a 6" deep rut in the snow and it feels like I just fell off a step.

I would amend the statement to all "medium to wide" skis are good in corn. And when it softens to mashed potato's, I can subtract the medium skis too. For me, 88mm + works in almost anything.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
works fine....and actually good and fun different ideas.

The issue with most narrowor skis especially stiffer narrow skis is that they will not form enough platform on a high edge angle to let the snow feel alive.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
As a clyde, I would highly disagree with this statement. Maybe for a 150 lb person its true. I have skied my non-FIS Slalom ski in corn and it is not fun. When I down weight hard on a turn, I can cleave a 6" deep rut in the snow and it feels like I just fell off a step.

I would amend the statement to all "medium to wide" skis are good in corn. And when it softens to mashed potato's, I can subtract the medium skis too. For me, 88mm + works in almost anything.

I thought we are talking about corn here. Not just general spring conditions.

chris719

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
A friend of mine skis an Elan cheater GS (65mm) in 176 as a spring ski... of course he has a 2 ski quiver and the other ski is a 183 Nordica GS ski with piston plate...

Danny

aka Cometjo
Skier
I like my volkl shiros a lot in corn and slush but I like them in pretty much anything soft. Wide (119mm underfoot) full rocker, but not much splay and enough sidecut to carve. A very versatile ski, as Sierra Quitiquit demonstates here

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm going old school, for spring and corn my old 205 GS skis just rock. The punch, the grip and the carve without the catch and throw when it goes wrong.

What makes modern skis so good is what makes them bad in those conditions.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I'm going old school, for spring and corn my old 205 GS skis just rock. The punch, the grip and the carve without the catch and throw when it goes wrong.

What makes modern skis so good is what makes them bad in those conditions.

would love to see video o your carving why don t you post some?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If we had any snow left here it would be good. This year I got out once. I don't thing a smiley with tears expresses properly.

Didn't think through the swim season ski season properly when the kids went competitive. I'm writing this sitting at a swim competition (day 3).

BTW Josh don't get me wrong, I love the new GS and SL cuts as they made everything so much easier, but on spring snow the keep you on your toes especially with a race tune. Instant negative reinforcement if you make an error in those conditions, the straights let me get sloppy a little more.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
ummm you know what else lets get sloppy.....

a 30 meter 100 under foot ski with tip and tail rocker.