• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite Corn Skis

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As the season progresses we have talked about all types of skis, race (SL/GS/Masters/Ect), Carving skis, All Mountain Skis and even Rock skis...but what are some of your favorite sping Corn skis? What do you look for in characteristics?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
on good corn snow....anything really its the easiest most giving surface known to man.

If it starts to get deep and choppy in open area a ski with out much sidecut 100ish underoot and stiff is what I prefer. My 187cm Bones or 185cm Capos are the 2 that come to mind for that surface. Diane will use her 166cm Brahmas or 171cm Rossi Schimitars.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Well, we never really got to the 'corn' phase this year. With the crazy snow dump/stay cold for a few days/ rain and or 50 degree temps, the cycle gave us more 'stick' than 'surf' snow... but I digress.

My 'Tokyo Nights' Goats are a long standing favorite for Spring, also my Enforcers (100mm version) seem to have the right stuff as well. I find that the same characteristics of a 'crud/ tracked out mess ski' work best for my liking. Fairly firm tip, maybe a touch of early rise to make things more relaxing, able to deal with a firm run or two in the AM before things soften up, work in the slush bumps and generally help create a giant smile on my face...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I had a pair of Volant skis that skied well in the CORN. The only issue was they got heavy in the CORN.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We're having an excellent corn year and I've brought out everything from race to powder to find my preference. Corn days here generally means I'll encounter everything from frozen to heavy corn and everything in between. I like something that will really hold an edge in the firm and then slice through piles when it gets soft and maybe deep, but still snake around piles if that's the line.

As in most conditions the Stockli AX-s have been terrific but last year's Head Titan's are really hard to beat in the various spring conditions. I'm being told the new Titan's with the hammerhead tip aren't quite as friendly in slush or powder but I haven't yet been on them.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What do you look for in characteristics?

Stiff to very stiff and UN damp. Waist doesn't matter.

I would have loved to try some of those Tantals @graham418 couldn't quite get on with in corn.

Of this year's skis, the Vantage 100 CTI is quite nice, so is @mishka 's MR95 (mounted on the line, not forward)

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Personally, if it's really steep corn and corn bumps, something a bit wide and softish but still tracks and steers well... I loved the Nrgy 100 for that stuff. At a certain point, really skinny stiff'ish skis are a bit too reactive for my taste, but certainly still skiable. The other day, the morning was spent on a cheater GS from firm o'clock until half past soft, and the afternoon on a Kore 105 when the off piste stuff started to bake nicely. Those worked, and they're certainly stiffer than the Nrgy's. Corn could be the most forgiving surface known to ski and human kind... Most all mountain-y things, widish or narrower, will work pretty darn well. ogsmile

colospgmike

Putting on skis
Skier
If its just corn the Nordica E100's as it turn to full on mashed taters my 12/13 Rossi S7's. This spring it will be Hit AB early for breakfast, park in the first or second row. Hammer the Z-77's am. pop back to the truck at lunch and grab the Rossis. This spring as in about 2-3 weeks from now. I skied both the enforcers and a pair of FX 84's last spring and ended up with a ding on the side of both skis in about the same spot from the tips deflecting in the really soft snow. After that I played with the S7's the following week and stumbled on for me the best afternoon spring at the basin ski in my 21 years here. I learned how to water ski and snow ski as a kid about the same age so that might be my frame of reference.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
Fischer Pro Mtn 95. Handles the frozen stuff in the morning and at night while being damp and compliant as well as the afternoon slush. But then I pretty much think the world of these skis.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread caught my eye, as I absolutely love spring skiing. To me in the East, that means frozen AM slopes, transitioning to corn, then to mashed potatoes, then to slush. To qualify my response, I am 6'4", 240lbs, expert. I haven't found a ski better in spring conditions than the Ski Logik Charriot TT. It is 101mm underfoot and has about a 145mm tip and medium stiff flex. It carves the refrozen, floats on top of the rest, and absorbs most anything. You can rip slalom turns, charge, or cruise wide GS turns. It also shoots out a mean rooster tail at anyone coming up from behind you. My friend has the same ski and its like getting hit with a paint ball gun, without the stain.

Other skis I sometimes use in spring: Salomon Xdrive 8.8 FS (bull dozes anything in its path, no ski deflection), Liberty Origin 96 (lots of rocker, haven't used it much in spring so far, new this year). I tried using my MX78 but it is too narrow for mashed potatoes and slush for my weight.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I loved how my Moments worked in the corn. (Deathwish 112mm wide, 190cm long, 27m sidecut, unusual triple camber design)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it's going to be full-on mush before quitting time, I grab the Motive 95s.

If slightly less warm/deep, the Titans @ 80 mm.

Both will provide huge fun over a wide range of snow conditions, as the day progresses.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Seems to me that all skis are good on good corn, .

Eh, not sure I would go that far. I registered some definite corn dislike in the past couple of seasons; the 16/17 Laser SC, the Kicker POTUS, Faction's Agent 90 and 100, Mad Russian MR100 come to mind here.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ski the katanas, and at 112 it's perfect.

It's my back country ski, and the width helps when you're sinking in about six inches, when you missed the corn window.

This happens all the time , either due to miscalculation or skiing different aspects during the same run.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Eh, not sure I would go that far. I registered some definite corn dislike in the past couple of seasons; the 16/17 Laser SC, the Kicker POTUS, Faction's Agent 90 and 100, Mad Russian MR100 come to mind here.

Well, I'd love to increase my sample-size, but great corn seems to be more rare than powder.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hmm ... seems to me that almost any ski is going to work nicely in good corn. Nobody has turned up yet to recommend a FIS slalom ski, but it's only a matter of time.

Sponsor

Staff online